gettin into it.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sportsroof
2010 Mustang GT
So I tore down the engine today, apart from some cobwebs, rust, and grime, there wasn't any nasty surprises. I put a straight edge on the heads and they seem slightly warped so they are getting sent to the machine shop to get checked out/fixed up.

2011-07-18 12.38.57.jpg

So I tore down the engine today, apart from some cobwebs, rust, and grime, there wasn't any nasty surprises. I put a straight edge on the heads and they seem slightly warped so they are getting sent to the machine shop to get checked out/fixed up.
What do you plan to do to the engine? Chuck

I was in a bind last time I had to take the engine apart and ended up putting the old head gaskets back on it, which didn't last long. Water was getting into a few cylinders and it was getting real hot real fast.

All I'm doing now is freshining up the whole engine. New head gaskets, clean up the heads, new headers/exhaust, servicing the tranny, new filters/fluids.

I was in a bind last time I had to take the engine apart and ended up putting the old head gaskets back on it, which didn't last long. Water was getting into a few cylinders and it was getting real hot real fast.

All I'm doing now is freshining up the whole engine. New head gaskets, clean up the heads, new headers/exhaust, servicing the tranny, new filters/fluids.
Sounds like you'll stay busy for a while. I hope things go well for you. Chuck

Remember when you put it back together that the head gaskets can be put on backwards which will cause a lot of overheating issues.
Yes I know and checked when I pulled it apart today to make sure that wasn't what happened. It actually ran good for a while but once it got up to temperature it only held for a few seconds, then temps skyrocketed.

Remember when you put it back together that the head gaskets can be put on backwards which will cause a lot of overheating issues.
Yes I know and checked when I pulled it apart today to make sure that wasn't what happened. It actually ran good for a while but once it got up to temperature it only held for a few seconds, then temps skyrocketed.
What do they say in Drag racing.....Heat is horsepower:D

Don't forget the thermostat. It must be for a Cleveland and you need to make sure the brass bypass cup is in the block below the thermostat or you will have overheating.

Andy

Back