Getting down to the nuts and bolts of things

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code convert., 351C 2V, FMX, 9in., Ram air, Pwr Steering, Pwr Disc brakes, air-conditioning, 15" sport wheels, Ivy Glo w/white deluxe interior.
Looking ahead to reassembly, that's if I can force my memory to remember what went where while avoiding the dreaded "remaining fasteners box", I've started searching body bolt kits.

Many of the nuts and bolts removed are a bit worse for wear than comfort allows but haven't ruled out cleaning them. Small hurdle to overcome since I lack an effective cleaning method outside sitting there for hours or days using a hand-held wire brush or grinder/drill motor fitted with a wire wheel. I have re-fitted some of the fasteners to use the wire brush and it does make it easier but not as effective as I'd like.

If I end up determining new fasteners are the correct path and given the production stages are dated hovering in August/September 1971, we've translated the completion date, thru available methods, to be 17 September 1971.

So, if I make the purchase, is it the '71 or '72 kit? September '71 is really close to that cusp between models and there is a difference by about 20 pieces as well as some descriptions of the type of bolt/nut/connector/part number and quantity.

Thanks!

During the model year transition old stock got used until exhausted and new item were introduced, sometimes a new vendor was used to cover shortages of some parts. The only way to tell for sure, if the car has never been taken apart, is to ID the fasteners as they are removed and bagged and tagged. Cross referencing the Ford assembly manuals and the AMK catalog is also helpful. Good luck with the build. Chuck

During the model year transition old stock got used until exhausted and new item were introduced, sometimes a new vendor was used to cover shortages of some parts. The only way to tell for sure, if the car has never been taken apart, is to ID the fasteners as they are removed and bagged and tagged. Cross referencing the Ford assembly manuals and the AMK catalog is also helpful. Good luck with the build. Chuck
I expected that answer but hoped it would have been a harder '71 or '72. Think I'll just get the '71 and go from there. Purposely adding nuts and bolts to the "leftovers" box is better than mistakenly adding or running out. Bagging and tagging as you mentioned, started with me using triple-wall corrugated boards but quickly flew out the window because that's where any extra space could be found.
I find that taking pictures before disassembly is also very helpful in the reassembly process.
I have a few of those but the operator of the camera basically sucks at taking pictures.
“AMK Products Guide to Ford Fasteners 1955 - 73” is an excellent and detailed reference.
Looking at them as a source. I found a couple complete kits on evilbay too, so we'll see. Now that I've had the shielding gas fiasco, from another topic, the fasteners are on hold until I can rework the expenses. Might take an extra month or four but I really do need to replace the air compressor so I can properly clean and paint.

Latest posts

Back