Girl Power: Send your carburetor to Riley’s Rebuilds, the teenage tuners

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
66 Mustang 347/C4
69 Cougar XR7 460/C6
A gated neighborhood in an upscale Tampa suburb is a strange place to send your carburetors for rebuilding. The shop sits in the three-car garage of a lovely home, alongside a similarly lovely turquoise 1957 Chevrolet Nomad wagon. There is a long table with some chairs, and a workbench is parked next to a couple of soda blasters. All is lit by florescent bulbs overhead.

This the modest domain of Riley’s Rebuilds, a carburetor rebuilding service headed by Riley Schlick.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/peopl...uretor-to-rileys-rebuilds-the-teenage-tuners/

People are just really afraid of carburetors, but in reality they are really easy to rebuild. I learned to do Holley carbs when I was like 16-17 years old from a friend that was a mechanic and a racer. I did the Thermoquad carb on my 72 Demon 340, when I was 16-17 years old by just reading the instructions on the rebuild kit and the carb came out fine. Carbs have very few parts, and there is very little that you can screw up, besides forgetting to put parts back in, maybe a steel ball or something of the sort, putting the incorrect gasket in (many carb kits come with multiple gaskets), or not adjusting the float correctly. The only real issue that can come up is with really old carbs that were run forever that need to have the throttle shafts bushed, that is something that I can't do.

I 'rebuilt' them with rebuild kits for years as a mechanic. Unless you have the tools to clean out all the passages, replace bushings, check play and check for warpage (very common and a source of phantom vacuum leaks) all you are doing is refreshing one.

Has anyone seen the price for the new "Edelbrock" carb? It looks like it could be a carb tuners dream or nightmare. I can't say which. Chuck

I have been building carburetors for 50 years. The first thing to do is get lowest vacuum reading at ide with ignition timing and valves adjusted correctly and Write down camshaft duration at .050. Send that information to shop with carb so they can choose correct power valve and what size holes to drill in throttle blades so at idle speed the throttle blades are not uncovering the idle slots. I have people bring me carbs in a box and tell me to build I send them back to install and get vacuum and cam information or take carb to someone who guesses at what it needs

I think it's great what they're doing, I do take issue with the "tuner" in the articles title. Rebuilder ≠ tuner.

Has anyone seen the price for the new "Edelbrock" carb? It looks like it could be a carb tuners dream or nightmare. I can't say which. Chuck
Looks very interesting. If Edelbrock retains the quality of their casting work, it's miles ahead of what Holley has been shipping lately. I haven't seen anything in regards to pricing, but the features on this place it in the Holley Ultra XP range. I'd expect a simplified two or three circuit to follow once production ramps up.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...w-edelbrock-vrs-4150-four-circuit-carburetor/

People are just really afraid of carburetors, but in reality they are really easy to rebuild. I learned to do Holley carbs when I was like 16-17 years old from a friend that was a mechanic and a racer. I did the Thermoquad carb on my 72 Demon 340, when I was 16-17 years old by just reading the instructions on the rebuild kit and the carb came out fine. Carbs have very few parts, and there is very little that you can screw up, besides forgetting to put parts back in, maybe a steel ball or something of the sort, putting the incorrect gasket in (many carb kits come with multiple gaskets), or not adjusting the float correctly. The only real issue that can come up is with really old carbs that were run forever that need to have the throttle shafts bushed, that is something that I can't do.
You and I are likely kindred spirits from afar. I was living in Woodland Hills, CA, back in the mid-60s through the mid-70s. In 11th grade (1970-1971 junior year) I rebuilt my first carb, also a Holley. It was a 780 CFM with vacuum secondaries that I plopped on top of a 383 and an Offenhauser 360 dual plane high rise manifold. The car was a 1966 Chrysler Newport with a 3.23:1 rear axle gear set behind a TorqueFlight 727. The size and weight of the Chrysler helped keep the car grounded despite an engine rebuild that was done with non-stock internals. That led to a lot of Quadrajets, where my "secret" was to replace those foam floats every time, whether it looked it was needed or not, and epoxying the channel plugs that would so often leak raw fuel into the intake manifold unless they were sealer.

Although I preferred working on four barrel carbs I would not turn away from 1 and 2 barrel units. The Ford 2100/2150 carbs were especially easy and fast to rebuild, with very few things in their design that had to be corrected. Then in 1978 I began working at a Ford dealership as a tech, and along came the 2800 variable Venturi carburetor... Folks HATED them, and I could never understand why other than them having a very different way of operating. I rebuilt a lot of them, to include for outside repair shops who would bring them to me for rebuilding and initial (off-the-car) setup. Then came the EEC related 7200 Variable Venturi cars not long after. I was pulled into white collar America just before throttle body fuel injection hit the streets, so I missed out on that phase. But, I had worked on diesel and multifuel engines with mechanical fuel injection in the Army, on large tactical trucks. So, I was very familiar with the way fuel injection worked without the electronic controls. Bridging the technical gap in the computer world and EFI was not hard for me. But, I never had to rebuild an EFI system as by then I had been swept into the computer universe, where I was part of a firm that created computer solutions for auto dealership operations. Later I started my own computer consultancy, with a focus on dealerships needing the custom data extraction and translation applications I had created.

Having been retired for 3 1/2 years I have fully returned to my "roots" by acquiring several vintage Mustangs and Shelby. My favorite pastime is to work on those cars, with Lynda (wife and Mustang Chick in her own right), and make How-To YouTube videos with her whenever we feel we are getting into something that may be of interest to others. On my 65th birthday, nearly 3 years ago, my ex-wife called me - a very unusual thing for her to do. She asked if I remembered what I said I wanted to do when I retired, back when she and I were together (mid-70s). Nothing profound came to mind, other than me wanting to work for a hobby (which I ended up doing). She said, "All you wanted to do when you retired was work on and play with your Mustang, And now look, that is exactly what you ended up being able to do!" That was a very nice call from her. and she was right. It really is all I wanted to do upon retiring. I got so lucky, and get to cross tire tracks with the likes of you and HemiKiller (and many others), where we get to share our experiences with one another, and provide help to folks who are less experienced than we are. I love seeing the posts from fellow enthusiasts who have worked on these pony cars for so many years. And I also enjoy sharing my experience when it feels appropriate. Often a question is answered very nicely already, and needs no further elaboration from me, other time I jump in (anyway). It is all good.

Attachments

• AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_3of4_20211007.JPG
    AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_3of4_20211007.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
mrgmhale,
It would seem that you may have another kindred spirit.....me. I to, used to live in Woodland Hills, Ca. I went to Taft High School, right on the corner of Winnetka and Ventura Blvd. My parents lived south of the boulevard, up Vanalden. I just about lived in Auto Shop in high school, and was chosen by the shop teacher, Mr. Howard, to compete in the "Plymouth Trouble Shooting Contest", along with another guy, John Klumph. That was back when cars had carburetion. We won and trophyed our first competition,then got knocked out by two guys from Orange County. Oh well, but we gave 'em hell. I've since kept my hands in the automotive game.
Carbs have always been something I've gotten along with ever since those auto shop days. AFBs, Holleys, Autolites, Rochesters were common to rebuild, but most of all, because I was so involved with the hot rod culture, Stromberg EE-1s ( 81s, 97s, 48s ), became a hobby/sideline, and I aquired a large assortment of replacement parts. Eventually, Speedway, and an English based company, started manufacturing NEW 97s. At that point, it was costing as much to overhaul a Stromberg, as to buy a brand new one, so I stopped doing them.
I still do all my own carbs though. .
I think that story about the girls having a carb overhaul business ( that Rktman posted alink to ) is great. It's slowly becoming a lost skill, being that there's a majority of F.I. running today. I hope those girls go on to be sucessful in whatever they choose to do in life.

Here's the "Plymouth Trouble Shooting Contest" trophy from '73. Throughout the years, I've only met one other person who's been chosen to compete in that, and he did it in '59, going all the way to the National competition, coming in 5th in the nation. I don't think the competition is held anymore.

Attachments

• plymouth contest sticker.jpg
    plymouth contest sticker.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
  • trouble shooting trophy.jpg
    trouble shooting trophy.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A gated neighborhood in an upscale Tampa suburb is a strange place to send your carburetors for rebuilding. The shop sits in the three-car garage of a lovely home, alongside a similarly lovely turquoise 1957 Chevrolet Nomad wagon. There is a long table with some chairs, and a workbench is parked next to a couple of soda blasters. All is lit by florescent bulbs overhead.

This the modest domain of Riley’s Rebuilds, a carburetor rebuilding service headed by Riley Schlick.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/peopl...uretor-to-rileys-rebuilds-the-teenage-tuners/
Girl Power re: the rebuilt carburetors. How very cool. Thank you for sharing. How very cool, a very different approach in securing teen employment - do it herself and get some friends involved. I sure wish I had some mentoring back at that age where I felt confident I could rebuilt carburetors for folks (at age 17). By age 18 I had done a few carbs (successfully), and even corrected some issues with the rebuilding, so the cars ran noticeably better, ??At the Ford Dealership I was doing carb overhauls all the time, and became in very high demand when the 2700, and later 7200, Variable Venturi models came out. Most of the VV carbs were basket jobs from other shops, and even a local Lincoln store one time.

mrgmhale,
It would seem that you may have another kindred spirit.....me. I to, used to live in Woodland Hills, Ca. I went to Taft High School, right on the corner of Winnetka and Ventura Blvd. My parents lived south of the boulevard, up Vanalden. I just about lived in Auto Shop in high school, and was chosen by the shop teacher, Mr. Howard, to compete in the "Plymouth Trouble Shooting Contest", along with another guy, John Klumph. That was back when cars had carburetion. We won and trophyed our first competition,then got knocked out by two guys from Orange County. Oh well, but we gave 'em hell. I've since kept my hands in the automotive game.
Carbs have always been something I've gotten along with ever since those auto shop days. AFBs, Holleys, Autolites, Rochesters were common to rebuild, but most of all, because I was so involved with the hot rod culture, Stromberg EE-1s ( 81s, 97s, 48s ), became a hobby/sideline, and I aquired a large assortment of replacement parts. Eventually, Speedway, and an English based company, started manufacturing NEW 97s. At that point, it was costing as much to overhaul a Stromberg, as to buy a brand new one.
I still do all my own carbs though. .
I think that story about the girls having a carb overhaul business ( that Rktman posted alink to ) is great. It's slowly becoming a lost skill, being that there's a majority of F.I. running today. I hope those girls go on to be sucessful in whatever they choose to do in life.

Here's the "Plymouth Trouble Shooting Contest" trophy from '73. Throughout the years, I've only met one other person who's been chosen to compete in that, and he did it in '59, going all the way to the National competition, coming in 5th in the nation. I don't think the competition is held anymore.
Hi! Taft High School, an arch rival our ours. I went to El Camino in WH. Lots of somewhat friendly rivalry. I do not recall any fights breaking out after various games between our schools. I attended ECR from Fall 1969 - Summer 1972, then went to Pierce 1972 - 1974 to get an A.S. in Auto Technology.

While at Pierce I was also selected to be part of our team for the Chrysler Trouble Shooting event. B ut, at the last moment "someone" at aa senior staff level (administrator) decided there was not enough money to sponsor our participation. Heck, those of us on the team would have handled our own expenses, and any participation fees had there been any, and I bet we would have done great. I was definitely all jacked up and ready to go for it! Alas, it is what it is.

So, back to Taft. It was the Summer of 1973, and one cool evening I was cruising out to Encino on Ventura Blvd. (as opposed to the freeway). Just when I went past Taft HS I saw a gorgeous 1969 Blue Shelby GT500, going in my direction. As I was driving I could not eyeball that beautifully carved machine. But, I did take note that the driver was a Taft student I recognized (like a former having graduated). I did not know his name, but I know I had seen him somewhere before, and was pretty sure it was with the Taft crowd at a recent game with ECR. Anyway, by then I was already a raving fan of 1969 and 1970 Mustangs (and earlier, but the 69-70 models really tripped my trigger). ???///I fell in love with the 69 (and70, of course) Shelby vehicles at that moment, and just knew that someday, somehow, I was going to get one. Well it was not until Summer, 2017, that I finally found one in candyapple Red with factory air conditioning. And, I was able to snag it before getting it purchased out from under my feet (again).

So, I did finally get a bog block 69 (428CJ), despite knowing quite well how hard it is to change spark plugs with those FE engines. It is my all time favorite car, with our 2020 GT500 right behind.

What year did you graduate from Taft? If it was in the 72 or so time period you may have known who that one kid was that was driving that Shelby. Not that it matters, it is more about the car than the one guy.

You are the first person from Woodland Hills I have come across in all the Forums and Groups I am a member of (excluding a high school friend of mine who s also a car nut. I chat with him often, lifetime friends).

Attachments

• >>>FRONTLEFTSIDEVIEW -1969-Shelby-GT500-copy.jpg
    >>>FRONTLEFTSIDEVIEW -1969-Shelby-GT500-copy.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3877.JPG
    IMG_3877.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_4of4_20211007.JPG
    AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_4of4_20211007.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
mrgmhale,
I graduated one year behind you in '73. ECR was blue and gold school colors, if I remember correctly. Likely, being car guys, we may have bumped shoulders sometime. Back then, prior to mail order businesses, the place to get your parts was a "speed shop". Super Shops, and House of Chrome, on Van Nuys Blvd was popular, as was Valley High Performance in Reseda, and my favorite, Glendale Speed Center on South Brand, in Glendale. Being into the hot rod scene, I was often in Ford Parts Obsolete on Vanowen in North Hollywood, and Ford Obsolete in Long Beach, on west Willow Blvd.
The guy I was partnered with for the Trouble Shooting Contest, was also a car guy, he and his entire family had Fords, HOT Fords. John was his name, and John had two older brothers, each of the three brothers had multiple fast Fords......all Mustangs. John had a '65 Shelby GT-350, and a yellow '66 fastback 4-speed, with a tunnel ram . The single carb stuck up through the required hole in the hood, and it was fast. One of John's brothers did have two '69s, one being a Boss 302, and the third brother had a Boss 429 Mustang. Possibly the '69 you saw belonged to that one brother. Although I also owned a chopped '34 coupe back then, my everyday runner was a beautiful restored '30 Model A Coupe, so if you ever remember seeing one of those around a lot, that was probably me.
I also, went to Pierce Jr. College after high school. I took Automotive Engines, and Welding classes there. If I recall ( that was a few moons ago ), Mr. Trenchero, was the Engines Instructor's name. That name might be wrong, but sounds right to me.
It sure can be a small world, huh?

Last edited:
mrgmhale,
I graduated one year behind you in '73. ECR was blue and gold school colors, if I remember correctly. Likely, being car guys, we may have bumped shoulders sometime. Back then, prior to mail order businesses, the place to get your parts was a "speed shop". Super Shops, and House of Chrome, on Van Nuys Blvd was popular, as was Valley High Performance in Reseda, and my favorite, Glendale Speed Center on South Brand, in Glendale. Being into the hot rod scene, I was often in Ford Parts Obsolete on Vanowen in North Hollywood, and Ford Obsolete in Long Beach, on west Willow Blvd.
The guy I was partnered with for the Trouble Shooting Contest, was also a car guy, he and his entire family had Fords, HOT Fords. John was his name, and John had two older brothers, each of the three brothers had multiple fast Fords......all Mustangs. John had a '65 Shelby GT-350, and a yellow '66 fastback 4-speed, with a tunnel ram . The single carb stuck up through the required hole in the hood, and it was fast. One of John's brothers did have two '69s, one being a Boss 302, and the third brother had a Boss 429 Mustang. Possibly the '69 you saw belonged to that one brother. Although I also owned a chopped '34 coupe back then, my everyday runner was a beautiful restored '30 Model A Coupe, so if you ever remember seeing one of those around a lot, that was probably me.
I also, went to Pierce Jr. College after high school. I took Automotive Engines, and Welding classes there. If I recall ( that was a few moons ago ), Mr. Trenchero, was the Engines Instructor's name. That name might be wrong, but sounds right to me.
It sure can be a small world, huh?
I'm certain we may have bumped shoulders at Pierce. I enjoyed all the automotive classes, tremendously. Mr. Trinchero (aka Mr T) was a favorite. He always had a wise crack to offer about nearly all issues, and being an Army veteran he was quick to help dissuade anyone from going into the service as his own experience was so grievesome. I went into the Army anyway (74-77), and found it to be a rewarding experience in many ways.

About 10 years ago I dug up Mr T's home phone # and called him., I told him he may not remember me amongst all the students he taught over the years, and if that was the case I would not be offended or hurt - it is reality. He did not recall who I was after all those years (I went there 72 - 74). I then told him how much I appreciated all I had learned from him, and his fellow instructors. I shared with him the twists and turns my life had taken me (all good), and how I wound up in the computer industry. While in the computer industry a lot of the diagnostic approaches I learned from him (mostly electrical systems class) served me so well with computers, as in both fields a lot of the approach is harnessing logic and knowledge about how electricity works. I also told him I had become financially independent, and was working in a company I founded where I was providing consulting services for car dealers re: their computer systems. I also told him I was already working for a hobby as I had no need for any more money. He was retired by the time I called him, and he appreciated my having reached out to him like that.

By the time I did speak with Mr T other instructors had already passed on (Mr. Renzi, Mr Popkins) I am not sure if Mr Atkins had already passed on my then or not, but I am sure he had already done so.

I went to night school at Cal State San Bernardino from 79 - 84, after leaving the Army, and earned a BA in Economics. The BA opened a lot of doors for me, and I did learn a lot re: business, finance, and how money works. But, when it came to the rubber hitting the road, the more valuable education was proven to be what I learned at Pierce with my AS in Automotive Technology. That was shown to be the case in retirement for sure, as I have essentially returned to my automotive roots with all this time I have on my hands, and I could not be happier. When I turned 65, three years ago, I got a rare call from my ex-wife, who was married to me back in my Army and post-Army days. She asked if I remembered what I said I wanted to do once I retired. Well, I had said a lot of things, the most important of which is that I anted to build enough wealth to be able to work for a hobby (which I did). But, that is not the thought she wanted to share with me. "You always said that when you retired all you wanted to do was work on and drive your Mustang. And look at you, you have accomplished that. You are so lucky, and now I get what you meant back then. You are living your dream." Dang, I forgot I had said that, but now that she stirred that memory up I know it is one of the tings I wanted to accomplish.

Last edited:
Back