Glove box light bulb question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm adding the glove box light to my 72 convertible and recently picked up a switch on Ebay. I know the plug goes into the map light harness. The light bulb would need to go into the rubber boot which is super small. Anybo
Whoops, sorry my thumb slipped. Anybody know what type of bulb this part takes?

Attachments

• 20240627_134416.jpg
    20240627_134416.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240627_134436.jpg
    20240627_134436.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 1
The glove box takes an 1895 bulb. I don’t see your bulb socket in the photos. Here is a photo of the correct bulb and what the socket looks like installed.

Attachments

• IMG_8504.png
    IMG_8504.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8505.png
    IMG_8505.png
    9.9 MB · Views: 1
Thanks Steve, appreciate your comments. I guess I've been confused with the rubber boot. I've got a few follow up questions if you can please elaborate. The bulb in your image is the one with the black wire, right? I must be missing the socket. So the socket plug into the rubber boot then? Is this the same type of twist socket used in the gauge lights? Any idea who might have the socket and lead for this?

The light socket in my photo is the one with the black and pink striped wire and the green and yellow striped wire. The green-yellow wire gets power from the passenger side door jamb switch for the bulb and the black/pink is the ground that is switched on and off using the glove box door actuated switch. Your switch has two wires where the ones on my cars only have a single black/pink wire for switching in the ground. Was your switch advertised as having come from a 71-73 Mustang?

The light socket in my photo is the one with the black and pink striped wire and the green and yellow striped wire. The green-yellow wire gets power from the passenger side door jamb switch for the bulb and the black/pink is the ground that is switched on and off using the glove box door actuated switch. Your switch has two wires where the ones on my cars only have a single black/pink wire for switching in the ground. Was your switch advertised as having come from a 71-73 Mustang?
Thanks for the clarity on this. This one I have was advertised as for 71-73 but it must not be correct. I do see the type just like yours available via vendors like CJ Pony Parts so that's what has happened. I'll get the correct one.

Thanks for the clarity on this. This one I have was advertised as for 71-73 but it must not be correct. I do see the type just like yours available via vendors like CJ Pony Parts so that's what has happened. I'll get the correct one.
Yours may be from a 71-73 Cougar. I see that same harness on the West Coast Cougar web site and they do indicate that it is for a 71-73 Mustang as well, but I have three 73 Mustangs and none of them have that wire harness for the glove box light. You can make it work just remember it is switching the power side not the ground. There are probably many light sockets that would work with that. You won’t see it after it’s mounted anyway.

Latest posts

Back