Greetings from London - UK!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1dave

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi all!
Been a member on the site for a while now, but not formally introduced myself yet, so thought I'd tell you a little about my car! 1971 Mach 1, 351c 2v with FMX box, fibre glass wings and bonnet, Edelbrock 650 carb and manifold. Probably the most unoriginal '71 on the planet, but I love it! Owned for over 30 years now, I drove it into the ground for the first 15 years, then took it off the road into storage for a while when it needed some welding, thanks to being parked/kept outside and our beautiful British weather!! Little did I know, the roof rails were leaking, water was running down behind the interior panels and pooling on the floor! Anyway, got secure storage about 10 years ago so was sort of neglected while I messed about with various other year Mustangs. Decided to get her up and running during the lockdown and here she is! Won't be to everyones taste, but I love the black and white colour combination. No abuse from you purists please, it was already messed about with when I got it!!IMG_20211113_122500 (2).jpgIMG_20211030_113715 (2).jpgIMG_20211030_113727 (2).jpgIMG_20210908_112916.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_113735 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211030_113735 (2).jpg
    206 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for sharing. I bet you get some attention when you take it out! I like the look (other than the black doors, police car vibes).
Thanks. Definitely can't be the shy guy type out in it, what with the 'cherry bombs' as well....! Doors were good used items (yellow) and satin black was the best finish I could get out of a rattle can in a pinch! Only temporary till I can get them properly done white! Sort of matches the rest of car for now though.
Our Police cars don't have different colour doors here!!

Hello and welcome from an ex-pat now living in SW Ontario Canada.
Your car your way, no problem from this "purist"..... well sort of.
I like the totally blacked out tail panel, never thought of that one before, but yeah, the black doors gotta go!
The very first Mach 1 I ever saw was in 1972 in Birmingham where I lived. It was Grabber Lime with black interior, black-out hood and side stripes. I fell in love (with a car!!) and have owned 4 since moving to Canada in 1973.

Hi and totally jealous of your move to Canada!
Saw my one at a US car show, was all white then, fell in love with it too, and it was for sale! Telephone chat a couple of days later and it was mine. Had to collect from Birmingham too! Strange!

I like her look. Steering wheel looks just like the one that came on my car when I got it. Those Grant horn buttons are notorious for not staying on. I replaced it with this one and never looked back. https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Leather-Steering-Adapter-Running/dp/B06X6HQ39D
Thanks, will take a look. I actually forgot to put the horn push back on after replacing the wheel, not had any problem with it popping off, but it does seem to only grip on by half a mil or so, so I'm sure it will one day!!

Hi all!
Been a member on the site for a while now, but not formally introduced myself yet, so thought I'd tell you a little about my car! 1971 Mach 1, 351c 2v with FMX box, fibre glass wings and bonnet, Edelbrock 650 carb and manifold. Probably the most unoriginal '71 on the planet, but I love it! Owned for over 30 years now, I drove it into the ground for the first 15 years, then took it off the road into storage for a while when it needed some welding, thanks to being parked/kept outside and our beautiful British weather!! Little did I know, the roof rails were leaking, water was running down behind the interior panels and pooling on the floor! Anyway, got secure storage about 10 years ago so was sort of neglected while I messed about with various other year Mustangs. Decided to get her up and running during the lockdown and here she is! Won't be to everyones taste, but I love the black and white colour combination. No abuse from you purists please, it was already messed about with when I got it!!View attachment 59571View attachment 59572View attachment 59573View attachment 59575
I love it. Don't change a thing!

Hi all!
Been a member on the site for a while now, but not formally introduced myself yet, so thought I'd tell you a little about my car! 1971 Mach 1, 351c 2v with FMX box, fibre glass wings and bonnet, Edelbrock 650 carb and manifold. Probably the most unoriginal '71 on the planet, but I love it! Owned for over 30 years now, I drove it into the ground for the first 15 years, then took it off the road into storage for a while when it needed some welding, thanks to being parked/kept outside and our beautiful British weather!! Little did I know, the roof rails were leaking, water was running down behind the interior panels and pooling on the floor! Anyway, got secure storage about 10 years ago so was sort of neglected while I messed about with various other year Mustangs. Decided to get her up and running during the lockdown and here she is! Won't be to everyones taste, but I love the black and white colour combination. No abuse from you purists please, it was already messed about with when I got it!!View attachment 59571View attachment 59572View attachment 59573View attachment 59575
Welcome to the forum. It was good to see you and your Mustang. Well done!

You won't hear me knocking your color scheme. I am just happy to see yet another enthusiast who is also a near extreme fan of these gorgeous Big Nose Mustangs. We have three (maybe four) of them, kind of. Our 73 Mustang Convertible, and 73 Mach 1 are for sure part of the 71-73 group of Big Nose Mustangs. But, we also have what I believe served as inspiration for the Big Nose Mustang design. We have a beautiful Candyapple Red1969 Shelby GT500 that is in perfect condition! So, hear me out on this one, please. The 1969 and 1970 Shelbys had fiberglass front fenders and hoods. But, they were not just made of fiberglass. They were also 4.6" longer than their 69-70 Mustang Counterparts' metal fenders and hoods. So, it looks to me like the 71-73 Mustangs lifted that extra nose extension design, and made it their own in 71-73, which I feel was a great move.

For that matter, although it may be a bit more of a stretch, it seems to me that at least visually the 2020 Shelby GT500 has a relatively long set of front fenders and hood also. So, I think that we may actually have four Big Nose Mustangs, where the 1969 and 2020 GT500s are kind of "honorary members" of that club. No matter how many folks see it that way or not, I certainly feel we have a nice mix of pony cars in our corral. If I had more room I would love to add a 1971 Boss 351 to our little fleet. But, alas, reality bites. I would not be willing to sell any of our current ponies to make room for a Boss 351. So, things will remain as they are for now.

Attached is a relatively recent photo of our 4 ponies outside our guest home, Casa De Shelby. We have:
1969 Shelby GT500,
1973 Mustang Convertible, with just over 20,000 original miles on it,
1973 Mach 1,
2020 Shelby GT500.

We purchased that Casa De Shelby guest house primarily so we would have two more garage stalls to house some of the pony cars. At our main residence we built a third car garage, and in one of the 3 stalls we installed a four post lift that serves as a place we can stack two cars. Plus we do all kinds of work more easily when using the lift to raise the pony cars off the ground. We could install more of the four post lifts in other garage stalls, and gain additional parking for more several more pony cars. But, the reality is the four posts for the one lift takes up a lot of "walking around room," which makes for a tighter squeeze than we want in the one garage stall as it is. One such lift is good, but more would be too much more. So, even though adding another lift would make room for another pony car it is not a practical solution, at least no yet. If I happen to "accidentally" come across a 71 Boss 351 in great condition, and for an attractive price, I may just have to rethink that position. Damn, this is one fun hobby! Just what I needed for my retirement years!

Attachments

• AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_3of4_20211007.JPG
    AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_3of4_20211007.JPG
    553 KB · Views: 6
  • >>>FRONTLEFTSIDEVIEW -1969-Shelby-GT500-copy.jpg
    >>>FRONTLEFTSIDEVIEW -1969-Shelby-GT500-copy.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 1997DelSol_7_2020ShelbyGT500_7_FourPostLift_Stacked_20200418.JPG
    1997DelSol_7_2020ShelbyGT500_7_FourPostLift_Stacked_20200418.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hi all!
Love it, Hi Dave, I'm in North East Surrey near Banstead. Still working on my rust bucket 71 sportsback 302. Nice car you got there 👍

Hi and totally jealous of your move to Canada!
Well, the only things I miss about the UK are family, friends, pubs and English beer, some of which I can get here in cans. The politics and like BS you can keep over there. Mind you, that said, it's got to be much the same way here now too. Political viewpoints are not allowed on here, so read between the lines.
Other than that, I love it here in SW Ontario. Pretty good overall climate, not too much of anything nasty. Life has been good, other than.................

Latest posts

Back