Guns & ammo

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys I am thinking about buying my first gun. What budget friendly handgun would you recommend? New? Used?
1. I do not know enough about guns to buy a used one, unless it came from a gun shop with a solid warranty. As a result, I buy new. But I would buy a gun from a trusted friend/relative.

2. I suggest going to a gun range and renting a few guns. Load, shoot, and see what you like. If you can hit a target with Gun A and not Gun B, why would you choose Gun B unless you intend to miss.

3. If you have a significant other, make sure they get an opportunity as well.

4. Keep in mind the frequency you will be using the firearm. I believe a good rule of thumb is if you are purchasing a single handgun for use sparingly, a revolver is probably more user friendly. If you go to the range and load/shoot, you can determine this for yourself.

5. I would NEVER buy a firearm without shooting a similar weapon from the same manufacturer. Too many variables- Sights, Kickback, Loading, Weight.

6. I would also find someone you know and trust near you. Not that I don't trust my local firearms dealer, but their job is too make money, not provide you with the weapon which will best defend you.

Hey guys I am thinking about buying my first gun. What budget friendly handgun would you recommend? New? Used?
1. I do not know enough about guns to buy a used one, unless it came from a gun shop with a solid warranty. As a result, I buy new. But I would buy a gun from a trusted friend/relative.

2. I suggest going to a gun range and renting a few guns. Load, shoot, and see what you like. If you can hit a target with Gun A and not Gun B, why would you choose Gun B unless you intend to miss.

3. If you have a significant other, make sure they get an opportunity as well.

4. Keep in mind the frequency you will be using the firearm. I believe a good rule of thumb is if you are purchasing a single handgun for use sparingly, a revolver is probably more user friendly. If you go to the range and load/shoot, you can determine this for yourself.

5. I would NEVER buy a firearm without shooting a similar weapon from the same manufacturer. Too many variables- Sights, Kickback, Loading, Weight.

6. I would also find someone you know and trust near you. Not that I don't trust my local firearms dealer, but their job is too make money, not provide you with the weapon which will best defend you.
Great advice. Not all gun manufacturers are created equal. My $.02 is you can't go wring with Smith & Wesson, Ruger, or Springfield Armory. But use several models to see what works for YOU.

One of the controversial questions is how big of a caliber do you need.

Many people didn't think my wife could handle a .357. She proved them wrong. But then, she had plenty of experience handling me.

check out the zig m 1911 45 at budsguns $399, i got one ,as good as the reviews say it is

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the controversial questions is how big of a caliber do you need.

Many people didn't think my wife could handle a .357. She proved them wrong. But then, she had plenty of experience handling me.
But many people are scared of higher powered calibers. My wife is one such person. I, however, have no problem with power. That's why it's so important to try different pistols in different calibers.

If you dont plan to shoot it alot...And dont want something that is hard to clean or take apart....and want something that wont let you down in a pinch....I recomend getting a revolver.....anything up too 357 is fine for most starters...revolvers dont have the jam issues that some auto's do...Hold enough rounds...and are fun too shoot...Plus if you get a 357 wheel gun you can shoot 38 special threw it too...A lighter round with less kick.

But if you just have to own a semi...I would defenatly stick too one of them cheap 1911's...400 too 500$ will get you a decent mil spec 1911 "not sure now" Price mite of come up a bit..lol..Hard to beat the colt design for reliablity and fun to shoot.

New or used is fine with me..But if you do go and look at used guns..Make sure you take some one along who knows them very well...Sometimes used can saved you alot of money...And if it comes to picking out the caliber to buy.....You can always go into a local indoor gun range..and they will let you rent or use guns they have in range..Usualy a good selection...And see what you like

I like every round thou...17cal on up too 58 cal.....There has been very few guns i shot i didnt enjoy shooting...I mite of not liked this or that about it...But most have been fun and a joy too shoot....All have good points and bad..It all counts what you want it for... Fun or defence? or both?

But if you just have to own a semi...I would defenatly stick too one of them cheap 1911's...400 too 500$ will get you a decent mil spec 1911 "not sure now" Price mite of come up a bit..lol..Hard to beat the colt design for reliablity and fun to shoot.
It seems here in Utah all of the "assault" weapon and ammo prices have gone up, but handguns and relevant ammo is actually cheaper. Wonder why that is? :/

There is a place called Hi point that makes guns here in America, life time warranty, that are very, very inexpensive. I have the .45 ACP, and for the money you can't beat them!

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/
Ohh yes...They hard to beat for there money...I owned the little 40 cal carbine for a while..Good little guns...My freind loves them to death..gots the 9mm..380...pistols

They tried to destroy one...Pretty tuff i would say for 155 bucks new.

Thanks for the reminder about High Point.

It is difficult to find someone who has a complaint about them.

I "ve been saving ammo only because it's too chilly to shoot comfortably.I reload-it's fun on a rainy day & you can make ammo pretty cheap.I need to shoot some up because my guncabinet shelf is buckling from the stockpile.I'm a fan of everything,semi-auto pistols,revolvers,bolt action,leverguns,pumps &semi-rifles.As for women & guns,mine is about 5'2" she loves to shoot my 44mag 8 3/8" barrel.I used to belong to an indoor shooting range,fun in the winter,but got too political ,so now I just shoot in the backyard when weather permits.I used to own a S & W 500magnum,anyone tried one of those ?Talk about a handfull !!!:D

Anyone holding back and not shooting up a lot of their ammo? Me, I'm stocking up like a prepper. Aparently others are too since the ammo shelves are empty. So are the gun cases for that matter.
O.K. Don,

I"ve been thinking.......You have too many Mustangs & I have too many guns.....We should meet up and do some trading!!!!:idea:

Eric

I would stick with a name brand and it depends on how you want to carry your pistol. If you want something that will always be with you, I would choose a Ruger .380 LCP and a pocket holster, I have the Kel-Tec .380 and it goes everywhere in my pocket.

If you want something a bit bigger I would choose a Glock 27 and a ankle holster, just won't work in shorts. It is also hard to beat the Smith & Wesson .38 ultralite for reliability. I have the Kahr PM 40 in my ankle holster and it is super accurate but a bit pricey and quite a handful to hold on to with the recoil.

In my opinion buy something that you will carry, if that is your intent. If you just want to have it close by in the car, you are only limited by the size of your glovebox or console. But, check your state laws on where you can transport your pistol, some states want it out on the seat, mine requires it to be in the glovebox or trunk.

never liked her but, may change my mind just a little

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/01/16/lady-gaga-under-fire-over-assault-rifle-bra-costume-used-in-concert/?intcmp=features

picked this up tonight copy and pasted specs Bersa 9mm ultra compact pro

THUNDER 9MM - ULTRA COMPACT PRO SA/DA. Extended slide release. Loaded chamber indicator. Ambidextrous safety, slide release & mag release. White outline rear sight. Anatomically designed, polymer grips. Picatinny rail. Safeties: manual, firing pin & decock. Integral Locking System. Lifetime service contract. Wt.: approx. 23 oz. 3-1/2" barrel, Capacity: 13, Matte finish.

Specifications

Manufacturer:

Bersa

Manufacturer Sku:

T9MP13

Caliber:

9mm

Type:

Pistol

Action:

Single / Double

Capacity:

13 + 1

Barrel Length:

3.25"

Finish:

Matte Blue

Sights:

Rear White Outline

Weight:

23 oz

Grips:

Black Polymer

Safety:

Manual

9mm.jpg

That's a loaded question. The Bersa 9 that Roy mentioned is a great pistol. I'd go with that. Bersa is a great but lesser known name. I have no problems buying used guns at a gun store. 9mm is the cheapest caliber to shoot and still be a self defense pistol. See the handgunlaws.us website for good info.

Anyone holding back and not shooting up a lot of their ammo? Me, I'm stocking up like a prepper. Aparently others are too since the ammo shelves are empty. So are the gun cases for that matter.
O.K. Don,

I"ve been thinking.......You have too many Mustangs & I have too many guns.....We should meet up and do some trading!!!!:idea:

Eric
Eric, I can do that. Got any ARs you'd be willing to part with? For hand guns I like 9mm, .40 & .45 caliber. Not much of a striker fired fan though. 1911 is my favorite pistol type.

never liked her but, may change my mind just a little

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/01/16/lady-gaga-under-fire-over-assault-rifle-bra-costume-used-in-concert/?intcmp=features

picked this up tonight copy and pasted specs Bersa 9mm ultra compact pro

THUNDER 9MM - ULTRA COMPACT PRO SA/DA. Extended slide release. Loaded chamber indicator. Ambidextrous safety, slide release & mag release. White outline rear sight. Anatomically designed, polymer grips. Picatinny rail. Safeties: manual, firing pin & decock. Integral Locking System. Lifetime service contract. Wt.: approx. 23 oz. 3-1/2" barrel, Capacity: 13, Matte finish.

Specifications

Manufacturer:

Bersa

Manufacturer Sku:

T9MP13

Caliber:

9mm

Type:

Pistol

Action:

Single / Double

Capacity:

13 + 1

Barrel Length:

3.25"

Finish:

Matte Blue

Sights:

Rear White Outline

Weight:

23 oz

Grips:

Black Polymer

Safety:

Manual
I got 1 of these this fall used in the duo-tone stainless,It's nice in the hand & built very well,I love mine.

Don,

If my teleporter was'nt in the shop, I'd grab some out of the safe & come see ya! Too bad theres so much real estate between us I'd be on my way with car trailer in tow!!

Eric:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back