Harmonic Balancer Installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Hello,

Will hopefully be installing new balancer on 73 351 C tommorrow. Do not have impact wrench ... I understand how to keep crank from spinning ...does anyone know the correct torque specs or do I just tighten the crank bolt very firmly ? Thanks

It's a bit more work, but it's actually better you don't have an impact, IMHO. A lot of people tend to over-tighten, then have to back off in using an impact.

Good luck with it!

Hello,

Will hopefully be installing new balancer on 73 351 C tommorrow. Do not have impact wrench ... I understand how to keep crank from spinning ...does anyone know the correct torque specs or do I just tighten the crank bolt very firmly ? Thanks
Hello,

Thanks to all ... follow up question ... guess I use the appropriate installer/tool (?) Main question ... do I tighten down with the tool until the balancer seats and then tighten the bolt to proper torque ? How much of an effect does a short extension have on the torque reading ? Thanks

The tool is nice as you are using the threads on the tool to pull the balancer on vs. using the threads in the crank.

A short extension will have a negligible effect on torque reading. If you are concerned about it, just torque to the high side of the tolerance.

In addition to the information above, using a longer (6" or more) 3/8" extension will indeed have some effect on it, and will increase as the torque goes higher (even still, it's not a lot). But a 1/2" short extension (less than 6") is solid enough to hold its own.

I would recommend using the 1/2" drive/extension/socket if possible. If you have a 3/8" torque wrench, use a 3/8"-to-1/2" adapter ahead of the short 1/2" extension.

Thanks to all ... how do I know when the balancer is seated or as far onto the crank as necessary ? Thanks

steve

It will bottom out and you will feel it.

I installed an ATI dampner with a separate hub. Per the instructions you boil the hub for a short period of time and this expands it and allows it to go on with an interference fit. After a bit of research it appears this will also work with standard balancers. Just boil it for abbout 10 minutes prioor to the install and put a bit of grease on the seal and the crankshaft

It will bottom out and you will feel it.

I installed an ATI dampner with a separate hub. Per the instructions you boil the hub for a short period of time and this expands it and allows it to go on with an interference fit. After a bit of research it appears this will also work with standard balancers. Just boil it for abbout 10 minutes prioor to the install and put a bit of grease on the seal and the crankshaft
Hello,

I got the new balancer installed and everything torqued to specs ... still have the vibration. At this point I believe it is coming from engine as opposed to the drive line or wheels ... any suggestions ? Thanks

steve

We need more information. First I would put a vacuum gauge on to see if the readings are steady or erratic. The possibilities are pretty much wide open at this point, help us help you.

Can you tell us when you feel the vibration, whether it is steady or rhythmic, does it occur at idle? does it go away on the road at certain speeds?

If it is at idle, can you post a video with sound? Have you pulled and inspected the plugs?

We need more information. First I would put a vacuum gauge on to see if the readings are steady or erratic. The possibilities are pretty much wide open at this point, help us help you.

Can you tell us when you feel the vibration, whether it is steady or rhythmic, does it occur at idle? does it go away on the road at certain speeds?

If it is at idle, can you post a video with sound? Have you pulled and inspected the plugs?
got it ... I will post more info. when I can. By the way I was able to do the work without removing the radiator. Just the fan shroud, fan and pulley's. Again ... thanks to all for the info.

Back