Haters gunna hate

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the earlier than 71 mustang crowd who says the earlier mustangs are better when looking at my 71 (that I've recently sold) I say "Yeah, I have a fully restored 65 convertible at home but I get tons more compliments on the 71. Seems that everyone and his cousin has a 65 to 70 mustang at the shows but these Mach 1s get a lot of attention whenever I stop."

The earlier Mustangs have been mega-popular for so long that they have had a longer time to become "mundane" to the casual observer.

Our cars have not been as widely popular for as long, so I think there is a bit of "freshness" there for a lot of people that may not be there for the older models.

Just idle speculation, of course...

Was talking to a bloke out the front of work today about cars and crap when a grabber lime 71 rolls by. So I says told old mate "how cool does that look" I know this dude has a nice dark blue 69 428 Mach. He says "yep they look good then i remember to hate 71 - 73s" Start talking the usually crap not real mustangs no real performance,heavy, large,bullshit bullshit you know the usual crap. So I asked him to check the weight on his own smaller car for perspective and as for no hot models what about 429s Boss 351s or HOs and reminded him that not every mustang prior to 71 was a bruiser. He agrees and says he still has to dislike them because they just ain't as cool as earlier cars.i ask him if you had to choose between the cool 6 cyl 66 or a very undesirable 71 429 what would you take home. It was all pretty light hearted,bit of a fun back and forth stuff but in the end he admitted he would take home the uncool 71 especially if it was grabber lime :rolleyes:
Haaa well I was around when the 71's came out. I was devastated!!!! FORD had let the tried and true blue blood Ford dedicated believers down in a bad way. They had RUINED the beautiful Mustang and gave us this BIG BOAT while taking away the beautiful tough aggressive look of the 69 and 70 and gave us this POS LUXURY car with a Mustang tag. Yep a big ole LUXURY CAR with a weak azz motor that couldnt get out of its own way. Keep in mind the Cougar suffered even WORSE results and NEVER recovered. GM ... took a different look and never let their followers down until the 90's. Now...we've learned to love the car that "appears" big....but is 1 foot longer than my 67 Convertible, same width and sports a very low curb weight.... very deceptive ! It's actually shorter in height than my 67 sitting side by side yet looks HUGE. What an impressive style character from way back then.

Haaa well I was around when the 71's came out. I was devastated!!!! FORD had let the tried and true blue blood Ford dedicated believers down in a bad way. They had RUINED the beautiful Mustang and gave us this BIG BOAT while taking away the beautiful tough aggressive look of the 69 and 70 and gave us this POS LUXURY car with a Mustang tag. Yep a big ole LUXURY CAR with a weak azz motor that couldnt get out of its own way. Keep in mind the Cougar suffered even WORSE results and NEVER recovered. GM ... took a different look and never let their followers down until the 90's. Now...we've learned to love the car that "appears" big....but is 1 foot longer than my 67 Convertible, same width and sports a very low curb weight.... very deceptive ! It's actually shorter in height than my 67 sitting side by side yet looks HUGE. What an impressive style character from way back then.
It's funny that from the rear the 2004 Mach 1 looks a lot bigger than my 73 convert, but the hood tells the real story!

Ha Ole Pony...didnt you know that BIG OLE BODY car is HUGE????

When my car was in the body shop, it was parked next to a 69 SuperBee....my car was SMALL in comparison in every way. it was amazing. Our cars are very deceptive.

The parallels between the 71-73 and the Harley Sportsters is interesting. I have a sporty that gets as much attention as my lime green car. People talk bad about them on the net but love them in person. Envy is one of the seven deadly sins.

I’m old enough to remember the intro of the first Mustang and also when the ’71 came out. I did not feel the ’71 was an improvement over the ’70 but I still liked it then and now. I like them more now than when they were new.

One thing to do when people go out of their way to criticize your car is to ask to see what they drive. When I bought my ’71 I told a long time “car buddy”. He immediately said a ’71 wasn’t worth working on and asked why I didn’t concentrate on the projects I already have. I asked him how the ’71 compares to his “toy” car. He’s had a solid lifter ’68 SS Chevelle, a like new ’70 SS Chevelle, a ’68 SS Camaro, a’71 RS Camaro (all four speeds) and a few other cool cars. The key here is “had”. He sold his last fun car in 1977. I told him that if he didn’t want to drive the ’71 I would not try to force him: “I didn’t say I wouldn’t drive it”. Case closed.

Guess everyone feels dif about when the 71 first come out..."i was not around at the time" ..My dad told me he was at a local race track when he seen his first 1971 mach 1..He said it was black with silver stripes with a big block cobrajet in it..He said it pulled up next too his 67 shelby GT-350 and made his car look like a old turd..lol I guess sometimes it is your first impression that stay with you. He thought it looked better than any stang he seen before or after it, He allways had a special spot for these years after that...He drove alot of diff years and he liked these over all in every way...They handled better he said, and road nicer and looked stunning "atleast to him" He did not seem to carry any bias over from being a previous mustang owner.

The parallels between the 71-73 and the Harley Sportsters is interesting. I have a sporty that gets as much attention as my lime green car. People talk bad about them on the net but love them in person. Envy is one of the seven deadly sins.
Yuck a Sporty isn't that a girls bike :)

Just joking mate, i have had a few hot big twins that have been shown a clean set of heels by a sporty. There is a reason that drag strips where full of them back in the day. Karl Morrow had a few tough 96ci 1s that I personally have seen raced back in the 90s. Just go with a plate that has XLFU to rub it in man

My sporty will look really nice next to this baby. Now I just need a turbo on the stang.

1357422671255.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude start a thread for this little beast we must learn more and view more pictures of it. Well done Sir.

My sporty will look really nice next to this baby. Now I just need a turbo on the stang.

[/quote

Awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuck a Sporty isn't that a girls bike :)

Just joking mate, i have had a few hot big twins that have been shown a clean set of heels by a sporty. There is a reason that drag strips where full of them back in the day. Karl Morrow had a few tough 96ci 1s that I personally have seen raced back in the 90s. Just go with a plate that has XLFU to rub it in man
My dad told me back when the sporty come out it was quick to become the official bike of the hells angels. and if you was caught on a bagger you was called a old gramps on your heavy lead slead..lol I owned a old iron head sporty my self for a short time.

I think it is funny and odd how the old bad ass bike is now the called a girl's bike...lol "Sign of changing times"

HAMC charter states you must ride an american big twin over 75ci and not a Garbage Glide ie not a bagger. Aus Chapters never had this ruling so you could always ride what you wanted here

Back