Header Gasket Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Coupe
All,

I'm looking at buying and replacing my header gaskets and I have a question. I have a 351C 4V, 4 speed with hooker competition headers.

How can you tell what size the ports are and if the ports are round or square? Most of the sites I'm looking at are selling 1.78" square port and 1 3/4 diameter round port. I've got some pixs of my headers.

a7utybyp.jpg

y5uveven.jpg

y2apetam.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have 4V's head so you need the appropriate gaskets, there are only 2 choices, 2 V's or 4 V's.

For 4V's

FEL-PRO MS90332

VICTOR REINZ MS15182

Manu

I run the solid copper gasket and have had a lot of good luck with them. Seem to seal much better than a stock paper gasket. And they are reusable.

Thanks for the replies and the advise. So how about these...

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hok-10877hkr

I took a good look at my headers yesterday, I'm thinking its going to be a bit if a pain to get all the bolts out. Is it easier to go in from the top or the bottom? Thanks again...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I should read twice before answer, I think it's better to go back to english courses.

Sorry I'm french.

It is not an easy with our big 351-blocks... ;-)

I ended up going from the top - from the bottom it is too less space on the drive's side! I know it is a lot of fiddling but once you had it done a few times it goes better from time to time. Let the outer two screws the last ones you unscrew. With a good 4V-gasket you could attach it without removing them because of the two 'hooks' at each end. But the total remove is better for cleaning up the surface with a razors edge or something like that. Hook the headers up with a rope to not bending them too much against the bottom...

Tim

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk

Back