Headers or not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going with droptop on this one except he left out one important problem with headers vs manifold which is plug access, some headers make changing spark plugs a complete nightmare. I have polished a lot of stock manifolds to get better flow and have always been satisfied with the results. You can mirror polish exhaust ports and manifolds to get a smoother flow, and less carbon build up but you will need a dremel with flex shaft, inspection camera, a lot of grinding and polishing stones, and a hell of a lot of patience. Oh and you can smooth up intake ports as well but DO NOT mirror polish those.

If your exhaust is in good shape I wouldn't worry about adding headers, assuming that you're still basically stock save for a mild cam upgrade.

If your rebuild included a compression bump, intake change an other other engine efficiency upgrades (it is an air pump), then perhaps the long tube headers would help.

I would maybe upgrade to headers and a mandrel- bent 2.5" dual system all at once at a later time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back