headlight box adjustment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepasquale1

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Mach 1
Hey guys.

today I installed my grille and ran into a problem. with the grill installed I noticed that the ridge on the grille where the headlight bezel rests is butting up against the back of the fender cap. with it being the way it is it will be impossible to install a headlight bezels. I do have reproduction fenders but factory headlamp assemblies (headlight boxes). has anybody ever ran into problems with these or are there easy ways to adjust the boxes? it appears that the headlamp box needs to sit back a little further but I don't see how that's possible when the box is bolted to the front of the fender. any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

IMAG1811.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you have the 73 fenders and not 71-72? I hate to ask that seeing them already painted, but that is what first comes to mind. I would recommend posting closer pictures of the obstruction and what is not fitting properly for others to help diagnose.

Hey guys.

today I installed my grille and ran into a problem. with the grill installed I noticed that the ridge on the grille where the headlight bezel rests is butting up against the back of the fender cap. with it being the way it is it will be impossible to install a headlight bezels. I do have reproduction fenders but factory headlamp assemblies (headlight boxes). has anybody ever ran into problems with these or are there easy ways to adjust the boxes? it appears that the headlamp box needs to sit back a little further but I don't see how that's possible when the box is bolted to the front of the fender. any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.
Can you take a better close up picture ?

The box is actually bolted to the rad support & fender..There should be lots of adjustment on the box itself..BUT if you changed the rad support & the back of the box is flush to the rad support ..The only way to get it back is going to be to slice the box on it's mounting points take out a section(the amount you need to get it back) then reweld back together Or hog out all the mounting holes to give you more adjustment...The other issue could be the actual bracket on the fender. again hard to tell with out a much better pictures

This is why I keep stressing how important it is to put all the trim etc. on the car BEFORE it's painted..

ill get better pics for you guys tomorrow. thanks. i know that the box is not flush on the drivers side to the core support

the obstruction if looking at the above pic is on the drivers side lower RH corner. the grille is touching the back of the fender cap making it impossible to install the headlight bezels. i know its hard to see but i will post more pics

Q beat me to it...there is a lot of room for adjustment with the headlight boxes.

Start by taking your hood pin brackets off and from underneath and the back loosen everything and then start moving things around. It's gonna take some time and patience.

It took me almost 2 days to adjust the headlight boxes on my 72.

There should be enough room to move things around as Bill already wrote.

JB

Thanks guys. After loosening everything back up and adjusting here and there i got em. Thanks for the help.

IMAG1815.jpg

Back