Help needed (questions) on a Q code 72 mach

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Had a couple questions on "Q" code 351c. Im preparing to go take a look at a Q code 1972 mach1 4 speed. The vin # states this.
What can I look for in differences in the Q engine v/s the regular 351c like in my 71 4v?? Say maybe the valve covers? Carb? It has been re-painted so I cant go off of car stickers .
Should it have staggered shocks?
Here is door tag info
body 63r
color 2b
trim ge
tran 5
axle 73
first part of serial # 2f05q
Thanks for your help!

In 72 the Q codes were the only 4 barrel equipped 351 Cleveland engines in 1972 except the rare R codes HO engines, all the H code cars had 2 barrel carbs. So, the first thing that you should find is a 4 barrel 4300 Motorcraft/Autolite carb. The heads should have a number 4 cast on the upper corner of the heads, this denotes that they are the big valve 4V heads. The intake manifold is a cast iron spread bore type intake, and is completely different from the 71 4V M code intake which has a square bore bolt pattern. if it has any carb besides the stock 4 barrel carb, you will find an adapter spacer on it. No aftermarket carb will bolt onto that weird spread bore intake without a spacer. I can't think of anything off the top of my head where you could look at an installed 72 351 Cleveland (without starting to check casting numbers), besides the weird intake manifold and carb combo and say yep that is a 72-73 Q code 4V, and not a 1970-71 M code 4V. The valve covers were steel and painted blue just like on the 1971 351 4V M code engines.

You can check the 7173WIKI tab above for code information. Color 2b is red, trim ge not listed, 5 is a 4 speed, axle 73 not listed but should be A,S,9, or R, just a single digit code, 9 or R if it had factory AC, A or S with no AC. 63R is a Mach1 as is the 05 in 2F05Q. I believe Q code 4 speeds had the competition suspension which include staggered rear shocks and rear sway bar.

GE trim is Vermillion Mach 1 Sports Interior. Killer combo with the Bright Red exterior.

Guessing that 73 is the DSO - Salt Lake City Utah.

Q-code would have the 3.25 or 3.50 rear. 3.25 was mandatory with AC as Doug noted above. It should also have an air cleaner with the auxiliary air door on the driver's side, and a chrome lid. You can't check for 4 bolt mains without a borescope or pulling the pan.

Block should be D2AE-CA. You can use a mirror to look for the VIN stamping on the driver's side of the block below the head.

72 351CJ non-California stick cars had a dual point distributor. You want to check the stamping, should be D2ZF-EA If it had California emissions, it's single point and D2ZF-FA.

Carb would be D2ZF-AA for non-California, D2ZF-CA w/California. Stamp is located on the driver's side front mounting lug.

You can more or less verify correct heads with the 4* in the corner, and by pulling a valve cover to check the date code. Date codes are year/month/day. You'd want something that precedes the car's build date by a month-ish. Not a bad idea regardless to check how clean the engine is.

351c_block_vin_locations.jpg

Last edited:
An update and another look see. I was to go look this 71 q over Last wednesday. The guy got Covid so I couldnt go. He did send a couple other pics. Was hoping you guys could look them over and maybe tell from the intake what we might have here.
My original question was.....What can I look for in differences in the Q engine v/s the regular 351c like in my 71 4v?? Say maybe the valve covers? Carb?
Thanks Everyone

Attachments

• 71 carb 3.jpeg
    71 carb 3.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 23
  • 71 carb 2.jpeg
    71 carb 2.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 24
  • 71 carb 1.jpeg
    71 carb 1.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 23
The D1ZE intake is the 351CJ intake. He has a Holley spreadbore 4175 carb on an adapter plate. Valve covers are aftermarket. Best you can do to prove originality is the VIN stamp and date codes.

Im Canadian honk honk...
, having 2 cobrajet mustangs, one mach1 and one hardtop, i might be able to say YES they should have staggered shocks ..my hardtop came with drum brakes, that is perplexing for me.

also most had "N" nodular 9 inch carriers, how you tell?, it has a big N on the face and top of pinion.

hope that helps..also whats the price? if its a lot, best you order a marti report, then you will know for sure, it would be worth the $50 to know its what he says it is.

71 conv from hawaii, 72 Q auto hardtop and 72 Q 4spd mach1

Thanks hemi Killer! I appreciate you!

Im Canadian honk honk...
, having 2 cobrajet mustangs, one mach1 and one hardtop, i might be able to say YES they should have staggered shocks ..my hardtop came with drum brakes, that is perplexing for me.

also most had "N" nodular 9 inch carriers, how you tell?, it has a big N on the face and top of pinion.

hope that helps..also whats the price? if its a lot, best you order a marti report, then you will know for sure, it would be worth the $50 to know its what he says it is.

71 conv from hawaii, 72 Q auto hardtop and 72 Q 4spd mach1
Thank you for your reply!

Back