Help with Speedo cable lube

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Hi everyone,
Im on my 3rd new speedo cable. Heres what Ive done in the past.
I removed the cable from its sheath to lubricate the cable. I made a mixture of wht lithium grease and graphite then put it into the palm of my hand and ran the cable through it. I put 3 cc of the grease into the sheath with a syringe at the speedometer end. I installed it making sure there wasn't any sharp curves or kinks and away from all heat sources. I put this cable on 3 days ago and it made it 30 miles before it started jumping ( jumps are 10 miles hour).
Is there another lube I could use? something better than what ive been using? What about this stuff?
1720156308771.png
Thanks for your help
Rod

Last edited:
We used to use axle grease, but I don't know if that is correct for this speedo cable.

Not sure what you mean by jumping. However, I had an issue once with the speedometer needle being erratic while driving after I had removed the gage cluster and reinstalled. Turned out the speedo cable was not fully snapped onto the back of the speedo. Snapping it in position was not easy, very hard to get a good grip on the cable and push it hard enough to snap it onto the speedo, very tight clearance for my hand. Getting the gage cluster wiring connector snapped in also tricky making sure the printed circuit tabs on the back of the cluster stays folded into the rectangular hole where the wiring snaps in.

Originally, I thought the cable was either broken or in need of lubrication. It was neither, just not fully snapped into position, but just enough for the cable to contact the back of the speedo and drive it intermittently via friction.

Not sure what you mean by jumping. However, I had an issue once with the speedometer needle being erratic while driving after I had removed the gage cluster and reinstalled. Turned out the speedo cable was not fully snapped onto the back of the speedo. Snapping it in position was not easy, very hard to get a good grip on the cable and push it hard enough to snap it onto the speedo, very tight clearance for my hand. Getting the gage cluster wiring connector snapped in also tricky making sure the printed circuit tabs on the back of the cluster stays folded into the rectangular hole where the wiring snaps in.

Originally, I thought the cable was either broken or in need of lubrication. It was neither, just not fully snapped into position, but just enough for the cable to contact the back of the speedo and drive it intermittently via friction.
The speedometer needle jumps erratically ( as if the cable in a bind) . The needle is fine and doesnt jump for a while say 30 miles or so.

This post has good timing my speedo started acting up the other day the odometer seems to be fine but the needle sometimes has a mind of its own. It buried its self one time and it wildly fluctuate while holding a steady speed.
I tried reaching up under the dash to make sure it fully snapped in place. It seems like it but as Doug mentioned it is very hard to tell and it was really hard to snap in when I had the cluster out and the pad off and trim plate off. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Latest posts

Back