hey there from South Carolina!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slaphappy

Reaction score
My Car
SlapHappy
new to the page! thanks. i have a 73 vert. i have some odd questions, why, when and who etched the car vin into each piece of glass? i guess it was some type of security but was it a dealer thing? a personal thing the previous owner did? would it be from ford that way?
what can i do to repair the sloppy stearing ?

No, the VIN engraved on the glass not a factory thing. That was done by a 3rd party to try and deter the car being stolen and stripped for parts.

For sloppy steering, there's a punch of parts connecting the steering wheel to the tires. Some of the more common ones that can lead to sloppy steering are the tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, wheel bearings, rag joint, and steering gear box. You kinda have to jack your front end up and wiggle everything around to see which parts are moving more than they're supposed to.

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario Canada.
As for the front end sloppy steering, any new car to you, should have a full mechanical inspection by a qualified (knowledgeable) mechanic before you drive it. In Ontario, it is the law and all vehicles must be "safety checked" before they can be licensed.
In the meantime, you can do as Giantpune suggested so you have an idea. If your steering wheel has a lot of rotational free play, like 2" or more, then the chances are the steering box (assuming it's power) needs to be rebuilt or changed.

new to the page! thanks. i have a 73 vert. i have some odd questions, why, when and who etched the car vin into each piece of glass? i guess it was some type of security but was it a dealer thing? a personal thing the previous owner did? would it be from ford that way?
what can i do to repair the sloppy stearing ?
on my '73 convert, the #1 steering slop was the rag joint. go there first, cheap and easier...

A 100+ degree welcome from Texas! Whew its HOT! As other members has indicated, mo pics! Like Playboy or Penthouse etc, I don't buy Mustang or Hot Rod Magazines for the articles!!! :LOL:
Do you have a tilt steering column? Sloppy steering, besides the aforementioned issues, could be a bad U Joint in the tilt steering column if so equipped.

Back