Hi From Georgia - 1971 Mustang Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Germany! 

Nice optioned vert you have there, I have seen much worse. If it was Maroon Metallic I would keep the color, it is very rare and nice looking in the sun... 

Have fun  :thumb:
Thanks timachone. I haven't seen any Maroon Metallic painted Mustangs. Not sure yet if I will change the color but I am leaning towards Bright Lime. I will keep your comment in mind when it comes time to paint it.

Welcome from East Texas! Looks like a great project car, and does not really look like it has that much rust, seen a LOT worse.
Thanks 71ProjectJunk. Unfortunately is was neglected over the years so it is pretty rusted. The body is in pretty good shape. Some bondo in the lower rear quarters and hood. Hopefully I can just patch those

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from CT!

That's a very well optioned car, wonder if it was a special purpose unit for a show or press use. Did you get a Marti Report yet?
Thanks Hemikiller. I did get the Standard Marti report before I bought my convertible but I don't think the Standard report states if it was a special purpose unit, press use, etc. I will be getting a Deluxe Marti soon so should find out more about that. It was ordered through the Detroit DSO (48) but not sure if that means anything. 

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario Canada.

You've got some work to do there, but it is doable for sure. 

If you were unaware, there is a partial VIN stamped at the back of the driver side block, just below the head. It will be 1f XXXXXX, but you may need to do some scraping to find it. For the longest time, I truly believed there wasn't a VIN stamping on my engine, but when it was rebuilt, low and behold, there it was barely visible. To my relief, it confirmed a perfect matching set of numbers.
I wasn't sure where the partial VIN was actually located so thanks Stanglover. I will take a look this weekend and see if I can uncover it. 

I wasn't sure where the partial VIN was actually located so thanks Stanglover. I will take a look this weekend and see if I can uncover it. 
A mirror and camera might help............ in reverse of course! Head date cades are a bit easier, but you'll have to remove valve covers. Head casting numbers are hard to get unless you pull the intake, they're under the inlet runners. Transmission should also be stamped with the partial VIN, but I'm not sure on an automatic. 

Welcome from the Augusta Georgia area. I am about 2 - 2 1/2 hours from you. You look like you have a great project ahead, mine was in much worse condition and I am almost done. A four year project but well worth it in my opinion. Good luck.

Tom

At least rust is less visible on a brown car. There. Boom 1/2 work done already! :D

Welcome from the frozen northern Netherlands
Oh and open a build thread for your progress, I like nice stories for breakfast!

Welcome from Birmingham AL! Glad you joined this site. You have a great car to restore. My signature has a list of some of my cars. I have two that Maroon color that both need restos. Just a suggestion, but you might want to keep the car the original color. It is very rare and not many M codes in Maroon are still on the road. It also was a 71 only color, which makes the color rare. You might be able to "tweak" the color to make it a little better. It's actually nice looking in a fresh basecoat/clearcoat. It also looks great with the white top and interior. The car can definitely be restored. Most body parts are available now. The hardest thing will be the front torque boxes. Has anyone on this site had to do that before? They don't reproduce the torque boxes. I have a couple cars that need them. Can they be fabricated? Can you post a picture of the Marti report? You need to order the factory invoice for that car from Kevin Marti. Best of luck, Kevin.

Welcome from Birmingham AL! Glad you joined this site. You have a great car to restore. My signature has a list of some of my cars. I have two that Maroon color that both need restos. Just a suggestion, but you might want to keep the car the original color. It is very rare and not many M codes in Maroon are still on the road. It also was a 71 only color, which makes the color rare. You might be able to "tweak" the color to make it a little better. It's actually nice looking in a fresh basecoat/clearcoat. It also looks great with the white top and interior. The car can definitely be restored. Most body parts are available now. The hardest thing will be the front torque boxes. Has anyone on this site had to do that before? They don't reproduce the torque boxes. I have a couple cars that need them. Can they be fabricated? Can you post a picture of the Marti report? You need to order the factory invoice for that car from Kevin Marti. Best of luck, Kevin.
Thanks for the welcome kevken1959. Very cool list of Mustangs you own and very jealous. 

I have some original paint areas on my Mustang so I figured I would buff them out and see what the original paint used to look like. It looks like a nice color and is very similar to my 1969 Royal Maroon convertible (at least sitting in the garage). Still contemplating if I should keep the color original or go with my favorite, Bright Lime. Wanted to add the painted hood and side stripes and have seen a few Maroon's with the argent stripe and hood - but not crazy about it (based on the pictures). Maybe black hood and stripes would look better.

I have been researching sheet metal and I don't see much made specifically for the convertibles. It mostly seems to be for coupes or fastbacks and needs modifications to fit the convertibles. 

My Marti Report is attached below.

1F03M173179 Marti Report.pdf

Attachments

• 1F03M173179 Marti Report.pdf
    171.3 KB · Views: 22
Welcome from North Idaho.  I look forward to watching your progress.

I'm guessing this isn't your first "project".  Curious what else have you brought back to life?
Thanks Idaho Chris. This isn't my first project. When I was younger I restored several Mustangs but then marriage, kids and my job put an end to that. I also own a 1969 Mustang GT convertible I restored. It's Royal Maroon, black interior, factory 4 speed and factory 390 engine. 

Thanks for the welcome kevken1959. Very cool list of Mustangs you own and very jealous. 

I have some original paint areas on my Mustang so I figured I would buff them out and see what the original paint used to look like. It looks like a nice color and is very similar to my 1969 Royal Maroon convertible (at least sitting in the garage). Still contemplating if I should keep the color original or go with my favorite, Bright Lime. Wanted to add the painted hood and side stripes and have seen a few Maroon's with the argent stripe and hood - but not crazy about it (based on the pictures). Maybe black hood and stripes would look better.

I have been researching sheet metal and I don't see much made specifically for the convertibles. It mostly seems to be for coupes or fastbacks and needs modifications to fit the convertibles. 

My Marti Report is attached below.

1F03M173179 Marti Report.pdf 171.34 kB · 3 downloads
Now I see your dilemma. You are correct. Royal Maroon is almost identical. Too much Maroon in the garage if you keep the car the original color, lol. I also get the problem with the stripes and hood patch. Stripes would not look good. Bright Lime is my favorite color too (better than Grabber Lime" IMHO). Carry on with the color change!

Hello and welcome from Germany and have fun with the project

Welcome from Alberta, Canada. Always great to see another 71 vert saved. Which ever way you elect, maroon or bright lime, they will look great with the white. Please keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back