Holley choke problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alarmrick

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
351C-4V
I have a Holley Street Avenger Carb. The choke works fine when the car is cold. It comes on and goes off as it should. The problem is if I shut off the car when the engine is warmed up and then start it up a few minutes later the choke is back on, with fast idle. It won't let me kick it down for about 30 seconds or so. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

Depending on the temperature outside, that is normal.

My Avenger does the same thing. Drive the car for 2 miles

in 40 degree weather, park it for 10 minutes, then restart, it

always goes to a faster idle.

mike

An electric choke is a pretty rudimentary device. It may never work the way you think it should. But, try rotating the choke cap clockwise (loosen 3 small screws) a small amount until it still starts when cold but comes of quickly when warm. There is also a fast idle speed adjustment screw near the choke if the idle speed with the choke on is not what you want it to be.

Chuck

An electric choke is a pretty rudimentary device. It may never work the way you think it should. But, try rotating the choke cap clockwise (loosen 3 small screws) a small amount until it still starts when cold but comes of quickly when warm. There is also a fast idle speed adjustment screw near the choke if the idle speed with the choke on is not what you want it to be.

Chuck
Thanks for the reply. I Didn't want to mess with the choke cap because it does take a few minutes for the car to warm up and I did'nt want the choke to come off too early when the car was starting cold. I guess I will try for some happy medium spot.

Back