hood blackout template

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jpaz, to add to my hood black-out, my painter only used the template as a guide to mark the position. He did not use it to paint with. He thought there might be paint bleed under the edges and preferred to use the 3m plastic tape instead. My problem was I (and he), forgot the front molding was not on the hood when he measured back the 2", which is close enough imo. None of these hoods were anywhere near perfect and to me, as long as it's not visually 'off' know one will ever know it's not perfect.

In fact with mine definitely being 'off' by 1" at the front, I have never had anyone, even so-called judges, pick up on that.

If I were to do my hood again, here's what I'd do. Side measurements would be 5 to 5.5"as the  6" looks a bit too much as the black only just covers the curve of the hood bulge if you get my meaning. A bit more onto the flat looks better and more like David's. In other words, follow the lines of the hood. Perfection only leads to disappointment...……. take that from a perfectionist.... ME!

Geoff.
Nothing wrong for striving for perfection... Otherwise some may be disappointed. If a professional painter knows how to use the stencil, it works as intended, that what most of us who purchase the product hope to achieve. If you are satisfied using as you stated, great...

jpaz, to add to my hood black-out, my painter only used the template as a guide to mark the position. He did not use it to paint with. He thought there might be paint bleed under the edges and preferred to use the 3m plastic tape instead. My problem was I (and he), forgot the front molding was not on the hood when he measured back the 2", which is close enough imo. None of these hoods were anywhere near perfect and to me, as long as it's not visually 'off' know one will ever know it's not perfect.

In fact with mine definitely being 'off' by 1" at the front, I have never had anyone, even so-called judges, pick up on that.

If I were to do my hood again, here's what I'd do. Side measurements would be 5 to 5.5"as the  6" looks a bit too much as the black only just covers the curve of the hood bulge if you get my meaning. A bit more onto the flat looks better and more like David's. In other words, follow the lines of the hood. Perfection only leads to disappointment...……. take that from a perfectionist.... ME!

Geoff.
Nothing wrong with striving for perfection if one so chooses... otherwise, some would not be satisfied with the end result. If you are happy with 2”, great. The template is designed to be used for painting and works well if a painter knows what they are doing, ie. no bleed through...

Geoff.
Nothing wrong with striving for perfection if one so chooses... otherwise, some would not be satisfied with the end result. If you are happy with 2”, great. The template is designed to be used for painting and works well if a painter knows what they are doing, ie. no bleed through...
   Enough said, don't take my comments personally, they were not directed at you or anybody else for that matter. You have done incredible work on your car and you're entitled to your opinions on what is acceptable and what is not to you.

The fact remains, none of these black-outs were perfectly placed, so really who's to say what is actually right or wrong as long as it doesn't smack you in the face so to speak.

I bought the template form Graphic Express. I thought it looked pretty close.  My brother didn't use it because of the chance of bleed threw on the edge. He just taped it free hand.  We decided to narrow it up just a bit.  Just think it looks better narrowed up. Not 100% correct but better than most out there. As we all have seen so many are just wrong.

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

I bought the template form Graphic Express. I thought it looked pretty close.  My brother didn't use it because of the chance of bleed threw on the edge. He just taped it free hand.  We decided to narrow it up just a bit.  Just think it looks better narrowed up. Not 100% correct but better than most out there. As we all have seen so many are just wrong.
Thanks for the info and pics Mike. Your hood turned out really nice! I’m going to share this with my painter. I think he likes to hand tape his stuff too. Thanks again!

Talking about the bleed over of paint under the tape. Back years ago we use to spray clear on first so that any bleed would be the clear that sealed the edge. The color was then sprayed. I do not know if that is possible with the paints of today no experience with them.

Hard to believe how cheap the "Tutone Hood Paint" cost as an option. Included the hood locks also and was only $18.00. I cannot believe more cars did not get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If not too late, another tip I was given some time back and had forgotten, is to paint the hood sort of upside down, or on an angle. This stops dust settling on it while drying. And don't forget the 3-4" strip along the underside, windshield edge.

Post it up when it's done to YOUR liking. I'm sure it will be good.

Geoff.

If not too late, another tip I was given some time back and had forgotten, is to paint the hood sort of upside down, or on an angle. This stops dust settling on it while drying. And don't forget the 3-4" strip along the underside, windshield edge.

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff, good tip makes sense. But I’m leaving the paint application to my painter, I’m sure he has his own technique. He was just misinformed about the actual placement of the blackout from that stupid MM article. Plus they just don’t do as many of the 71-73’s as the earlier years. I did send him some pictures of the underside of an original yellow hood, one of David’s I think, with the black in the back. I’m sure he will get it right and I’m making sure he does.

I’m not sure how far from paint they are, but it should be pretty soon. I’m really looking forward to getting it done and will for sure post up everything. I’m getting twist locks too! Can’t wait! Alright I’ll calm down, not! Lol

Oh ya, on a side note I’m making a version of the bracket you made for the center gauges. Thanks for that too.

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff, good tip makes sense. But I’m leaving the paint application to my painter, I’m sure he has his own technique. He was just misinformed about the actual placement of the blackout from that stupid MM article. Plus they just don’t do as many of the 71-73’s as the earlier years. I did send him some pictures of the underside of an original yellow hood, one of David’s I think, with the black in the back. I’m sure he will get it right and I’m making sure he does.

I’m not sure how far from paint they are, but it should be pretty soon. I’m really looking forward to getting it done and will for sure post up everything. I’m getting twist locks too! Can’t wait! Alright I’ll calm down, not! Lol

Oh ya, on a side note I’m making a version of the bracket you made for the center gauges. Thanks for that too.
 Ok sounds good. If your painter has a good booth, there should be zero problem with dust. Mine got a few specs on it and it is noticeable. Don't forget, some people paint their cars in their garages!! Calm down, it'll all be good and hopefully you'll be at Dearborn in August with it.

As for the bracket, let me know if there is any details I can help with. If I were to do that again, I think I'd sacrifice the center panel and mount the gauges through instead of behind, but without checking I can't say for sure.

Send me a pm if you want.

Geoff.

Back