Hood Trim Piece

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mac 1
On my 73 I was missing several of the acorn nuts that hold down the thin hood trim piece. Got them and the washers from OMS. However, I am also missing two of the little studs that the acorn nuts would normally fit over. Probably snapped off sometime in the life of the car. Is there any creative fix for this other than buying a new trim piece and having it painted? Mine is in great shape otherwise. The two missing are right where they probably had the most stress - either side of the center of the hood where people might grab and lift from.

Thanks,

Jeff

I have the same problem. I figured I would just glue it in the missing one but I only have one missing.
I was thinking about finding a screw and gluing up there and then putting the acorn nut over it. Not sure if this will hold so I was wondering if anyone tried something specific that will work - now for both of us!

I was going to suggest metal epoxy to hold a stud on. I dont think you can weld that cast piece.

Carefully pull the trim off, put the screw(s) through the hole(s) from the top of the hood and install the acorn nuts. Reinstall the trim piece with some 3M body trim tape over the top of the screws, and put the trim back on.

I had one stud snap off and did the same thing - worked like a champ.

I was going to suggest metal epoxy to hold a stud on. I dont think you can weld that cast piece.
Especially since I cant weld :)

But yup. I'm looking for an appropriate stud (that came out wrong)

to epoxy up there. I think it would need a thread so the acorn cap can grab onto something.

Carefully pull the trim off, put the screw(s) through the hole(s) from the top of the hood and install the acorn nuts. Reinstall the trim piece with some 3M body trim tape over the top of the screws, and put the trim back on.

That's sounding good. So I get a flat head screw with a wide enough head to not slip through the hole in the trim part?

Sounds better than epoxy so far. Hopefully, I can get the old part off.

Any chance you know what type of screw you used?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to use clear epoxy on one. Lasted three years until someone fingered it opening the hood and broke the paint the epoxy replied on. Put Epoxy on again.worked it into the hole. Been on now for ten years. Can't tell one from another. Used two part, clear, 5 minute stuff.

I used stainless machine screws on our '55 Willys wagon stainless trim more than 20 years ago and soldered them on with silver solder. Soldering doesn't get the temperature high enough to discolor unpainted trim.

That's sounding good. So I get a flat head screw with a wide enough head to not slip through the hole in the trim part?

I just had a small self-tapping sheet metal screw (I've used them for everything from holding pieces together while welding, to replacing missing fasteners). The acorn nut will hide the tapping portion just fine.

008236772265lg.jpg

I just had a small self-tapping sheet metal screw (I've used them for everything from holding pieces together while welding, to replacing missing fasteners). The acorn nut will hide the tapping portion just fine.

008236772265lg.jpg
Thats perfect

Sweet! The little bit of 3M Body Trim tape will also help keep the edges of the trim secured, so it won't flap, bounce, or otherwise since it's double-sided.

Just gotta remember that you won't have to remove the broken studs if you ever have to pull the trim piece. ;) :D

Latest posts

Back