How bad is this body damage?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afeng79

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Hardtop
Bought this coupe with this rear damage. My questions are 1. Am I screwed? 2. If not, is it fixable 3. Any way to fix this myself? (No body work experience) and 4. Is there supposed to be some indentation along the bottom like that? Any body work guys or those with experience would be helpful. As you can see it is pushed in on the left side.

2a5kldj.jpg

302yutc.jpg

mro74.jpg

image.jpg

I see a replacement taillight panel in your future, mine wasn't overly hard to swap out but not really a beginner job either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly what I wanted to hear. Does that require cutting into the body and welding on the new panel? Sounds like I'd need to seek help from a couple buddies lol.

Hi

Repaired lots of cars with much worse damage than that, it's the inside of the panel we need to see, but I'm guessing a little bit of dolly work and a new taillight panel and you'll be sweet!

Dont Sweat it! :)

If you can cut and weld it is very doable on your own, the back of my car was in real bad shape when I bought it, now only kurt could tell it has been repaired;)

Some good news and bad news here. I don't know how to weld but I can cut lol. Luckily I know a few guys that weld and loved to be paid in beer and returned favors. It all works out somehow. I believe several websites sell tail light panels rather than rummaging through junk yards

Don't cut. Get some 3/8" and 1/2" Blair Rotabroach cutters and use them to cut out the spotwelds. Panel will come out easy; make sure you don't damage the trunk latch mount in the process.

Get the replacement panel, slide it in for a test fit and clamp it.

Use a level and jacks (nothing big, just enough to level out the car - better if you can find a level surface to start with) to get the car level. I found the package tray edge in the trunk to be an excellent location to check from. Once level, check the level of the taillight panel against it. This is provided the corners do not guide the panel for you. Check side-to-side alignment from the edges and at the keyhole and gas tank filler. Once you have it tested, install your end caps and check that the panel isn't too high (which will push the bottoms out).

Close the trunk and do a test-fit. Helps to stand about 30 feet from the back end of the car too - just because it seemed to measure correct (package tray could very well be off) doesn't mean it's sitting right either. Get the panel to where it looks squared off with the back end.

Once you like the location, screw it in with four or 5 sheet-metal screws to temporarily tack it in place once you're happy with the location.

After that, simply MIG weld it in place with a 0.25 wire (not flux core) and a 75% Argon - 25% CO2 gas mix. Find a buddy or get a ~$500 Hobart, Lincoln, or Miller MIG welder and have at it.

I didn't have much trouble as a first-timer, though my trunk corners were so rough that the first panel did not go in correct. Then again, I wasn't as careful with fit the first time. Follow the advice above, and you should be fine. I did, and it came out perfect this time:

x6iovq.jpg

Trust me: You'll need that welder again, so don't fret the cost.

FYI, it looks as if the bend on your panel missed the rear crossmember. Good thing.

-Kurt

You need to ROUGH PULL the panel back into shape BEFORE YOU CUT ANYTHING OFF ! Look at the trunk floor too.. it may have creased..You could rough pull with a come along tied off to a tree..Your going to need some sort of clamp or bracket welded to the panel to attach one end of the come along..Start at the area of least damage & work your way in to the worst damage.

I agree with pulling it out to start with, you can use a slide hammer and studs or screws. It'll take 10 to 15 (or more) pull points. Just a little at each point to tease it out. After you get it pulled out you may find that you don't need a new panel, just hammer and dolly, and some shrinking. I used to know a body man that did a lot of work on old cars and have seen him repair worse than that. If the trunk floor is creased, a gentle pull and hammer and dolly work should ease it back out.

It will take a lot of time to do it correctly, you don't want to cause more damage or stretch the sheet metal any worse than it is. It cannot be pulled all the way out from just one point. You'll have to go back and forth several times to ease and tease it out.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna attempt to maybe pull at it then decide if I need that replacement panel and go through the steps cuda pointed out. Never thought about that process Qcode. I think I know someone that has a clamp to put on. And I believe the trunk pan is fine with no creases which should make work much easier. I wanted to know what I had and the process to fix it. Y'all have given me some good ideas that's for sure.

You need to ROUGH PULL the panel back into shape BEFORE YOU CUT ANYTHING OFF ! Look at the trunk floor too.. it may have creased..You could rough pull with a come along tied off to a tree..Your going to need some sort of clamp or bracket welded to the panel to attach one end of the come along..Start at the area of least damage & work your way in to the worst damage.
+1 you want to get everything as close as possible before cutting so you don't lose you dimensions when you cut out the bad.

I bet I have seen a 100 restoration on this site that have replaced that panel so it not that hard of a job with the right tools

Pull your tank off the car so you can dolled the trunk area back into shape if it pushed in your trunk

After you pulled it and before you cut the spot welds out tack weld a angle between the right and left trunk drip troughs so that you won't loose the spacing or alignment for your trunk

I also took kitty corner measurements of the trunk opening from corner to corner so that you can ensure that you don't rack right or left

When you have fit your panel and are happy with it, weld up the holes you left from the spot weld cutter

Don't use flux core welding wire as it is garbage, use hard wire with the proper shielding gas as it will weld 1000x better

Get a electric 1/2 belt grinder and clean up your welds and your into body work

If you feel you will never need to change your trunk floor, that's good, but if you're not sure, now is the one and only chance to do it with the taillight panel.

The trunk skin will slip straight it. Do it properly, do it once. Good luck....

If it was a 67/68, you might say it looks stock. :)

Sorry, it doesn't help you but I could not help it. :)

Shoot I'll take a better look into the trunk situation but it looked pretty clean in there. I don't want to replace that trunk panel years later either. And if i do it, I'll make a thread for noobs like myself trying to start their body experience on a mustang they really want to keep :)

luxstang, LOL I wouldn't be surprised if most people didnt know the panel was supposed to be straight or not. Our body styles aren't common.

Actually, replacing the tail light panel is pretty straight forward, making it a great first time panel repair project. It also will open up the trunk area for easy access. You can use the moment to give the trunk area a good detailing while your at it.

Latest posts

Back