How rare is this considered

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Grande is the coupe body, that's why the glass is different.

Typically, most folks want the Mach 1, first, then a plain sportsroof, then convertible, then grande or coupe. Kind of a toss up on the last 2 since the body is the same, the grande just had more "dress" on it. typically the deluxe interior and a vinyl roof, chrome wheel well trim and several other pieces of trim, typically called an "appearance" package.

A Marti report is the key to actual production numbers and "rarity" of a particular build, as noted above about red Mach 1's with power windows.

I have a yellow Mach 1, 351 Cobra Jet, C6 loaded out with power windows.

I haven't seen another like it.

I also have a '73 Mach 1 with the 351 cleveland 2 barrel carb, c6 and it's pretty bare otherwise, but the Vin indicates it is a Mach 1.

Things were varied during the production of these cars, that's for sure.

i think low production numbers is not allways a good thing if its not popular in the first place....fast backs allways got more attention than grands...and i think it plays into the whole..grande was a lux car version..and the sportsroof was the renagade looking car...what kids remmeber the most..all that flash and fins and stripes...grande were usualy plain a bit....plus now days production numbers are broken down..out of the sportsroof mach 1's...only 6,568 come with the 351 4v and c6 trans...and out of the red ones..only 4 had powerwindows..lol....i think alot more orders driven the production of the sportsroof over the grande....i would run the numbers..and if it turns out too be under 300 made like it i would restore it possibly...but if high numbers..i would do what ever you felt happy with.

you know we almost got a cheap grande for parts..was going to take the glass and everything..till we started to notice..the glass in a grande wont work in a sportsroof..lol..weird..we measured itfront glass and side windows...and it was a inch taller lol...and if you notice the sports roof has sharp corners on the top of the glass..were the grande has rounded corners...just thought it was odd that they made the grande roof taller..maybe for the lux part..lol

As I have gotten "older", the Grande (and other Coupes) have become much more desirable to me in our cars.

The reason comes down to visibility - - one can actually SEE out of the back window. I have both a '73 Grande and a '73 Mach I, both with big blocks and I envision using the Grande more.

I think there may be something to the idea that they will become more desirable as time marches on:).

BT

Who's worried about seeing out the back window anyway?? :D:D

If you have the fold down back seat, you can put it down and lie down for a nap in back, you just need plenty of sunscreen!

The reason comes down to visibility - - one can actually SEE out of the back window.

BT

Ok i own a 71 mustang grande now ive seen the numbers for production and my car seems to be a lot lower number produced. How rare do people consider a grande? the only car with lower production numbers is a boss 351 and a convertible. Im interested to hear everyones thoughts on this and heres why. If its more rare than a mach 1 (a crap load less produced) than i might restore it all original since i have the numbers matching stuff for it BUT if its not that rare than ill just go my own way (keep in mind i have many cars so a mod car how i like it can be done with something else)

thanks for any thoughts
Ok, I have a '71 Grande. Bought the car because I needed some wheels, then found out what I had. We are 2/3'rds of the way through a restoration project. Not a rotisserie/Concours job, just fixing up the interior then some body work and paint. Besides installing a new clutch (CenterForce II), the drive train is in remarkably good shape. The engine is an M-code with a wide ratio toploader. According to Marti, they only made 100 of these. You could call that rare, but what is it worth? I would never sell this car so it is a moot point. It is a cool looking car that is fun to drive. Had to get a set of license plate frames because people would say "that is a cool looking car; what is it?".

The frames read "1971 Mustang".

mike

Make it your own. I would keep the 'grande' look but do the mods you want.

I might argue the fastback then sports roof then convertible but I am biased. And if you want visability you can't beat having the top down...

Not to disagree with everyone but if you want a black sheep try a 77 mustang II ghia. I am trying to restore my daughters and it is like pulling eye teeth to find parts for it. Seem like most of them were crushed.

Jim

Coupes are the least desired and consequently most affordable Mustangs. They made millions of Mustang II's but you rarely see anymore because they were expendable. Same goes for 71-73 coupes. Of course Ford sold a lot less than in 65-70 so you do not see very many. This is not necessarily a good thing when it comes to fining parts. The scarcity does not help as far as value goes and given the choice most people are going to lean towards wanting a fastback or convertible. However, dare to be different and restore a Grande as you will have something different than everyone else.

Back