How to remove wiper switch?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351, FMX, A/C (well, parts of it anyways!)
1971 Mach 1, 351, FMX
1965 Convertible, 289, 4-speed
Hi, I've got everything out of and off of my dash on my 73. I'm hoping to repaint it this weekend but I'm stuck on trying to figure out how to remove the wiper switch and knob from the dash. I've looked in my shop manual and searched the forums but I've come up empty and my wiper switch is still sitting there, laughing at me.

How do I get this thing off? Is there a small set screw on the knob that bites down on the shaft?

Scott

73 vert

It has a bezel nut. If you don't have a special tool you can use a pair of needle nose pliers. Look for the knob has a small notch take a small scewdriver and push on the tab the knob will slip of the shaft easely and then you will see a nut take 2 small scewdriver or needle nose pliers spread open and loosen counter-clockwise and the switch will come off the dash.

A little more detail on getting knob off:

On the back edge of the switch next to the shaft,you will find a slot or notch in the knob. take a small screwdriver and pull and hold forward toward you while puliing off the knob

Last edited by a moderator:
It has a bezel nut. If you don't have a special tool you can use a pair of needle nose pliers. Look for the knob has a small notch take a small scewdriver and push on the tab the knob will slip of the shaft easely and then you will see a nut take 2 small scewdriver or needle nose pliers spread open and loosen counter-clockwise and the switch will come off the dash
Ah, the trick I missed was the small notch and using a screwdriver to depress the tab! Thanks a million. Regarding that tool, over the years I've used needle nose pliers and screwdrivers. Does someone actually make a tool to remove it?

Scott

I was at a PickNPull on Monday, pulling the dash on a 1974 F100. Everything was out except the damn wiper knob and the headlight knob. I know that the headlight switch requires a button to be pushed, but one needed the dash out to get at it. I took a HD wire cutters to both shafts and ripped them out. The wiper knob finally fell off of the shaft while I was pulling/twisting the shaft.

After all of that work, the connector I was after was the wrong design. *Sigh* Fortunately, a 70 F100 had the right connector.

Okay, I put the gloves on and entered the ring last night. Me versus the wiper switch. Round 1, get a small screwdriver with both standard and phillips tips. Crouch down under the wheel and try to depress the tab that will deliver the knockout punch and free the knob from the shaft. Bell rings, Round 1 goes to the switch.

Round 2, get different screwdriver tips and flashlight and tell myself there's no way I'm going to lose this time. Engage the fight and we're trading blows. I'm getting cramped up down there (I'm 6'4" about 220lbs) and my strength is fading. Extricate myself from the floor. Bell rings, Round 2 goes to the switch.

Okay, Round 3 starts tonight. Can anyone give any other suggestions on how to release that knob from the shaft before it kicks my butt one more time?

:huh:

Scott

Nothing like dragging up an old thread. Round 2 of my wiper switch is over. Wiper switch is still winning. What I'm really trying is get the whole dash off. My problem... The tab on my speedo cable is broken off. The tabs on the wiring harness for the speedo are broken off. So leave it in place. Remove the dash and work on it straight on. The only thing holding my dash frame in place is the speedo cable, the wiring harness, and the wiper switch. I've been all up in that switch and I can not find a tab to press at all. I'm guessing with my speedo tabs being broken, someone has been great enough to break the tab on the wiper switch.

Any suggestions on getting the rest of this out? I can feel the harness to the switch but that it. I can get an angle to pull it off. Then I'm still left with how to get the harness and cable off the back of the speedo. sigh

That should read that I cannot get the angle to disconnect the wire from the wiper switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
The white ring on the speedo cable needs to be pushed to one side to disengage it

The wiring harness has two tabs holding it in, squeeze the tabs and pull it off.

If the tabs are broken it should pull right off

The wiring for the wiper is just a tight press on fit - no tabs or tricks, just work it off side to side

Thanks for the advice on the speedo ring. I was looking for an actual tab to press. I'll try just pressing it to the side next. I don't like to try and force things but I'll see if I can pull the harness off since the tabs are broken. I can feel the switch harness. I just couldn't get in there and pull it off the switch today. Perhaps during round 3. I'll see how I do with the speed hook ups too during that process.

If you are going to paint a dash you should just take the whole thing out so you can do everything on the bench. You can take the whole dash out in probably and hour with a helper. You can then get to the wiring harness and do what ever you need to with ease. This is roughly the process.

Of course unhook the battery and remove your console.

The speedometer cable must be unhooked.

1: Remove the dash pad.

2: Take the 4 nuts off the steering column and drop it down. Unplug the harness from the column. If you are going to paint the dash good time to get the column also. Just go ahead and take the screws out of the plate on the firewall and unhook the rag joint lock rod to transmission and you can get the whole thing out of your way.

3: Take the glove box out.

4: There is a wire form that braces the dash to the cowl. Remove the bolt from the lower edge of the dash.

5: Take the two end plates off the ends of the dash.

6: Remove the A post covers.

7: Take the single hex bolt on either side of the dash up next to the windshield.

8: There is one screw directly over where the steering column goes remove it.

9: Take the bolt loose in the center of the fuse box and separate the connection.

10: There are two hex head bolts on each end of the dash that go through a bracket on the A post remove them.

11: If you have air unhook the control cable from the heater box.

12: Unhook the big rubber plug on the heater / air cond. control.

13: You will need the shifter to be as far back as possible.

14: Unplug all the connections down at the bottom of the A post kick pad area. They all have different connectors so you pretty much cannot get back incorrect.

15: As you pull the dash back you will need to pull one connection apart for the heat / air near the center then the entire dash can come out.

You can remove the instrument cluster and all the controls on the dash. The center gauges can come out. You can remove all the air vents and wash them up. After you get everything off the dash then you can get it ready to paint and them put everything back while on the bench.

Much easier than trying to do it in the car. Remember when they built these things they put a dash in less than 2 minutes, lol.

I just posted a bunch of pictures the other day of the firewall, heater/air cond. box and the dash. If your car still has the original insulation on the cowl it is falling apart. Ground up stuff with a thin black plastic backing. I used some of the China fake Dyna-mat on the cowl going back. Good time to do the heater core and rebuild the heater air box. In the pictures I posted it shows the barrier I add to keep the mice out of the heater box and ducts.

Even being so careful and checking every wire and doing the wrap over I have some issues that I will be working on later this week. Got behind around the house and car has to wait.

On the knob on the wiper control I have a hook shaped tool that I go behind the knob and pull on the tab and the knob comes right off. I can do it sitting in the seat.

You can make you a tool for the dash nuts by taking a tube and cutting the two sides off and just leave two tabs to fit into the nuts. Sometimes the headlight shafts are a bear to get out even with the button on the switch pushed.

I wish I had someone to shoot video for me I could save you lots of time if you could see it done once.

When you go back in everything is mounted in the dash, instruments, center gauges, radio, all wiring and it will just sit right back in place. Plug in the wires and put in the 8 bolts and put the column back and you are done.

Over simplified I am sure but once you do it you will never lay on your back and try to fix anything again.

David

CAM_0072.JPG

CAM_0126.JPG

Back