how wide of a wheel/tire will fit?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73rustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 coupe 429, c6, and lots of "weight reduction" via rust lol
just as a curiosity (im far far from this right now) how wide of a tire can you mount up front on a 15x8 mag wheel, with and without the 2 inch drop springs? I know the previous owner only had 215s (on 15x7s) on the front but stuffed 295s on the back :)dodgy: also on a 7 inch rim, seemed sketchy to me.)

I was just wondering what yall have done im planning on doing the 2 inch drop to the front and 5 leaf mideye springs on the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a 235 up front no problem on a 7 inch rim

With the 2 inch drop, I'm not sure about the 8 inch rim, but if the rim clears, 245's would fit.

If you have manual steering, wide front tires make for greatly increased steering effort

A 245 is about as large as should go on a 7-inch rim. You can put a 265 on a 8-inch rim, but that may not fit in the front. 245s should fit on the front. A 295 should have a 9-inch rim.

A 245 is about as large as should go on a 7-inch rim. You can put a 265 on a 8-inch rim, but that may not fit in the front. 245s should fit on the front. A 295 should have a 9-inch rim.
itll have 15x8s all around or so the plan goes I may put a 15x10 on the back tho to properly fit a 295 (I knew a 7 inch wide wheel was bad I just thought an 8 would work but ok XD but ts good to know a 245 should go right now its just a 215 up front and it looks weird the way I got it, the rear tire looks twice the size of the front :p

You can get a 235 up front no problem on a 7 inch rim

With the 2 inch drop, I'm not sure about the 8 inch rim, but if the rim clears, 245's would fit.

If you have manual steering, wide front tires make for greatly increased steering effort
thanks for the reply and its a power steering car I might not go with the drop but ill definitely need stiffer springs the all iron 429 is really making the worn out front suspension sag lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 17x8 on the front of my '73 with 245-45-17's and in the rear I have a 17x9 with 275-40-17's. I have been told that a 315 will fit the rear with the proper back spacing.

Back