Hurst Shifter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hotboss

Reaction score
My Car
1970 Boss 302
Are there any differences in the Hurst shifter used in 70 and the one used in 71..looking at differences in the handle mostly

Thanks

No idea about the 70, but this is a 71. The handle is a "T" , not a ball. The 72-3 had a round shaft, not flat as you see here. I did find that the lower reproduction rubber boot does NOT fit the 71, so there could be other small differences. I'm not sure what you're really after here, so hope this helps.

Geoff.

Edit: should have said 1970 lower rubber boot did not fit the 71.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know about the Ford style of shifters but the Hurst aftermarket Competition Plus was one shifter for 1965 - 1973 I have a NOS in the box. The shift rods are much larger on the Ford models and there are different mounting plates for different sizes of toploaders, big block, small block, that bolt to the transmission.

The 71 did have the flat stick and 72 and 3 was round like stated for sure.

Yeah, we went through this before. Just a word of caution as I found out to my cost. The new aftermarket Hurst Comp Plus being sold is no where near the same as my 71 original. Also, you would need to buy the rod kit from Hurst as the factory Ford ones don't fit or work with the new style shifter. It also has a round stick that cannot be changed (without a lot of work).

The 70-71 Mustang/Cougar, Torino/Montego-Cyclone 4 sp cars had production installed "T" handles with "Hurst" and the shift pattern engraved. In 72 the Mustang, Gran Torino, and sister Mercury cars went to the round lever and black "Pool Ball" shifter knob with a white shift pattern and a Gran Torino part number. This setup was used through 1973. Sadly 73 would mark the end of an era, as it would be the last year for the bullet proof top loader 4 speed to be production installed. The 4 speed option was discontinued for the Torino's in 1974. Some of the early 70 Mustangs used a T handle with a set screw but it was discontinued and replaced with the 71 handle.

Back