I am scared to put another cam in her

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to say it, but stuff happens. If you let a failure scare you into thinking you aren't up to the task, you will be beaten every time. Take a few days weeks or even months and then go fix it using your existing knowledge along with whatever additional knowledge you need to gather from elsewhere. Maybe it was something that failed in spite of you doing things correctly (it happens)
Jeff I really don't want to you to be offended, however I have served ten years in the Army with three very long deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, I have seen failure and guilt like you would not believe. Prior to being retired due to wounds suffered in combat, I was building and engine a week with my dad, who prior to that was building them for 25 years, so we had the knowledge of slapping them together, and this 351 was my first Ford BB.

My wife bought me this car for me while I was in Iraq the 2nd time in 05 for 5000. I am the second owner, the car was all original minus plugs, oil and tires. Besides the not so desirable light silver pewter color, and it was stored in an oversized garage its whole life, I was lucky. The moment I came back, I started to strip this car down to the frame, dipped, sealed, and coated everything to ensure it would not rust, with continued care. Interior is spotless minus original driver seat which has normal butt wear. Soda blasted and then put back together. The only reason I took the motor out was because the H code for that year came out with only 177 factory HP, and that is not acceptable might has well of been a V6.

So the block was Punched .30 with K&B pistons and rods, comp cam, the whole kit, I had no reason for going cheap. The only thing I did not do because again I would leave for the army and be able to come back in 10-18 day stretches a couple times a year, had a non standard military job. So when I got back I made sure everything was there and ready to roll steady. I even had the transmission done twice because I bought the wrong flywheel, O gave me a 351W and I failed to confirm, so that is my fault. Engine was put in 2010, and had no issues at all, now I will stand here and tell everyone that I did not use break in oil, and never have before.

I still have motors on the strip today that I did not use it in, cannot figure it out, I know the new standards in oil, but come on.

I completely understand things happen, and I hear it all the time from my dad, “It is part of hot rodding.” The issue I am having is I have not built a motor in a very long time and I am afraid if I rebuild this again and it fails, I won’t even be able to sell it. I could not sell someone that, karma is a mother. I keep hearing everyone talk about the break in period, which again I cannot count on my hands how many strip, street, and custom motors I built and installed without every doing that.

My point is if it starts to become a boat, A hole in the water you throw money into, then some demons aren’t worth fighting. We did not win every firefight we were in, but we ensured we could fight another one when the time came. I cannot keep sinking money into something without being able to get a return. I know that is not the business, build it, drive it, love it, keep it. Well I am still at step two, and not feel good about jacking it up again. Sometimes you have to be able to walk away.

I know I am so close to completion, and it doesn’t make sense but the car has been taken care of and the documentation could help bring someone, but I cannot keep banging my head against a wall.

I did pull it and strip it all down every new coming again, and thinking about getting a high volume oil pump.

I keep hearing mixed reviews about how long you should run the break in oil. I heard to only run it for the 20 minute break in period which I will need instructions on that if needed again never did it.

I know it sounds like I am quitting and it is

Mesozoic,

I believe you are right. I had to go back and look up the zddp and found this zddp additive article.

http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief2%20-%20ZDDP%20and%20Cam%20Wear%20-%20Just%20Another%20Engine%20Oil%20Myth.pdf

Excerpt: Because ZDP was an inexpensive and effective antioxidant, it was used to place the phosphorus level in the 0.10% range. However,phosphorus is a poison for exhaust catalysts. So, ZDP levels have been reduced over the last 10-15 years. It's now down to a maximum of 0.08% for Starburst oils. This was supported by the introduction of modern ash less

antioxidants that contain no phosphorus.

I would state that one should follow the manufactures break in process and procedures for successful running engine.

mustang7173

I would also like to mention I used 10-30 sny for break in, way wrong I should have been kicked in teeth for that one

rentascout,

I am with Tubo! A roller cam setup would eliminate the need for ZDDP oil additive. Here is a an Crane Cam Retro for non -roller cam Ford Engines.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=31-1000&Category_Code=HRLKits

Hot Rod Magazine: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/113_9604_choosing_the_right_camshaft/

By the way, I dropped the air cleaner stud down my running 351C engine and crunch, took out the first cylinder piston. Man, what a bad day that was!

mustang7173 :D
guys as much as I would like to put one in, I already jacked up putting the normal equipment in, why would I spend more money to burn right through another, now I know it is rare but I have seen it. That is why I was walking through the idea of washing out in the car and re running it. Either way you take a chance of it happening again, but simply washing is way more cost effective and only adds 30% risk. Beats another 1000 for the same thing. Makes sense

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to say it, but stuff happens. If you let a failure scare you into thinking you aren't up to the task, you will be beaten every time. Take a few days weeks or even months and then go fix it using your existing knowledge along with whatever additional knowledge you need to gather from elsewhere. Maybe it was something that failed in spite of you doing things correctly (it happens)
Jeff I really don't want to you to be offended, however I have served ten years in the Army with three very long deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, I have seen failure and guilt like you would not believe. Prior to being retired due to wounds suffered in combat, I was building and engine a week with my dad, who prior to that was building them for 25 years, so we had the knowledge of slapping them together, and this 351 was my first Ford BB.

My wife bought me this car for me while I was in Iraq the 2nd time in 05 for 5000. I am the second owner, the car was all original minus plugs, oil and tires. Besides the not so desirable light silver pewter color, and it was stored in an oversized garage its whole life, I was lucky. The moment I came back, I started to strip this car down to the frame, dipped, sealed, and coated everything to ensure it would not rust, with continued care. Interior is spotless minus original driver seat which has normal butt wear. Soda blasted and then put back together. The only reason I took the motor out was because the H code for that year came out with only 177 factory HP, and that is not acceptable might has well of been a V6.

So the block was Punched .30 with K&B pistons and rods, comp cam, the whole kit, I had no reason for going cheap. The only thing I did not do because again I would leave for the army and be able to come back in 10-18 day stretches a couple times a year, had a non standard military job. So when I got back I made sure everything was there and ready to roll steady. I even had the transmission done twice because I bought the wrong flywheel, O gave me a 351W and I failed to confirm, so that is my fault. Engine was put in 2010, and had no issues at all, now I will stand here and tell everyone that I did not use break in oil, and never have before.

I still have motors on the strip today that I did not use it in, cannot figure it out, I know the new standards in oil, but come on.

I completely understand things happen, and I hear it all the time from my dad, “It is part of hot rodding.” The issue I am having is I have not built a motor in a very long time and I am afraid if I rebuild this again and it fails, I won’t even be able to sell it. I could not sell someone that, karma is a mother. I keep hearing everyone talk about the break in period, which again I cannot count on my hands how many strip, street, and custom motors I built and installed without every doing that.

My point is if it starts to become a boat, A hole in the water you throw money into, then some demons aren’t worth fighting. We did not win every firefight we were in, but we ensured we could fight another one when the time came. I cannot keep sinking money into something without being able to get a return. I know that is not the business, build it, drive it, love it, keep it. Well I am still at step two, and not feel good about jacking it up again. Sometimes you have to be able to walk away.

I know I am so close to completion, and it doesn’t make sense but the car has been taken care of and the documentation could help bring someone, but I cannot keep banging my head against a wall.

I did pull it and strip it all down every new coming again, and thinking about getting a high volume oil pump.

I keep hearing mixed reviews about how long you should run the break in oil. I heard to only run it for the 20 minute break in period which I will need instructions on that if needed again never did it.

I know it sounds like I am quitting and it is

Mesozoic,

I believe you are right. I had to go back and look up the zddp and found this zddp additive article.

http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief2%20-%20ZDDP%20and%20Cam%20Wear%20-%20Just%20Another%20Engine%20Oil%20Myth.pdf

Excerpt: Because ZDP was an inexpensive and effective antioxidant, it was used to place the phosphorus level in the 0.10% range. However,phosphorus is a poison for exhaust catalysts. So, ZDP levels have been reduced over the last 10-15 years. It's now down to a maximum of 0.08% for Starburst oils. This was supported by the introduction of modern ash less

antioxidants that contain no phosphorus.

I would state that one should follow the manufactures break in process and procedures for successful running engine.

mustang7173

I would also like to mention I used 10-30 sny for break in, way wrong I should have been kicked in teeth for that one

rentascout,

I am with Tubo! A roller cam setup would eliminate the need for ZDDP oil additive. Here is a an Crane Cam Retro for non -roller cam Ford Engines.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=31-1000&Category_Code=HRLKits

Hot Rod Magazine: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/113_9604_choosing_the_right_camshaft/

By the way, I dropped the air cleaner stud down my running 351C engine and crunch, took out the first cylinder piston. Man, what a bad day that was!

mustang7173 :D
guys as much as I would like to put one in, I already jacked up putting the normal equipment in, why would I spend more money to burn right through another, now I know it is rare but I have seen it. That is why I was walking through the idea of washing out in the car and re running it. Either way you take a chance of it happening again, but simply washing is way more cost effective and only adds 30% risk. Beats another 1000 for the same thing. Makes sense
I'm really sorry to hear that the car has caused so much despair and anguish, but as you know with many other things in life, Mustangs can do this.

I have blown up many engines in Mustangs, but I've always walked away and returned later with renewed enthusiasm. As an engineer, I think it is part and parcel of the process to destroy, rebuild, and improve. I won't go into the many stories I have about failures, but I'll just mention that the 1st engine I ever built received synthetic motor oil for break-in and never broke in! THAT was a bad mistake.

I always use Shell Rotella T 15W-40 non-synthetic diesel engine oil for break-in as well as the 1st 3000-5000 miles in my engines. I use the Torco ZDDP oil additive, even with a roller cam installed. After the 2nd or 3rd oil change, I don't use any additional ZDDP. I have built several engines that are still in service with many thousands of miles on them and they all run very well and do not burn any oil.

Ultimately, it is your decision to bail or persevere and either way is fine. We're just here to help and listen.

I hear you brother and I have no doubt that I failed that last motor, I am not blaming it on anything else, but me. Ill find out tomorrow to see the damage and hopefully we can end this bad road.

Back