• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

I feel a little needy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Second post of small things I need to get closer to a complete Phase 1 on my Mustang. Rebuilding my rear brakes I noticed I was missing a very small part that I could not locate at a auto parts store. I know I could buy them from CJ, but I was hoping to get one from someone who has many spares. It’s this:

22D71AA4-B86A-4685-9A56-C18782D9EA7B.jpeg
I only need one. Thanks, Steve.

Poured out my bag of extra brake parts, but don't see those. Tell me where they go.

Attachments

• IMG_5716.jpg
    IMG_5716.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 11
It goes between the brake shoe and the parking brake link; it supports that oval spring that fits there. I believe Ford didn’t start putting those spring seats in until the 1971 car. 1967/68 Mustangs looks very similar, but are missing that metal spring backer.

7EF17CEB-9A3C-4A25-8615-90D39746FCA8.jpeg

Second post of small things I need to get closer to a complete Phase 1 on my Mustang. Rebuilding my rear brakes I noticed I was missing a very small part that I could not locate at a auto parts store. I know I could buy them from CJ, but I was hoping to get one from someone who has many spares. It’s this:

View attachment 64573
I only need one. Thanks, Steve.
You want to clip that holds the spring for the rear brake equalizer bar for your emergency brake assembly. It can almost work without it. You want it as a spacer to make the spring tighter. While you are at it, you may want to replace the clip that holds the e brake assy on. I used a E clip. I didn't trust re-using the original

Yea, I got a rear brake kit that came with every piece you could ever imagine to change except that part. I mean every spring, clip, cable, etc. Weird. I know I can run without it, but I don’t want to.

Did you try Kentucky Mustang? I've had better luck getting stuff through them than CJ. And believe it or not my brother, who's restoring a 67 has found so many matching parts at West Coast Classic Cougar that it's really paid off a number of times.

I just learned something, I had no idea that part existed. When I disassembled my rear brakes that part was not there (I took photos and it is not on there), and I assembled everything exactly the way it was. I also bought the brake kit with all the springs and everything else and that piece was not there either. Soooo, I guess that at some point I will need to go back, find a set of those and put them in...

When I redid the rear brakes on my 71 Mach, there wasn't any of those little spring plate thingy's. This was discussed in my thread and I came to the conclusion they were not fitted to the 71's. It is still possible that on a previous rebuild, they were not refitted or were lost.
Anyway, mine works fine without them. Also, the oval springs are NOT available as far as I could find either. One would think they were a replaceable part to be included in the kits.

EDIT: In the 71 shop manual, they do not show the little plate thingy, only the "link spring" as it's called. So, no, they were not fitted to the 71's and probably not 72' either by Chuck's account.

Attachments

• IMG_1453.JPG
    IMG_1453.JPG
    910.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
When I redid the rear brakes on my 71 Mach, there wasn't any of those little spring plate thingy's. This was discussed in my thread and I came to the conclusion they were not fitted to the 71's. It is still possible that on a previous rebuild, they were not refitted or were lost.
Anyway, mine works fine without them. Also, the oval springs are NOT available as far as I could find either. One would think they were a replaceable part to be included in the kits.

EDIT: In the 71 shop manual, they do not show the little plate thingy, only the "link spring" as it's called. So, no, they were not fitted to the 71's and probably not 72' either by Chuck's account.
Excellent, I do not need new parts and I do not need to rip the rear brake apart again :cool:

Just FYI: when I searched my Fords Part manual, 1965 to 1972, the brake illustrations for almost every model showed that part, 2A787, including Full size ford, Thunderbird, Torino, Fairlane, Falcon, Mustang, Maverick, and 70/72 Pinto. But not Bronco. So, most folks must have removed them when they did the breaks; they are a bit difficult to install. I wonder how many points off on a concourse vehicle score do these account for?

BTW, I still need to find this .57 cent part. Yes, I’ve found many suppliers to send me one, but I still can’t stomach the >$10 for shipping and handling almost everyone wants OR if I want almost zero S&H, they want $10 for one. Since I’ve been doing break jobs since 1970, I’ve seen these in my junk draws before. Not anymore, but they were easy to find. The part number is C4uz-2a787-b, in case anyone can search their digital database of parts they have.

Just FYI: when I searched my Fords Part manual, 1965 to 1972, the brake illustrations for almost every model showed that part, 2A787, including Full size ford, Thunderbird, Torino, Fairlane, Falcon, Mustang, Maverick, and 70/72 Pinto. But not Bronco. So, most folks must have removed them when they did the breaks; they are a bit difficult to install. I wonder how many points off on a concourse vehicle score do these account for?
Not to be argumentative, but here's a pic from my 1971 Ford Shop Manual (which actually is an original, not a reprint), which only shows the "link spring" and not the plate. The pic unfortunately is not very clear on this scan and unfortunately the manual does not go into any more detail.
As I mentioned before, the link springs are not part of any "kit" I've seen, which is a pity.

Attachments

• Rear Brakes.jpg
    Rear Brakes.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 4
Agree, Ford wasn’t very clear on the application of this part. The official name is Parking Brake Lever Coil Spring Retainer. But when you do the “Where Used” applications, the list is the same as the dated “1973” Parts Manual. So, who knows? I wonder if it was primarily on larger diameter rear drums or wider shoe options? We need a Ford Historian! Now, if someone hates having this part on their car, you can send it to me!

Back