I need a new PS pump.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like an offer I can't refuse Tony. Thanks. I'll send a PM (coversation!) and go from there.
Awesome. I hope it works and if not you can use it for parts. I am happy to see it is going to good hands. I had completely forgotten about it and it is of no use to me since I am using the Saginaw pump setup. One less box in my garage.

Coming to think about it I have gone through 4 steering pump iterations since I got my Mustang 8 years ago. I upgraded the original one at Lee Steering but it leaked because the can was out of round. Bought the O'Reilly one to use the can, and then the upgraded one started leaking a year later. Then I moded to a Tuff Stuff Saginaw pump. This one was faulty from the beginning never assisting at idle. Then finally, I bought a new Saginaw pump from Lee Steering. It was pricey but it worked like a charm. Knock, knock. I hope this one lasts a lot longer. Second time I write this sentence, but you get what you pay for.

I bought a new old stock pump late last year. It was rebuilt with new seals and was in excellent shape and it works great. Bought it on eBay.......wont tell you how much I paid for it but it was pricey. eBay has great deals on hard to find parts but its always a judgement call on whether to chance it. Most vendors or sellers have a return policy so you'll have to verify if they have a return policy. eBay has been a great source of parts for my 72 Mach 1.

I bought a new old stock pump late last year. It was rebuilt with new seals and was in excellent shape and it works great. Bought it on eBay.......wont tell you how much I paid for it but it was pricey. eBay has great deals on hard to find parts but its always a judgement call on whether to chance it. Most vendors or sellers have a return policy so you'll have to verify if they have a return policy. eBay has been a great source of parts for my 72 Mach 1.
Good info, thanks, but it often eventually comes down to shipping cost for a lot of ePay stuff. Many times I see an item for a few bucks, but the shipping is like 5 times higher, especially cross border. eBay is often my last resort for hat reason.

Good info, thanks, but it often eventually comes down to shipping cost for a lot of ePay stuff. Many times I see an item for a few bucks, but the shipping is like 5 times higher, especially cross border. eBay is often my last resort for hat reason.
That is always a good thing to bring up but all of my parts have had either free shipping or reasonable shipping.....but it also boils down to how bad you need the part is to whether the buyer would pay unreasonable shipping. But you're right! Always verify shipping before bidding or buying now. I found the 4 inch long radiator fan blade bolts on eBay.......only on eBay. Nobody, not even WCCC had it.

This is a timely and fitting thread.

This phase of my project started as "a quick head and cam swap" with the engine installed. As we all have experienced....new and compelling info emerges and the project scope creeps...sometimes floods....my head/cam swap turned into a 90% rebuild and then some. I repainted the engine bay last weekend and was scrubbing up the power steering pump for painting...and as unusual, thinking about it got the better of me. It didn't leak when it was last in use back in about 1997 but 25 years of sitting surely hasn't improved the seals in this thing haha....so I bought the gates reseal kit and I'm now in the process of installing it. I'm only planning to install the shaft seal and the reservoir seals....not going to disassembled the pump....at least not yet lol.

This is a timely and fitting thread.

This phase of my project started as "a quick head and cam swap" with the engine installed. As we all have experienced....new and compelling info emerges and the project scope creeps...sometimes floods....my head/cam swap turned into a 90% rebuild and then some. I repainted the engine bay last weekend and was scrubbing up the power steering pump for painting...and as unusual, thinking about it got the better of me. It didn't leak when it was last in use back in about 1997 but 25 years of sitting surely hasn't improved the seals in this thing haha....so I bought the gates reseal kit and I'm now in the process of installing it. I'm only planning to install the shaft seal and the reservoir seals....not going to disassembled the pump....at least not yet lol.
Yes indeed, one thing leads to another. Aren't those the lyrics of a song!!

That is always a good thing to bring up but all of my parts have had either free shipping or reasonable shipping.....but it also boils down to how bad you need the part is to whether the buyer would pay unreasonable shipping. But you're right! Always verify shipping before bidding or buying now. I found the 4 inch long radiator fan blade bolts on eBay.......only on eBay. Nobody, not even WCCC had
I agree, check on shipping first, but if it is the only option, it is what it is.
The problem for myself and other international buyers, is the added cost of international shipping. That is where it really gets ridiculous. For US buyers it's for the most part, a different story.

Mine was a leaker last year. Bought the seal kit which worked great, bought a can of the paint, and all was well again for probably under $50.

Attachments

• 20210416_192030.jpg
    20210416_192030.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210419_191947.jpg
    20210419_191947.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210420_094302.jpg
    20210420_094302.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
I went with option 4, buying a complete new pump. My reasoning is that you may save some money if you rebuild your own. But you will likely never be able to get your reservoir as clean as a brand new one. With the amount of time I'd put into rebuilding my pump and trying to clean everything up, I would come out ahead buying one from a reputable brand who does this on a larger scale and is more efficient at it than me.

The power steering pump pulley puller can be bought for $20 bucks from Harbor Freight and it is easy to use. I thankfully had one when I did my pump last year.
https://www.harborfreight.com/pulley-remover-and-installer-set-12-pc-63068.html
I used the kit from autozone. Its $35 to use it and you get back all your money when you bring it back the next day. https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...7031-pulley-puller-and-installer-kit/2075_0_0

Mine was a leaker last year. Bought the seal kit which worked great, bought a can of the paint, and all was well again for probably under $50.
Lookin' good Chris.
The pump and PS box I got was salvaged off a 71 Mach 1 scrapper. I had it all rebuilt before I put it on my car, originally manual steering. I'm positive the pump was originally black as I remember there was no sign of another color under the black paint that was on it. I repainted mine low gloss engine black and likely that's the way it will stay unless at some point I cross the border to go to NPD to get other stuff, then I might pick up a can of the supposed "correct color blue". Shipping 1 can is out of the question.

A few days ago, I was researching the correct color for the reservoir. I came up with semi-gloss black. Oddly enough, one of the best sources for this sort of info said black while showing a picture of a pump having a blue reservoir. I noticed your blue housing and wonder if Ford installed both blue and black, from the factory? Do any of you know?

1648215358546.png

A few days ago, I was researching the correct color for the reservoir. I came up with semi-gloss black. Oddly enough, one of the best sources for this sort of info said black while showing a picture of a pump having a blue reservoir. I noticed your blue housing and wonder if Ford installed both blue and black, from the factory? Do any of you know?

View attachment 61147
For whatever is worth it, my car had a Ford blue pump when I purchased it 8 years back. However, I don't know if it was the original.

View attachment 61147
........... And the mystery continues!! I'm wondering if Ford had more that one supplier for those reservoirs and hence the reason why 2 colors. Or, could it be the "fancy cars" got nice shiny blue and the less fancy cars got black.......... but then they all got mixed up anyway, who knows.

View attachment 61147
Just to confuse things further, my housing was black, but as I removed the paint I found the blue underneath. LOL. My assumption is that it came blue, at some point was repaired by the previous owner and was just repainted black because that's what he had on hand.20210412_070939.jpg

Last edited:
I'm also aware that my aluminum looking front bracket is not correct, but I like the way it looked under the unpainted A/C compressor and clutch. That one was just a personal thing.

Attachments

• 20210420_190251.jpg
    20210420_190251.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
........... And the mystery continues!! I'm wondering if Ford had more that one supplier for those reservoirs and hence the reason why 2 colors. Or, could it be the "fancy cars" got nice shiny blue and the less fancy cars got black.......... but then they all got mixed up anyway, who knows.
Geoff. You now have a legit blue can coming your way. If it proves to be original you may be hitting a jack pot😁

Guys, I found a small leak on my Ford Thompson PS pump. I have alternatives obviously, BUT which way do I go.....
1) repair the pump I have, needs a new front shaft seal. Shaft could be worn so will leak again in time.
2) buy a reman pump without reservoir. Many vendors, NDP, Rock Auto etc. Core charges can be high up front plus shipping hassle.
3) buy one with reservoir, but the one's shown look like they had been rusty.
4) buy a NEW pump complete. More money, BUT no core charge and return hassles.
5) On R/A, several shown, Lares, Cardone, BBB and AAE, varying in price from $129 to 170 Cdn + taxes and shipping. All seem to have good manufacturing processes. So the question there is "do you really get what you pay for"?
What are your thoughts and has anyone bought one of these. If so which one.
I had my 71 Mach 1 351 Cleveland original PS pump rebuilt by Chip Woyner at powersteering.com. He did a great job and really knows his craft and these old pumps. He detailed the pump and I also selected the fast conversion ratio 12:1 ratio. The fast ration conversion made a huge difference in steering feel/play. He can be reached on 417-864-6676 (Springfield, MO).

I had my 71 Mach 1 351 Cleveland original PS pump rebuilt by Chip Woyner at powersteering.com. He did a great job and really knows his craft and these old pumps. He detailed the pump and I also selected the fast conversion ratio 12:1 ratio. The fast ration conversion made a huge difference in steering feel/play. He can be reached on 417-864-6676 (Springfield, MO).
Good info thanks. Mine is the variable ratio at 16 and 13:1, so for now, that's the way it will stay. I have another V/R box rebuilt ready to go if I need to swap it out. Personally, I don't mind the V/R box, but I have driven a fixed 17.5:1 ratio car, and it seemed really "odd" to say the least.

Just to confuse things further, my housing was black, but as I removed the paint I found the blue underneath. LOL. My assumption is that it came blue, at some point was repaired by the previous owner and was just repainted black because that's what he had on hand.View attachment 61154
Ah, interesting. When I take mine apart, it will need a refresh anyway, so I'll sand it back to bare metal and see it it really was blue originally and got repainted at some point over the years. It may of course, already be a reman and not the original as I assumed. We'll see. It likely will remain low gloss black regardless.

Back