Identify my carb…?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Dark Green Metallic
2-door SportsRoof, 351C-2V V-8
This is a remanufactured Holley carb. The sticker identifies list # 3489 with e4-5024 following it. This should be a Holley 4160 I believe, but there is no transfer tube. I’m a newbie so any help identifying this is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpeg
    IMG_1135.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1134.jpeg
    IMG_1134.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1133.jpeg
    IMG_1133.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1032.png
    IMG_1032.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
That's an Autolite 4300A. There should be an ID stamping on the driver's front mounting lug. Post that info and we can tell you what it's application is.

Holley remanufactured all manner of manufacturer's carbs over the years.

autolite carb id stamp.JPG

i am a newbie also. i have been dealing with this lately. i do recognize your carb as an Autolite 4300. Autolite was used on 1971 and earlier cars. motorcraft on 72 and later cars. there is a code stamped onto the base that tells you what application that it was intended for. the code tells you what model year of vehicle that it was on. also tells what engine and transmission that was meant for. the carb wouldve been tuned for a specific car with a particular engine and transmission. with or without ac. in my case, i am trying to locate an autolite 4300 carb that is stamped with D1OF-FA. for my 1971 Grande with 351c 4v and c6. in my case the first two digits D1 tells me D=1970's . 1 = 1971. the other numbers still confuse me. but i do know that they relate to my engine and transmission. see photo. i would love to know (as would other members here) the number code that is stamped onto it.
IMG_0639.jpg

Last edited:
That's an Autolite 4300A. There should be an ID stamping on the driver's front mounting lug. Post that info and we can tell you what it's application is.

Holley remanufactured all manner of manufacturer's carbs over the years.

View attachment 82804
Great. Thank you. I will check that number when I get home and post it.

i am a newbie also. i have been dealing with this lately. i do recognize your carb as an Autolite 4300. Autolite was used on 1971 and earlier cars. motorcraft on 72 and later cars. there is a code stamped onto the base that tells you what application that it was intended for. the code tells you what model year of vehicle that it was on. also tells what engine and transmission that was meant for. the carb wouldve been tuned for a specific car with a particular engine and transmission. with or without ac. in my case, i am trying to locate an autolite 4300 carb that is stamped with D1OF-FA. for my 1971 Grande with 351c 4v and c6. in my case the first two digits D1 tells me D=1970's . 1 = 1971. the other numbers still confuse me. but i do know that they relate to my engine and transmission. see photo. i would love to know (as would other members here) the number code that is stamped onto it.
View attachment 82812
Sure. I will take a look when I get home. My Mach 1 came from the factory with a 351c and c6, but with a 2 barrel carb (per the Marty Report). I'll keep you posted later tonight.

View attachment 82812
The only code stamped on the base is 10F-AAA

some of these carburetor stamps are weak. or lightly stamped. sometimes hard to see. if you are seeing 1OF-AAA, then it is surely a D1OF-AAA. pretty sure that the "D" got messed up somehow. in my recent carburetor dealings. i have found that the D1OF-AAA is the carb that came on the majority of the 351c 4v cars in 1971. i dont know the difference between AAA and FA. i dont know what year your car is. but i do know that the carb that you have was very common on 1971 cars with 351c 4v engines, and automatic transmission. if your car is a 1971 351c 4v model, with auto trans. then your carb is spot on correct for the car. score !

some of these carburetor stamps are weak. or lightly stamped. sometimes hard to see. if you are seeing 1OF-AAA, then it is surely a D1OF-AAA. pretty sure that the "D" got messed up somehow. in my recent carburetor dealings. i have found that the D1OF-AAA is the carb that came on the majority of the 351c 4v cars in 1971. i dont know the difference between AAA and FA. i dont know what year your car is. but i do know that the carb that you have was very common on 1971 cars with 351c 4v engines, and automatic transmission. if your car is a 1971 351c 4v model, with auto trans. then your carb is spot on correct for the car. score !
Ok! Mine is, in fact, a 1971 Mach 1, 351c, auto trans (c6). However, the Marti Report shows a 2 barrel carb. That’s throwing me off. Everything else seems to line up.

"Ok! Mine is, in fact, a 1971 Mach 1, 351c, auto trans (c6). However, the Marti Report shows a 2 barrel carb. That’s throwing me off. Everything else seems to line up."
It is not unusual for a previous owner (PO) to change out a 2 bbl intake for a 4 bbl intake. In fact, it was a popular upgrade.

Back