If you could order you car new...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an example of the compromises we make when buying cars: My daily driver today is a 5.7L Hemi Magnum. It was much cheeper than the 6.1L SRT8 and it gets much better MPGs (according to EPA) than a 6.1L. Will it be an investment in 40 years? Who knows? I am not putting it it in the garage and not drive it for 40 years though!
In 40 years i bet they both will be very desirable!

Whoever ordered my car in 1971 spent $1100 on "accessories" for A Grande!!

For $800 less he could have ordered a Boss with basic accessories. Go Figure.

mike
Maybe not so dumb. You couldn't get A/C or automatic in a Boss 351, A/C alone was $379, automatic was $210, 351-4v was $119, Stereo/tape $124,,,the stuff adds up! Plus those fastbacks look too "racey" for the office crowd.

Then there is the insurance issue between a Grande

with a lot of pep and a Boss.

You can always argue he was a family man, but when I

bought the car the rear seats looked like they had never been used.

mike

Great question!

And how I order my car would have depended on my age.....

If I was a 20 something kid ......It would have been a Boss 351 Grabber Blue with magnums I would have also ordered a " state of the art" 8 track stereo and living here in Canada I would have invested in the rear window defogger.

Now if I was my current age back then ordering a car, chances are it would have been a second car.

It would have been a 73 Convertible since they made such a big deal out of not being able to order any more vert's after 73.

351 4 spd

pwr windows ,

convenience group

sport interior

nasa hood

air conditioning

am/fm 8 track

I would have had the dealer install front and rear spoilers on it and if it was early enough order it with magnums.

I had a sleeper I ordered myself in 72. But then money as mentioned was in control. I would stay on the same idea with a sportsroof but max-out on power and performance options.

Bright Red with white interior

4-spd

Nasa hood

no spoilers

Mag 500

Built chevy's for most friends but only one with a Ford

302 3-spd with 4-spd hurst shifter knob Cobra decals, 2 1/2 inch custom exhaust. Over jeted 2V carb to lobe at idle. And to keep me safe a big chain to hold the hood locked so no one cold peep.

Alan L

The 429 was rated at 9 MPG I'm not sure about the 351 but with today's gas prices wow. This brings into focus weather it's going to a daily driver or not I don't care who's filling the tank.

Pretty easy to choose here since we are limiting to 71-73's. I would order this:

'71 Mach 1

429 SCJ

4 Speed

3:70ish gears (as close as I could get)

Grabber Blue if available, otherwise Red

Power steering, power brakes, full instrumentation, console, fold down, tilt, AM/FM 8 track, sport mirrors/visibility group, chin spoiler, rear deck spoiler, Magnums, power windows, and A/C if they would let me.

After thinking about this and if I pretend its that era again gas would be 30 cents a gal.

This makes the 429scj very cool but i'll order a boss 351 with the works 4 sd.

Boss 429, Medium Yellow, no rear spoiler, Mach 1 Ginger interior, 4 Speed, Air conditioning, 3.91 Trac Pak, and a chase truck with lots of high octane fuel and replacement tires.

Boss 351 engine if I have to stick with actual options
Maybe not a boss 429 but a 429 was available with ram air

Engine Code

Code Description

C 429-4V

F 302-2V

H 351-2V

J 429-4V Ram Air

L 250-1V

M 351-4V

Q 351-4V Ram Air

R 351-4V Boss

GREAT POST IDEA!

72 Mach 1

R Code - 351 HO

White

Stripe Package

AM/FM 8 - track stereo

Folding Rear seat

Functional Ram Air - It would have been an early order

3:50 Traction lock

4 speed

Black Mach 1 deluxe interior

console

rear defrost

Magnums
Sadly my Dad passed on that car minus rear defrost for $3500 in 97!

In 71 I was a junior in high school and would have rationalized the "practical" part away. 71 fastback, 429 SCJ, four speed, 4.11 gears, manual steering, manual drum brakes, AM/FM radio (I liked music), gauge and tach option, poverty hub caps. It would have been used to supplement my income working for $1.10 an hour in a Humble service station. Chuck

Daily Driver I would go with Blue Glow 73 Mach 1 Qcode 4spd 3.50 Traction Lok, A/C, Sport deck Seat, Black Mach 1 Sports Interior 8 track Stereo, power windows, Rim Blow wheel, front and rear spoilers, Magnums in 15x7 they can charge extra and pull them from torino parts bin!

Ultimate want would be Boss 351 Light Pewter, Sport deck Seat, Black Mach 1 Sports Interior, 8 track Stereo, Magnums in 15x7, front and rear spoilers, close ratio 4spd, Rim Blow wheel.

Guys, I've got the chrome ashtrays in the back ...Were they standard on all stangs for our years?...

It was probably unheard of to order the "ashtray delete option"

It would be like going back in time and telling the dealer I want "bluetooth" hehe

Back