Ignition, starting and charging

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsnake

Reaction score
My Car
1967,68, and 69 Cougar,
and of course the 71 I am trying to sell!

http://s819.photobucket.com/albums/zz114/woodsnake4462838/
Well, today was not a total bust, but the car still has yet to run for me.

I did the duraspark ignition swap, (always a great, cheap upgrade!) and wired it all in. I have just a couple of questions about wires now....From the firewall, there are usually a couple of wires that are in the main harness, for starting and running. I have two unidentified female plugs, near the neutral safety switch. One has a white plastic "cap", the wire is (I believe) red with a blue stripe? The other is a "green" cap, that is a black wire, with I think yellow stripes. Do they go to coil + and -? Also, I have nothing for the alternator, from the main harness, what should that connection stuff look like? There was really, nothing in the bay of this car when I bought it, other than the main harness, which was mostly unwrapped! I have identified most of the headlight stuff, but I want to be sure and get the starting charging stuff right. Help!

White large female bullet with blue/red wire is for the PRDNL lamp. The main underdash harness doesn't interface with the alternator, but the headlight harness does via a single two-prong plug with only one wire. Everything else is alternator to Voltage Regulator to starter solenoid and battery.

Well, we spliced a red/green stripe from the harness, to the coil, and it starts and RUNS! All that's left is to finish plumbing radiator, check connections, install the power steering lines, (How do those go? Which side of the power steering on the column is the pressure line?)

Car for sale, motivated buyer, it will help fund my move out of state!

Back