Ignition Wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjorge

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Trying to get the wiring in my 73 mach 1 dialed in (my ammeter doesnt work) and I've been reading the posts about alternator and ammeter wiring questions. The shop manual diagrams are just straightup confusing.

Anyways, I have a white wire with a black stripe in my factory harness, and I cant figure out what it's for. its bundled with the big black/orange, yellow and green/redstripe coming from under the battery. at he end of the white/black there is a plactic connector (coupling), plugged into another white/blackstripe tied to a fusible link. What is this wire for? I thought maybe it was tied to the alternator, but that wouldnt match any diagram I'v seen yet. Any Ideas?

White/black is typically the F or FIELD line at the voltage regulator and alternator.

my ammeter wiring was a mess from the PO, as was the alternator. If you're not fussed about originality, I bit the bullet and installed a new simple one wire alternator. Makes it easier also to rewire the ammeter. Works like a bought one! I like to keep things simple.

White/black is typically the F or FIELD line at the voltage regulator and alternator.
Right, but every diagram I've seen has the white black fron the alternator to the voltage regulator. the white/black I have is in the wire harness heading towards the fire wall.

my ammeter wiring was a mess from the PO, as was the alternator. If you're not fussed about originality, I bit the bullet and installed a new simple one wire alternator. Makes it easier also to rewire the ammeter. Works like a bought one! I like to keep things simple.
Dont really care about originality. What do you do with the rest of the wiring? I'll have to look into this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, but every diagram I've seen has the white black fron the alternator to the voltage regulator. the white/black I have is in the wire harness heading towards the fire wall.

Dont really care about originality. What do you do with the rest of the wiring? I'll have to look into this.
Can you take a picture of this white/black wire? It might be something that someone added...

Back