IMCO muffler questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooker #6921 is for 71-73 cars. Even that set lists steering box issues with 2V heads. I have the 4V version and have no issues with PS and AC. The Super Comp version (#6211) also fit with no issues. You might want to try to install them or return what you have for the right set. Sometimes just lifting the motor gets them in when there are tight clearances. Not sure if Hooker makes that note for those who try to install without raising the motor. I wouldn't try hammering them to get them to fit as it will void the warranty.
From what I see #6921 is for 2V and #6915 is for 4V. I may try and see how it goes, but first I will give them a call.

I've just ordered the 6915HKR's if you bring those up on the Summit site, there is a guy on there who left a comment saying that his fit in a 71 Mustang with power steering, this is what he had to say on the matter,

These headers looked great for a set of painted headers. I sand blasted mine and ceramic header painted them to fit the paint scheme i have on my 1971 mustang. It fit the power steering BUT you have to turn the steering just right to get them in place. Overall fit great once i have the pit man arm in the right position. Would recommend them greatly oh yea and they sound great.

I've just ordered the 6915HKR's if you bring those up on the Summit site, there is a guy on there who left a comment saying that his fit in a 71 Mustang with power steering, this is what he had to say on the matter,

These headers looked great for a set of painted headers. I sand blasted mine and ceramic header painted them to fit the paint scheme i have on my 1971 mustang. It fit the power steering BUT you have to turn the steering just right to get them in place. Overall fit great once i have the pit man arm in the right position. Would recommend them greatly oh yea and they sound great.
Good to know. I am actually taking down part of the steering for replacement so it should be easier. What I don't want is that when I assemble the steering back something does not fit. Let me know how it goes for you.

No worries, I can't see why it wouldn't fit in a 71 though, makes no sense. Also when you look at the vehicle fit guide it makes no mention of power steering or anything like that, main drama I've found for fit with headers is to clear a C6 box, which these do. I'm hoping mine get here before Christmas so I can fit it all up during the break, also haven't decided yet if I'll get them coated. I have a mate whose brother works for mob that does them, he'll do them for me inside and outside for the price of just doing the outside. I'll see what happens.

I have the 6915 on my car. No PS/PB issues. the passengers side collector flange required a very small notch to clear the C6 pan rail. Chuck

Thanks Chuck for the heads up, I'll keep that in mind when I fit mine up. I love how manufacturers tell you that it'll clear this and fit your application no problem, then you have to modify it to clear things. The joys of cars.

"Bolt on" is a myth used by manufacturers to sell parts. Still, we keep buying the parts. :p Chuck

Back