IMCO muffler questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another good question would be: using prefab tubing kits or have a muffler shop fabricate the tubing. Thoughts?
some kits fit well and some need tweeking by a muffler shop . . most kits come with mufflers so your selection in sound is limited . . i would look at NPD's site and maybe summitracing for ideas . . dual 2 1/2" pipe with a cross over is plenty big enough for 400 hp . . exhaust is kind if a pita.

Hooker headers are pretty large, free flowing headers. Unless you have a seriously modified engine, you will probably suffer a drmatic loss of low-end torque with those installed. Go for some Blackjack or Hedman headers...they work better on a street-driven, mostly-stock drivetrain. And they fit in nice and close too.
Great advice, Kit.

351C dyno numbers for headers and manifolds. http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5650045562/m/901106594?r=636107594#636107594

The Hooker comps fit well and relatively tight to the bottom of the car.

Chuck
Great link, but kind of hard to follow. They don't seem to have tested the stock Cleveland manifold, but rather the Pantera manifold. They claim the Pantera manifold runs similar to the stock manifold. The test shows a substantial gain when using Hooker headers compared to the Pantera header manifold. Therefore, you can infer that there is a substantial gain when going from stock manifold to Hooker headers. The confusing part is that they talk about a Tri-Y manifold that has 2" primaries, which seem quite large.

I am looking for time at a local Dyno to have a baseline for my car. I will make some mods over the winter and then Dyno again. I will add headers, but also a less restrictive exhaust, rebuild carb, and new ignition system. Let's see what I find.

Here is a good link where they compare stock manifold vs Hooker headers, tri-y vs. 4-1, short vs. long designs. It is for a small block Chevy though. http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/116-0312-exhaust-pipes-test/

Last edited by a moderator:
header tube size needs to be matched to the engine . . they used high flow aluminum heads so this is not representative of an engine with stock heads . . headers that are too large for an engine/app will loose hp just like headers that are too small.

header wrap does about the same thing.

swaincoat does true ceramic coating.

As a follow up.... I ended up purchasing the Hooker headers 6915-3HKR from Summit, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-6915-3HKR , they were at a good discount. According to their website they are a fit for my car. I received the box today and what is my surprise that when I see the instructions it indicates that it does not fit a 1971 with power steering/brakes, which mine has. Any experience on fitting them to a 1971 with power steering/brakes. Just by looking at them, but have not taken any careful dimensions yet, it appears that they may interfere with the steering gear box. Is there a difference between the steering gear box of a 1971 and 1972-73?

I don't think there's any difference between steering boxes in 71-73 mustangs....
The reason I ask is because the instructions specifically say it does not fit 1970-71 with power steering and power brakes. Is there a difference with other steering components? I can't see how the power brakes affect the fit.

Hooker #6921 is for 71-73 cars. Even that set lists steering box issues with 2V heads. I have the 4V version and have no issues with PS and AC. The Super Comp version (#6211) also fit with no issues. You might want to try to install them or return what you have for the right set. Sometimes just lifting the motor gets them in when there are tight clearances. Not sure if Hooker makes that note for those who try to install without raising the motor. I wouldn't try hammering them to get them to fit as it will void the warranty.

Back