Installed Shoulder Belt Conversion Today

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eags 73

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convert
302 Ram Air
Auto 4sp w/od
I bought a seat & Shoulder belt kit for my 73 vert from Andover Restraints and finally got around to installing it. The kit came with no instructions so I just did it my way and I think it came out ok. I had to refine a couple of the back up plates they sent as shown. I removed the rubber gasket for the rear quarter window and inserted my modified back up plate. I stuck a towel in there while working so nothing would drop all the way down if I got clumsy.

Photo535.jpg

Photo536.jpg

Photo537.jpg

Photo538.jpg

Photo539.jpg

Photo540.jpg

Photo541.jpg

Photo542.jpg

Photo543.jpg

Photo544.jpg

Photo547.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How do they fit? (You, not the car). Are they comfortable? How long did it take to install them? I've been looking at them for awhile. You're the first person I've seen install a set.

Doug, They fit good, seem to have enough slack to make adjustments as needed, (I am 6'2" and about 200#) The first one on the driver side took about 3 hours, but today I got the passenger one in in a bit less than two hours, it should only take about 1.5 hr per side but I had a heck of a time with replacing one bolt (my own fault). They did pull in the side panel a bit so I may add a spacer behind the upper bracket or add a foam "washer" between the window handle and the panel.

Doug, They fit good, seem to have enough slack to make adjustments as needed, (I am 6'2" and about 200#) The first one on the driver side took about 3 hours, but today I got the passenger one in in a bit less than two hours, it should only take about 1.5 hr per side but I had a heck of a time with replacing one bolt (my own fault). They did pull in the side panel a bit so I may add a spacer behind the upper bracket or add a foam "washer" between the window handle and the panel.
Good to know. I want to upgrade my seat belts before I get the car on the road. Thanks for the info!

I have been thinking about adding shoulder harness seatbelts for a while, I was thinking front and Back.

I like the buckle on the kit you got it almost looks like the stock buckle, where did you get them from?

my biggest thing would be how much room I have, I'm 6' tall 270#

]

I have been thinking about adding shoulder harness seatbelts for a while, I was thinking front and Back.

I like the buckle on the kit you got it almost looks like the stock buckle, where did you get them from?

I bought them from Andover Restraints andoverrestraints.com

I think they would be ok for you I will take some measurements tomorrow and add my findings to this post.

Here is what I ordered:

Image (67).jpg

After using them for a couple weeks now I think that you would not have a problem with fit, there is a lot of adjustment room. I have found the new 2 belt set up to be very comfortable.

Jon

Back