Installing 1" lowering blocks in rear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
So I've seen two ways to install lowering blocks and looking for advice on which is best.

1 leave the car on the ground. Put a jack under the plate to support the car. Remove the u bolts and slowly lower the Jack enough to get the block in. Jack it back up tight and install the new u bolts doing one side at a time

2 put the car up on Jack stands on the subframe. Use a Jack on the pumpkin towards the front to support the axel and to keep it from rolling the axel forward then another Jack on the axel tube and then remove u bolts and Jack the axel up to install the blocks. Then lower the axel back down and install u bolts. Doing one side at a time.

To me option 1 seems easier but wanted to know if there was something I was missing. Any help is appreciated.

Both methods would work, personally I don't like to work on anything that is only supported by a jack, so method 1 would be a no go for me.

I'd break free the nuts on the u-bolts with a big breaker bar while it was on the ground, then support it with stands on the subframe. Pull the wheels, remove the u-bolts from one side, jack up the axle and install a block, install new u-bolts then repeat on the other side.

Jack and support with stands under the front spring eye mount area (torque box).

Remove wheels.

Jack up under snout of axle pumpkin just to hold from rotating.

Loosen all spring u-bolts, do not remove.

Remove side of choice, insert lowering block, snug bolts - do not tighten!

Do second side.

Ensure axle and blocks are centered on alignment pins, tighten till snug.

Torque to spec.

Reinstall wheels, jack and lower to ground.

Road test and re-torque u-bolts

Back