installing duraspark questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mycoses

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach-1 351C
autorestomod.docx

I intend to order the NPD duraspark system and am looking at at wiring diagram from AUTORESTOMOD but i am elecrically challenged . the diagram shows a white wire from the harness connecting to a brown wire off the "I" terminal of the starter relay but my 71 mach has no brown wire. diagram shows a red wire from the harness to the coil but doesn't indicate pos+ or neg-- terminal on the coil. and a red wire from the harness to a connector at the firewall quote:"connect red with green wire to red wire in total performance harness". very confusing description. And a quote at bottom of diagram states to leave the pink resistance wire intact because the system requires a 1.4 ohm resistor. any clarification would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• autorestomod.docx
    115.1 KB · Views: 18
The brown wire is the wire that connects to the I post at the starter solenoid; it sometimes is red/green in color. According to the instructions, simply cut that wire somewhere back in the headlight harness and connect the remnant that is still attached to the starter solenoid to your white wire.

The red wire connects to the wire that goes to the + side of the coil, typically red/green. Cut that wire before it reaches the coil and attach the red wire to what comes out of the firewall. Take the remnant that attaches to the coil and attach it to the second leg of the red wire. It appears that the system simply wants to intercept that signal.

I intend to order the NPD duraspark system and am looking at at wiring diagram from AUTORESTOMOD but i am elecrically challenged . the diagram shows a white wire from the harness connecting to a brown wire off the "I" terminal of the starter relay but my 71 mach has no brown wire. diagram shows a red wire from the harness to the coil but doesn't indicate pos+ or neg-- terminal on the coil. and a red wire from the harness to a connector at the firewall quote:"connect red with green wire to red wire in total performance harness". very confusing description. And a quote at bottom of diagram states to leave the pink resistance wire intact because the system requires a 1.4 ohm resistor. any clarification would be much appreciated.
Here is a pretty good article that I came across several years ago. It also has good wiring diagrams that may help you to understand the conversion better. The link to the author no longer works.

Converting to DuraSpark.pdf

You will notice that the Duraspark module requires 12 volts, but the stock coil requires the reduced voltage through the ballast resistor wire. If you go to a performance coil, or to the Ford e-coil, you will bypass the resistor wire.

Attachments

• Converting to DuraSpark.pdf
    362 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
Back