interior paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiujitsuDave

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Fastback
2005 Mustang GT
I need to repaint the metal on my dash. Glove box, surround, etc. Anyone know what I should use for it to look factory and not obvious that I painted it?

Yes, totally agree to use SEM products. SEM Trim Black is ideal

I suggest a light sanding with no courser than 800 grit, wipe with grease and wax remover, allow to dry thoroughly then a final wipe with a clean tack cloth. SEM Trim Black does not need a primer, but VERY IMPORTANT, apply in light coats only allowing it to flash off between coats. Don't rush!! 2-3 coats should give you a fantastic looking dash. NOW don't be in a rush to put it back together, Trim Black needs at least 24 to 48 hrs to cure fully.

Hope that help get you that awesome looking dash you want.

Geoff.

Do know that the metal parts of the dash both the section from windshield to dash pad and the actual metal dash that holds instruments is a metallic black and Ford used the same from 1964 to 73 and probably later. The plastic is not metallic in some areas.

I would suggest you pull the whole dash out if you are going to paint it much easier and much faster and wiring can be addressed also. With dash out heater core replacement is a breeze.

The car will smell much fresher if you take all the heater and defrost duct work out and give a good cleaning. Probably mouse nest in heater box. Be sure to add screen wire over the cowl opening to stop them from getting in again.

David

Back