Interior painting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJHStang

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
[url=https://ibb.co/b33Pn4f][img]https://i.ibb.co/6ZZm5Kd/20190723-095138-1.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://freeonlinedice.com/]black and red dice[/url]
I started this new post even though I had one before but getting confusing. Hope no one has a problem.

I purchased SEM vermillion red which is the interior color of my 71 Mach 1.
I sprayed on the adhesive promoter as directed and 4 coats of the SEM paint.
I ended up using the whole can and was disappointed in the coverage.
It did not cover very well. I have attached a couple of pictures. One is of a worn spot that is black that I even over sprayed (I have a few others but are out of site) as you can tell and the other is the main quarter panel that had sun damage. In person you can still see a hint of darkness.
I have a feeling if I buy new which all I have seen come black color it would not cover.
The paint cost around $18 and shipping $13.
Looking for suggestions on what I may have done wrong or if there is a color that is close. It is the back seat, so if close not to noticeable.

Attachments

• ED4AC335-C228-4E8B-9A3F-59FF042FA0E4.jpeg
    ED4AC335-C228-4E8B-9A3F-59FF042FA0E4.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • A84FEED8-556F-471A-8027-6E79E20AD484.jpeg
    A84FEED8-556F-471A-8027-6E79E20AD484.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
JJHStang, I have used SEM Black Trim on most of my interior and for the last 3 or 4 cans, I have noticed that I don't get as far. Seems like the cans were not full or something had changed with the formula because what would have covered two times as much a couple years ago now only cover half. When I go to pick up a can, I now pick up two cans instead. Good luck.

Tom

Like Vinatgeman implied, I believe SEM is suffering shrinkflation (less or thinned product for the same money).
For the 32 bucks that you've invested in the SEM paint, it might be worth checking out a local automotive paint store. They can custom mix your EXACT color (as per the factory number) and put it in a spray can for you. They MIGHT even be cheaper. They can also give you tips in person, especially when you explain that the SEM paint was too transparent.

Light colors just take extra coats to cover.

I'd suggest you locate a local auto paint store that sells the SEM Colorcoat. They can mix you a pint, quart or a gallon of the interior paint to match the Vermillion color. IIRC, it is not expensive this way, and no shipping. I did my interior with a small Harbor Freight type detail gun and still have half a quart left. You could probably also use a Preval sprayer, as the paint is quite thin.

Your profile shows Texas as you location. Distributor locator linked below.

https://www.semproducts.com/locator/tx

sem_vermillion.JPG

As suggested a couple of posts above, you may want to try an automotive paint store. Take the quarter panel in or something with the paint you are trying to match and have them match it with a custom mix.

I wanted to do a couple of engine touchup spots but wasnt having any success with the sold "Ford Blue" colors. I took the air cleaner top in with me and they were able to match the color, give me a spray can with it as well as small can with the paint for other non-spray touchups. Everything matched perfectly.

The formula they use is also on the can so you can get the same color if needed in the future.

I used SEM paints for years when I worked (now retired) and always had good luck with that brand, however, like everything else these days, quantity and quality goes down to try and fool people the price didn't go up. Bought a chocolate bar lately!!?
As far as coverage in this case is concerned, technique has a lot to do with how well it will turn out. One can waste a lot of paint without realizing it if not applied properly and that takes time and practice to perfect.
For larger areas like panels, I would for sure get paint mixed, use the correct reducer for plastics and gun paint it. Spray bombs are best for small areas and touch up. If you do go for cans, make sure the nozzle is one that give a smooth even spray pattern. A nozzle like you would find on say, a can of WD 40, is not what you want.

I am back again looking for paint help.
I have found a place that will make me a spray can with the color I need if I have the color code.
I have tried Ford but car is to old. I also do not have the sticker on the door. I know the exterior is Bright. I need the interior color code for Vermillion Red.
Any suggestions or answers appreciated.

I am back again looking for paint help.
I have found a place that will make me a spray can with the color I need if I have the color code.
I have tried Ford but car is to old. I also do not have the sticker on the door. I know the exterior is Bright. I need the interior color code for Vermillion Red.
Any suggestions or answers appreciated.
This is the original chart for 71 interior colors. I attached as a pfd, but can recopy as a jpg if necessary.
I'm confused too!!

Attachments

• Scan0002.pdf
    420.7 KB · Views: 10
Thanks everyone. It took a lot of calling but found a paint shop would make me w can of spray paint to match. Not sure if the used the code or matched the quarter panel I brought in.
Put another coat of adhesive promoter then to more coats of paint. I think it now looks pretty good and have them installed.

Back