Interior rear quarter panel trim

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Sport Roof
So as some of you know my interior trim panels were all scratched to hell. One of our illustrious forum members recommended covering them in vinyl, and that got me thinking. Instead of just gluing vinyl to them, I wanted a custom look so I found some of this stuff online. If I go this route, I'll get some heavy butcher paper and cut out some templates of the different surface dimensions on the trim panels, then cut the vinyl out to the template design. Stitch the vinyl panels together, then do some fancy exposed stitching and it will look like a custom interior job. And the new upholstery will fit the panels so I can glue them on and it should look like a factory option type thing. If I go this route I'll keep detailed notes and post them up with pictures.

So what does the "hive" think?

Recardo Montaban would be proud of this mod.

I have seen similar projects and they looked ok when done.

I have also seen some panels that were sprayed with a heavy liquid flexible paint/vynal - almost like a truck bed paint and they looked real good when finished. It left them with an overall even texture that did not seem out of place when in the car. There are a lot of texture type paints out there now.

The coolist thing I saw was a body shop took some very rough interior panels body filled all the scratches and fiberglassed the speaker holes and then blocked and finished them to the same apperance as the cars high dollar exterior paint job. Lots of hours and lots of $ but they sure looked sharp.

Post pics!

Paul of MO

So as some of you know my interior trim panels were all scratched to hell. One of our illustrious forum members recommended covering them in vinyl, and that got me thinking. Instead of just gluing vinyl to them, I wanted a custom look so I found some of this stuff online. If I go this route, I'll get some heavy butcher paper and cut out some templates of the different surface dimensions on the trim panels, then cut the vinyl out to the template design. Stitch the vinyl panels together, then do some fancy exposed stitching and it will look like a custom interior job. And the new upholstery will fit the panels so I can glue them on and it should look like a factory option type thing. If I go this route I'll keep detailed notes and post them up with pictures.

i think its cool, the older mustangs had covers over the rear metal panels and they had nice exposed stitching that made the interior rich looking.

when ford went to plastic for the interior they mimicked camera case texture which was by definition a textured leather or synthetic.

so your finishing off what ford wanted to do but cheaped out on :)

I wanted to do something similar, my original panels were so bad i could put my finger through the plastic easily. Since i needed to replace them i bought a decent set off Don at Ohio and basically they were good enough that i left them alone just re-painted for color.

I did want to make covers at some point to put over the plastic just never did. for back seat comfort having those panels padded would make seating back there much nicer.

great project, Do it REALLY well and you can market the covers :D and sell them

Here is a pic of the rear panel covered with leather in a vert...not finished and not mine. Also a couple of pics of the interior. Notice the custom door panels. It won't look bad when done but not my taste.

IMG01606-20110818-1158.jpg

IMG01600-20110818-1154.jpg

IMG01607-20110818-1158.jpg

IMG01601-20110818-1154.jpg

IMG01603-20110818-1155.jpg

I think that's a great idea! Now why didn't I think of that? :) Mine were badly deteriorated and started to flake. Instead of trying to fix it, a guy out in NCarolina hooked me up. Sounds like you've got the talent to make this happen so very interested in seeing the end results.

Don, those are pretty shoddy looking. The idea looks nice but the execution...let's just say that it looks like they don't fit. I'm thinking more attention to detail here, where the seams line up with the edges and corners and all that. I think I'll give it a shot. If the fit sucks, then the worst case scenario is paint the trim pieces with texture paint or buy new ones, so I think it's worth the $50 in materials to give it a shot.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll post up results once I get rolling on it.

Steve, heck yeah they look shoddy. They guy isn't done with them but I agree they look big & like they won't fit when he is done. Anyway not my car but I too liked the idea he was going for.

If you click on 'my garage' and look at modifications you can see an example of one covered in vinyl. Done by a local shop (guy told me never to ask him to do it again). Looked really nice 15 years ago but time/weather/wear has marked them up. I suppose I can clean and dye them up again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definetly can tell it's a work in progress and not a bad idea. Me, I'm one of those folks who deals with things the way they were created and just rolls with it.

If you click on 'my garage' and look at modifications you can see an example of one covered in vinyl. Done by a local shop (guy told me never to ask him to do it again. Looked really nice 15 years ago but time/weather/wear has marked them up. I supposed I can clean and dye them up again.
It looks like it could have been original. I like what you did. Here's the pic...

mi5.jpg

If you click on 'my garage' and look at modifications you can see an example of one covered in vinyl. Done by a local shop (guy told me never to ask him to do it again. Looked really nice 15 years ago but time/weather/wear has marked them up. I supposed I can clean and dye them up again.
It looks like it could have been original. I like what you did. Here's the pic...

mi5.jpg
Those look nice. Mine look like crap. I was thinking of hitting them with high build, blocking them and painting them. How bad could it look?

Also, is that a shoulder belt I see? Is that original? If so I never knew they were available on a vert.

Yeah, that looks pretty nice. As long as its done well then I like the idea. I'm worried that if I only paint them they will just get all scratched up again. That, and I don't know how well the scratches will fill in. I mean, those scratches are BAAAAADDD!

VHT makes spray can paint for vinyl and plastic that adheres extremely well. Almost magic like cause you can stump on the paint and even sit on it with white pants and it won't transfer or rub off. Good stuff!

Vinyl wrapping the quarters will require a steamer, time and a lot of cussing. The two problem areas are going to be the recess for the arm rests and the top where the convertible quarters are cut out. Notice the bunching in the radius at the top of the picture, the compound curve creates excess material at the top. It needs to be steamed and pulled wide as you go. The vinyl will probably need to be cut and stapled under the armrest pad. I'm going to do mine eventually as I have a steamer and cussing but no time.

Vinyl wrapping the quarters will require a steamer, time and a lot of cussing. The two problem areas are going to be the recess for the arm rests and the top where the convertible quarters are cut out. Notice the bunching in the radius at the top of the picture, the compound curve creates excess material at the top. It needs to be steamed and pulled wide as you go. The vinyl will probably need to be cut and stapled under the armrest pad. I'm going to do mine eventually as I have a steamer and cussing but no time.
Good point. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. I only have cussing.

Back