Introduction Searching for a Sprint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O.K. guys I'm looking for the panel of pros opinions.

I heard from the seller about this car. Not only has the axle and transmission been swapped out but so has the engine. the S/N on the back of the block doesn't match the VIN of the car. So this will never be a numbers matching car ever.

My question to you all is this:

What would you do if you were looking at purchasing the car?

It needs extensive metal repair,an entire interior and every component of the drivetrain/mechanicals redone. Keep in mind that the requirement for purchase is hiring the shop to do the restoration. I've done the research on the materials/parts which would run upwards of $15K and probably closer to $20K with paint. Then there is the labor which could easily match the parts cost. Would you spend $30 to $40K to end up with an extremely rare one of 495 Canadian edition Sprints?

Obviously I'm torn about making this decision but won't offer my thoughts yet so as to not sway the general consensus of the group.

So go ahead give it to me straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
O.K. guys I'm looking for the panel of pros opinions.

I heard from the seller about this car. Not only has the axle and transmission been swapped out but so has the engine. the S/N on the back of the block doesn't match the VIN of the car. So this will never be a numbers matching car ever.

My question to you all is this:

It needs extensive metal repair,an entire interior and every component of the drivetrain/mechanicals redone. Keep in mind that the requirement for purchase is hiring the shop to do the restoration. I've done the research on the materials/parts which would run upwards of $15K and probably closer to $20K with paint. Then there is the labor which could easily match the parts cost. Would you spend $30 to $40K to end up with an extremely rare one of 495 Canadian edition Sprints?

Obviously I'm torn about making this decision but won't offer my thoughts yet so as to not sway the general consensus of the group.

Me personally..If I was spending that much already.. I'd consider a finished Boss for a few more bucks..The Boss would be a better investment..something you could get into right away..A car thats a lot more desirable to collectors than what your looking to get involved with..So unless you just gotta have a sprint coupe..I say spend the 40-45 On a finished Boss they are out there & a finished restored one can be had for the money you'd spent on that sprint. heres a beauty for 45..http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/mustang/1606126.html If you put the sprint & this car next to each other at a car show..Well you know the out come..It's a no brainer..Not only that, roll both cars across an auction block & all the action would be on the boss not the sprint ..I'm talking your finished sprint vs a finished Boss

If it were me I would walk away and not give it another thought. Think about what Scott just said about the Boss vs Sprint - that's a very sobering comparison. You could always buy my M-code, 4 speed car to finish and be way, way ahead with money to spare and still have a rare numbers matching car in your stable.

If your willing to spend that kind of money. I would find a nice Boss or Mach 1 from the south west. Something you can hop in and enjoy now. This way you can stay rolling on your currant projects.

It seems that the main purpose of the purchase is the car's rare status.

Without "numbers matching" being part of that equation it looses some (a lot) of that mystique.

With that gone is it "worth" (to you) the price of admission.

O.K. I expected a few more replies but I do value the ones given.

I agree totally and have decided not to decide about this car for now. It just doesn't make sense to pour that kind of dough into a non numbers matching car no matter how rare it is.

I'm off on holiday until April and will rethink the issue in the spring and in the mean time I'll keep surfing for a great deal on another car. They do come up sometimes so you never know what I'll find.

Thnaks everyone for all you input especially Scott & Don, I really value your opinions as you guys are the real pros when it comes to 71-73 Stangs.

Enjoy the off season holiday!
Thanks Don I certainly will. My employee/caretaker is moving in today and will live onsite until I return in the spring. He lives onsite by himself all winter sort of like Jack Nicholson did in the movie "The Shining".

Fortunately I don't have a maze here or any dead people haunting the location so I shouldn't find him frozen into a snowbank next spring.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back