Introduction Searching for a Sprint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you post the Marti report? (Or add it to the Marti report forum).

This one has me thinking...I'm not sure what I would do since everything needs to be replaced. That's a huge project. Have to think about this some more.

I think it should have come with a blue mini-console but I have no source to back that up.

Don the Marti is up now in the Marti report forum.

I thought I'd post a few of the pics of the car. Please give me your opinions, ideas, suggestions etc. Be frank I can take it!

Here are the overview pics, front and back side to side:

1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe (CDN) Front DS View.JPG

1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe (CDN)Front PS View.JPG

1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe (CDN) Rear DS View.JPG

1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe (CDN)Rear PS View.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is one rusty car! You are going into this marriage with eyes open and know she's going to be a high maintenance gal...so if you have the money and the time then why not. Just realize that even though it is a rare car, you probably won't get your money back out of it. Also realize that after you are gone whoever gets the car won't get the money back either.

If it were me, I think I would rather drop the large bills on some things that will create better memories with the family in the here and now and let someone else mess with this car. In other words, I would buy a different car that will take less money to complete and use the difference you'd save by going on vacation with the family pulling the airstream to beautiful Gulf Shores, Alabama. :D For this car I think that would be a better return on the investment. ;)

But that's just what I would do. Keep in mind I really hate seeing them not fixed up.

To put what Don said a little different, that project would be a labor of love. So before you start it - you sure better LOVE IT!

Sprints are definitely neat cars but ouch. Of course I wish you the best of luck no matter what you decide.

Ray

Cool car...but wow with the rust!

I would love to see what you think the financials are on this car...

Purchase price plus all estimated improvements when completed??

Please share...

Jeff

You've listed all the areas with major rust issues except the cowl. I'm assuming that is because it has completely disintegrated due to rust. :p

The 1 of 1 Cdn Sprint idea is cool, but I think you could put maybe US $20k into it and not see it, just to get it road worthy.

But I've seen much worse (for example, Eric4x4's Rustang) that have been brought back from the dead. Best of luck if you decide to head in that direction.

Don None of the cars or trailers I've done will reap a financial benefit to me ever. that's not why I do them. I like the particular style/year or rarity of each one. I do love a challenge too. Searching for the rare and hard to find parts, taking the time and effort to bring them back to life, that is where I can get the most enjoyment from the build. What is actually give pause for concern is that on this car I won't be doing any of that except for maybe parts sourcing.

BTW I do head south for the winter just a little farther south than the shores of 'Bama.

Ray, yep I think I'm falling in love with the car.

Mach71351C and Jeff: the asking on the car is $2500 and the guesstimate for the restoration is in the mid to high 20'sK.

73vertproject, you're right I omitted the cowl as I can't really see it closely enough to inspect it but I'm assuming it will be rotten too. As built it was 1 of 5 and only 1 of 1 listed as surviving. There are probably more of them out there somewhere but I wonder what the odds are that any more of the 5 are still in existence.

So far the poll states 1 sure fire walk away and 1 go for it and 3 undecided. Keep the votes coming in please!

Cool. I like a good challenge too. If you have the resources then go for it. I'd save them all if I could.

Chris, I guess I am similar to you in that I have not acquired any of my cars as investment vehicles.

My take is that One should do whatever He or She feels they need to do to get them through the day. When it is all said and done, you cannot take ANYTHING with you in the end.

If you enjoy bringing a car back, go for that enjoyment especially if you have the treasure and/or time:).

As Doc has noted I, too, have seen a number of vehicles in a LOT worse shape be brought back for the enjoyment of the Owner.

BT

When it is all said and done, you cannot take ANYTHING with you in the end.
Are you sure about that?

I thought I'd better post some pics of the shop and work done there before I show any more rusty sprint photos. So here we go:

A couple of shots of the shop.

1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe (CDN)Shop View 1.JPG

1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe (CDN)Shop View 2.JPG

Now here are some VW campers, one is done and the other is fresh out of the paint shop.

1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe (CDN) VW Camper Finished.JPG

1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe (CDN)VW Camper Fresh Out Of Paint.JPG

and lastly a edit it's a fire chicken not a camaro. awaiting it's owner to pick it up.

1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe (CDN)Camaro.JPG

Are you sure they can do rust repair...I don't see any rust on the floor of the shop? :p

Looks like a professional setup.

Don I'm working on it now. I took 106 pics and am going through them to name them for ease of viewing so I can post related pics to comments.

Ken actually Wasaga is just part of my Nom de plume (name of the feather for you Americans). It refers to a name under which you write, dating back to the days of writing with quill & ink.

Home base for me now is in Durham which is 1/2 hour south of Owen Sound.

For the trip home I avoided the TO area and drove back west on Hwy 7, up Hwy 48 and crossed the 400 at Bradford then picked up Hwy 89 across to Hwy 10 and north to here. It still took as long but I avoided the stop and go jam ups and all the madness of traversing the 401 during rush hour.
Used to know the area well, my dad's family is from Wiarton....Passed through Durham many times on the way up there.

Are you sure they can do rust repair...I don't see any rust on the floor of the shop? :p

Yes they do rust repair. Right now there is a 60's stang on a rotisserie currently on hold for funds, a 69 FB on a rotisserie that is a work in progress and a 70 coupe that the body is mostly done and they are installing a drivetrain from a wrecked 2011 Shelby.

Then there is this ambitious project that a customer is willing to pay for:

1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe (CDN) 196_ Mustang Vert..JPG

The trunk pan doesn't exist and the rear spring shackles are resting on the upper trunk lid, the shock tower has seperated from the inner fender skirt, See how the front wheel is tilted outwards and there is a 4x4 holding the shell up.

Chris,

The car can be brought back, but part of the fun you described was searching for the rare and hard to find bits and pieces. The question you have to ask yourself is " will you be okay with handing that job over to the shop"?

Chris,

The car can be brought back, but part of the fun you described was searching for the rare and hard to find bits and pieces. The question you have to ask yourself is " will you be okay with handing that job over to the shop"?
That is the million dollar question for sure. On one hand I won't be involved very much with the actual build but on the other hand I can't take on another project myself for a few years anyway. So I either buy the car let them do the work or pass on it and keep searching for years trying to find another Cdn Sprint that might never surface.

what to do, what to do? My mind is swaying back and forth over this but I'm tending to think a bird in the hand is worth than two in the bush. Actually in this case the phrase that most fits the situation is: I shouldn't look a gift horse(Mustang) in the mouth.:D

Yes they do rust repair.
I was joking about that because the shop looked very clean in the way I would want a high caliber shop to look. It's hard to tell but from what I could see it appears they do excellent work.

Side note... PM me your email so I can send the files to you I mentioned in my message.

" We also discussed materials, suppliers for parts etc. He has a Cdn source for body panels which are of a superior quaility than all the rest of the available foreign made panels (Politically Correct term)."

I would like to know where he would get Canadian made sheet metal for a 71-3 ?

Don

" We also discussed materials, suppliers for parts etc. He has a Cdn source for body panels which are of a superior quaility than all the rest of the available foreign made panels (Politically Correct term)."

I would like to know where he would get Canadian made sheet metal for a 71-3 ?

Don
Good morning Don, I can't remember the name of the manufacturer/supplier that he used. It begins with a B, something like Blackwood, Brentwood or something like that.

I do know that they are sold through a division of this company:

http://ecat.crosscanadaparts.com/base/welcome.php?year=1972&make=FORD&model=MUSTANG

I will contact the shop and ask him for some more information.

He did tell me that he had one customer that sourced his own sheet metal from a US store similar to yours which for discussion purposes does not need to be named. The parts were much much thinner than the panels he can obtain.

He also states that his supply fits better without shimming or trimming and everything just lines up better.

In now way was he or I knocking your or similar businesses as you all sell the same parts from the same distributors, it's just that he tells me he can source better parts here.

I will PM you some info if you are interested.

Yes they do rust repair. Right now there is a 60's stang on a rotisserie currently on hold for funds, a 69 FB on a rotisserie that is a work in progress and a 70 coupe that the body is mostly done and they are installing a drivetrain from a wrecked 2011 Shelby.

Then there is this ambitious project that a customer is willing to pay for:

The trunk pan doesn't exist and the rear spring shackles are resting on the upper trunk lid, the shock tower has seperated from the inner fender skirt, See how the front wheel is tilted outwards and there is a 4x4 holding the shell up.
The trunk floor is the top of the gas tank on 65-66 cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back