Introduction Searching for a Sprint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
welcome from Tenn, I have a sprint package B sportsroof that needs full resto that I would sell. Look in the Marti report section for options. It has comp susp too.

welcome from Tenn, I have a sprint package B sportsroof that needs full resto that I would sell. Look in the Marti report section for options. It has comp susp too.
Hi I'm guessing from reading your threads the car is in pieces now. Engine/trans out, fenders and hood removed.

can you give me a little more info on the condition and your asking price please?

Hi I'm guessing from reading your threads the car is in pieces now. Engine/trans out, fenders and hood removed.

can you give me a little more info on the condition and your asking price please?
Yes, motor/trans out and front clip off. It needs floors and truck pan welded in. I have some parts for car including trunk floor, drop offs, tail light panel and full left side quarter. I can email some cell phone pics if interested. price is $3,000

I'll keep it in mind, but my first thought is that shipping a car that is in pieces would be far too expensive for me to even consider the car at that price.You would probably be insulted at what I would consider offering you for the car so I won't do that.

Are the parts you have NOS, repop's or used pieces?

I'll keep it in mind, but my first thought is that shipping a car that is in pieces would be far too expensive for me to even consider the car at that price.You would probably be insulted at what I would consider offering you for the car so I won't do that.

One of our members bought this roller from me and had it shipped from San Diego CA to Ontario for under 1k.By by parts car 003.jpg

Some parts are new repops and the quarter is a good orig part. If you wanted the car, I would reinstall motor and body panels. It wouldn't run but could be shipped as a "roller'. Its a matching number Sprint so I think its worth $2,500 even in its current state. If you think its not worth that, no biggie.

Some parts are new repops and the quarter is a good orig part. If you wanted the car, I would reinstall motor and body panels. It wouldn't run but could be shipped as a "roller'. Its a matching number Sprint so I think its worth $2,500 even in its current state. If you think its not worth that, no biggie.
PM sent

Road trip tomorrow. Heading out at 5:00AM on a 4 hour each way trip to look at the Sprint Coupe that the restoration shop has for sale. If I leave here at 5 I can beat the morning rush in the Big Smoke (Toronto) and still arrive early in the morning at his shop so I can spend the better part of the day poking over the car and talking to the owner and make it back thru TO before the afternoon rush.

I don't think I'll be pulling the trigger on the car yet but I do want to get eyes on it and ask a million questions about his shop and exactly how he does his work.

I'll be taking lots of pics and will post them here tomorrow night upon return.

Wish me luck!

Thanks guys for the best wishes.

I left a little late this morning at 5:30AM and it was cold, down to freezing. Consequently I got hung up in traffic and spent 2 hrs trying to get across Toronto. Then it took me a while to find his place. GPS couldn't locate his road. I arrived at 11:00AM and spent the better part of the day going over the car and discussing how he does things and how I would like the car done. I didn't leave his place until 4:30PM and it took me until 10:00PM to get home.

I'm too tired to do a write up tonight but I will say the car needs a lot of metal work. I have over 100 pics of the car, his shop and some finished cars and cars on the go. I'll do a through write up tomorrow and will post pics to show what the car is like.

More to follow in the morning.

P.S. this is the first time I've seen a 71-73 in person and actually sat behind the wheel of one. I'm hooked now for sure.

Don I'm working on it now. I took 106 pics and am going through them to name them for ease of viewing so I can post related pics to comments.

Ken actually Wasaga is just part of my Nom de plume (name of the feather for you Americans). It refers to a name under which you write, dating back to the days of writing with quill & ink.

Home base for me now is in Durham which is 1/2 hour south of Owen Sound.

For the trip home I avoided the TO area and drove back west on Hwy 7, up Hwy 48 and crossed the 400 at Bradford then picked up Hwy 89 across to Hwy 10 and north to here. It still took as long but I avoided the stop and go jam ups and all the madness of traversing the 401 during rush hour.

O.K. here we go, the much awaited report on the inspection of the Cdn Sprint.

First of I'd like to say the owner of the shop is a great guy and spent most of the day talking with me about the car, how I would like it done. His techniques and methods and why he does what he does. We also discussed materials, suppliers for parts etc. He has a Cdn source for body panels which are of a superior quaility than all the rest of the available foreign made panels (Politically Correct term).

Props to John Nizman from Last Chance Autorestore.com for taking the time to discuss everything with me.

http://www.lastchanceautorestore.com/

Now on to the car itself. It is extremely rough. Every single body panel needs rust repair. Front valance,hood,fenders,inner fender skirts,shock towers,front frame rails,floorpans,torque boxes,doors,rocker panels,rear frame rails,inner wheel wells, quarter panels, trunk pan, trunk extensions, rear panel,rear valance and trunk lid all have severe rust issues. By far the worst is the floorpans, trunk pans and rear quarters but everything else will need work to solve the rot associated from Canadian salt used on our winter roads. It goes without saying that the car needs paint but I said it anyway.:D

Next the interior is shot. The headliner is torn up and hanging down in several spots. Both front seats are torn and very badly stained. The back seat is not torn but badly stained and faded. The carpet is almost non existant. Both door panels are damaged and stained. The dash pad is very badly cracked in several places. The dash itself is not too bad, the speedo and warning light pods look fair but will need to be cleaned up. all of the control bezels are cracked. The turn signal arm is rusted.

There is an incorrect console installed when the 3 speed to auto conversion was done. It has one crack in it on the lower edge driver's side. I have to do some research into what the correct console or shifter cover was in the car originally as I will be changing it back to the 3 speed.

Mechanically everything needs redoing. One look at the motor tells me it needs to come out and be rebuilt. The C6 trans will be ousted for the correct 3 speed and so will the 9" axle that was swapped in too. I will be looking for the correct axle for the car. Brakes, suspension, steering, fuel delivery system and all electrical all need to be redone.

Basically every inch of the car needs a lot of work to get it on the road again. I wouldn't even consider this car at all lest for the fact that it is a Cdn Sprint. According to our friend Marti, Fomoco only made 495 of these cars and currently there are on 6 listed on the registry.

http://www.lovingcreek.com/sprint/CD/Index.htm

This car is 1 of 4 coupes listed in Canada, 1 of 3 with the 302 V8 1 of 2 in Ontario. The Marti report lists this car as 1 of 5 with the 302 V8 and 3 speed manual trans.So if it's back to the 3 speed trans it will be 1 of 1 known to exist. Yeah I know it's not a 429 Super CJ or a rare Mach 1, Cobra or Shelby etc., it's stiil a neat claim to fame.

Anyway to sum it up I'm still on the fence as to whether I should pull the trigger on it. the deal on the car is that in order to purchase it, you as the buyer must agree to hire John to restore it. His estimate on cost of the job and timeframe to completion date would work for me.Opinions requested please! I have too many projects on the go here myself to consider another rotisserie restoration at this point. I'm on the look out for a 73 vert to feed my addiction for these cars in the mean time. I have a specific color/interior color and option level in mind for the vert so it might take some time to find the right car. maybe I need to find a nice driver quality 71 mach 1 to complete the set of 71-73 stangs.;)

If anyone is interested I can post some pictures of the car, John's shop and his work. I took 106 pictures yesterday to document the car in it's current condition. Let me know if you want to see and I'll post some of them here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back