Is low compression ok?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I have built a 415w with 8.25:1 compression, AFR-205, and a hydraulic roller 232/240@ .050-114'. When the money is available, I will be adding a centrifugal supercharger and EFI. Until then, can I run it as is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, can't see why not.

It may be a bit doggy, off the bottom especially.

My high school ride, a '73 Torino fastback, had a junkyard stock, unknown mileage 351w with C9 heads, a 230* @ .050 Crane cam (can't remember which one but it was a little lumpy) and a single plane Offy/Holley 750VS combo. Oh, and a stock torque converter in a stock, slow shifting FMX.

It was probably, at very best, 9:1. And it was a slug off the bottom. Wouldn't spin tire.

All the wrong parts for what I used it for.

Turned 15.40s @89 in the quarter w/ 4.11's out back.

With your heads and cubes, it might be surprising as-is. Add your intended squeeze, and I'd expect to be really impressed!

Remember, those stock, smogger 460's starting in '73ish were something like 8:1 advertised. I've heard that the actual calculated figure was a little less than that. The 460 that's built for my car is a stock dished piston bottom end with early (C8) heads. Might be 9:1, never bothered to calculate it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not sure if I should put it in now or wait till I had the supercharger.

Ha, to me it would be like sitting with a huge bowl of fresh Halloween candy and a cold gallon of milk in front of me...

EAT IT!!!

No question there! :)

I'm just asking because that's the car I'm going to set up with EFI. The motor in that car is a 393w with AFR-185 heads and I slightly milder cam with an Air Gap intake.

Back