Is my sway bar on upside down?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankenstang71

Reaction score
My Car
71 M code, light pewter 4 spd. ram air, no stripes, no spoiler, deluxe or sport interior needs compete restoration .
Hi, 1971 factory rear sway bar, have had it on both ways and doesn't look right to me either way,,,,is this on correctly now or is it upside down? When I put it the other way the ends that connect to the links look upside down, this way looks like it's too far from the gas tank? Thanks in advance...Bryan

Attachments

• IMG_7863.JPG
    IMG_7863.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7866.JPG
    IMG_7866.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Looks right to me. Does it interfere with anything? I think yours has a different bend than the one on my Mustang.
No, it looks like it will clear shock, may be close to pumpkin when down, it just doesn't look right to me sticking out so far, the only pictures I could find online were of the link end and they seem to agree with how I have it now..

It looks good to me. Your car is pretty sanitary underneath. I did notice, in the second photo, that you have a grey vinyl cap on your axle vent fitting. I'm sure you are aware that there is a vent hose that goes from there , up to the frame, where it gets tucked into an opening so your rear end can "breathe".

It looks good to me. Your car is pretty sanitary underneath. I did notice, in the second photo, that you have a grey vinyl cap on your axle vent fitting. I'm sure you are aware that there is a vent hose that goes from there , up to the frame, where it gets tucked into an opening so your rear end can "breathe".
Thanks, yes I’m waiting for npd to restock the “more correct” vent hose kit that’s sold out.

I can’t say for sure but I think you may be right about it being upside down.

There is a great thread that Jpaz started on 2/29/2020 called “Rear Sway Bar” and there’s lots of pictures. His thread is more about working with ADDCO to get their bigger rear bar designed right. You might find that thread helpful but looking at pictures of the 7/8" bars is a little different than your situation.

I have also since upgraded my sway bar but I went back to my old pictures of my original factory bar and how it looked before I removed it. Here’s how it was installed. Again this is the original factory 1/2 inch bar. You can see the middle u-turn is higher and appears to be closer to the gas tank than your photo.

I hope this helps.
Bob

Attachments

• Factory Bar.jpg
    Factory Bar.jpg
    817 KB · Views: 4
Hi, 1971 factory rear sway bar, have had it on both ways and doesn't look right to me either way,,,,is this on correctly now or is it upside down? When I put it the other way the ends that connect to the links look upside down, this way looks like it's too far from the gas tank? Thanks in advance...Bryan
Looks upside down to me. The center section of the bar should be up close to the gas tank. I don’t have any good pics, but I can take a couple of my installed bar if you need me to.

I can’t say for sure but I think you may be right about it being upside down.

There is a great thread that Jpaz started on 2/29/2020 called “Rear Sway Bar” and there’s lots of pictures. His thread is more about working with ADDCO to get their bigger rear bar designed right. You might find that thread helpful but looking at pictures of the 7/8" bars is a little different than your situation.

I have also since upgraded my sway bar but I went back to my old pictures of my original factory bar and how it looked before I removed it. Here’s how it was installed. Again this is the original factory 1/2 inch bar. You can see the middle u-turn is higher and appears to be closer to the gas tank than your photo.

I hope this helps.
Bob
Thanks for the pic, your link end is “turned down “ like mine is in this position…if I switch it the link end is climbing up. ??
Your pics show the correct setup according to my 71.
thanks , I flipped it the other way again and did not like how it looked. I shall consider it on correct now. I have since found more pics for confirmation also. Thanks all for the input. Bryan

Back