is this a BOSS 351?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah there are a lot of them that don't have the chrome. Not 100% sure on this but it may have been an option. Here is a black and white pic of another one. This would be a good research project.

EDIT Here is a pic from the 70's from the BOSS 351 Registry, it's a blue one like Wade's.

1971-ford-mustang-boss-351-photo-561312-s-1280x782.jpg

Jack_Hinson[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I stand corrected. All the official brochures I've seen show painted moldings and gfegder extendions, thus making 3 different styles for our cars: all chrome on sportsroofs, painted moldings with chrome bumper on Bosses and painted moldings with color keyed urethane bunker for Mach1s.

I never saw Bosses with all chrome before. My bad!

IRT the B&W pic, J: So, if it's a Boss 351, why does it have Standard Ram Air TuTone on the hood (and not Boss 351 TuTone)? :whistling:

The black & white pic doesn't even the correct painted hood, just looks like a Mach 1
Yeah... but with a chrome bumper instead of a urethane bumper - so: Mach 1 with a chrome bumper, or Boss 351 with "Mach 1" TuTone? :chin: :shootself:

That B&W picture is just suspect... period. :cool:

The black & white pic doesn't even the correct painted hood, just looks like a Mach 1
Yeah... but with a chrome bumper instead of a urethane bumper - so: Mach 1 with a chrome bumper, or Boss 351 with "Mach 1" TuTone? :chin: :shootself:

That B&W picture is just suspect... period. :cool:

Did not catch that Eric so that one would be suspect. The other Blue one pic came from the BOSS registry so that should be correct. Hope that Wade will chime in on his cars chrome pieces.

I just noticed in the b&w pic it looks like the chin spoiler is gloss? Looks to shinny to me, looks fishy.
Yeah for sure either that or the Armor All'd the crap out of it...lol

Mike

Ford in the 70s. I think they used what they had that day. If they didnt have painted parts, they used the chrome. If they didnt have the dual exhaust rear valence, they used the standard, etc. Sadly, there can never be a 100% standard, because of the way manufacturing and plants ran at the time. Bob Perkins can attest to that, for sure. His original white Boss 351 has a Mach 1 style hood pain scheme. If it was built on a particular Tuesday, it has certain parts. If it was built the next day, who knows. The only 100%, is the R code drive train.

Back