It's a GASSS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Arizona car, 1973 Mach-1, Original 351 Cleveland engine and original C-6 trans, All original body panels, Interior is restored.
Am I the only one here who is having performance issues due to the recent quality of gasoline? I always use premium and add Lucas Gas treatment for top-end lube.
I'm running a Holly 650, on my 351-C. I believe there is too much ethanol in our gas now.

Am I the only one here who is having performance issues due to the recent quality of gasoline? I always use premium and add Lucas Gas treatment for top-end lube.
I'm running a Holly 650, on my 351-C. I believe there is too much ethanol in our gas now.
Can you buy non-ethanol anywhere near you? If so, try it. If that doesn't improve the performance, maybe you have another issue. If so, back to the basics I guess, carb, timing, compression and the list goes on..............

Gas around here has been 10% ethanol since the early 90's, so it's the same as it always has been. We do have winter and summer blends, so I have run into percolation issues if I have winter blend in the tank and the weather gets warm early.

For what it's worth, my 302, not HI PO, I use reg cheap unleaded gas, and add a bottle of DRIVEN carb defender to each fill up.
Supposed to fight against ethanol, help seals in carb against Ethanol, etc... Hope it helps.

I caught a few seconds of a news segment talking about the feds authorizing the use of 15% ethanol in fuel, but I have no idea if that has been acted upon or even if it's come to fruition.

I run 93 octane and I haven't notice any difference lately in engine performance. I tried a tank full of ethanol free 91 octane a while ago and I could tell a difference. I wasnt happy with it. I feel for my engine build 93 with ethanol performs the best. If they go to 15% then it might be a different story. Will have to wait and see what happens.

This morning in SE WI: 87 w/10% @ 4.89 / 88 w/15% @ 4.85 / 91 no eth @ 5.46 / 93 no eth @ 5.85.

I don’t really notice a big diff between 91 or 93, but have never put any corn in my tank because it will affect jetting and of course, timing in a carb’d set up.

What percentage of ethanol do you think should be tolerable?
To me it’s zero for my carb/engine set up. I can’t speak for anyone else but where I live we “currently” have those options. Bouncing between premium UL and corn fed will always perform differently agree?

What percentage of ethanol do you think should be tolerable?
I try to avoid ethanol in our First Generation Mustangs and Shelby, even if it means being stuck with an anemic 90 octane fuel. In the rare times I do need to use ethanol fuel I use VP Racing Fuel's
"Fuel Stabilizer With Ethanol Armor® – 2 & 4-Cycle Engines" to help offset its adverse side effects on our vintage engines.

To me it’s zero for my carb/engine set up. I can’t speak for anyone else but where I live we “currently” have those options. Bouncing between premium UL and corn fed will always perform differently agree?
Agree. Of course, they will and it's good to know that you still have those options.
I try to avoid ethanol in our First Generation Mustangs and Shelby, even if it means being stuck with an anemic 90 octane fuel. In the rare times I do need to use ethanol fuel I use VP Racing Fuel's
"Fuel Stabilizer With Ethanol Armor® – 2 & 4-Cycle Engines" to help offset its adverse side effects on our vintage engines.
Yeah, avoid or add a stabilizer. Better safe than sorry?

Back