Last day of early retirement.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Qcode mach1
After less than two months of retirement it is now time to rejoin the world of the productive. ::chili:: I worked for the last twenty years putting kids through school with a job I could barely tolerate and an hours commute every day and going nowhere. Tomorrow I am going back to work but in a totally different mindset. I am going to be doing something I actually enjoy again and getting two paychecks.

Working one place for twenty years at a job I hated gave me a retirement check for the rest of my life. Going back to the place I actually loved to work to was always on the back burner. I was not certain they would even want an older former employee back. I guess that experience and a solid work record do count for some companies.

I could live on what I have but not in the way we all want and certainly I couldn't afford my car hobby.

A little history for my new friends here. Twenty years ago I was working for a large defense contractor doing really fun stuff. I left that job during a family crisis and started working for a very large University where I did communications systems maintenance. Then on August 24th 2005 I was given a second life by some really great doctors. Thats when my job got boring as nobody knew what to do with me and I sat at a desk for the next five years. Doing nothing productive is very boring and you loose your sense of purpose and pride in what you do, so I asked to go back in the field and do some work. Unfortunately the work had changed and was just as mindless as sitting at the desk. I told people I could train a monkey to do my job now. Take phone from box, plug in and wait, dial number and goto the next room. I was working on teaching BoBo to dial when the work ran out. Now the OPS monkey does the job for half the money and no bennies.

The new old job starts tomorrow and I can't wait. Five minute commute and actually working for people that appreciate what you do.:amen:

Rick

Good luck on the new job. I retired about 3 years ago and had planned on going on to another career, but some health problems set me back and I enjoyed staying at home too much. Keep us posted on how it goes.

My dad told me once a long time ago..."When you're doing something you love to do, it ain't really work". Good on ya mate !

Back