Leaf spring install issue.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredensborg

I like music, languages, weaponry, and freedom.
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
1980 Bronco
A couple modern Fords
My son and I were starting to put the rear suspension back in the Mustang today, everything was going great until we got the new leaf springs in…the springs look like they are too short, the shackles are pointing towards the front of the car. I called Eaton and they said that I might be able to use a rachet strap or something? I need to compress the springs in some way to get the shackle pointed toward the rear. Any ideas? These are +2” springs, so I suppose that will make it all the more difficult. Could I unhook the rear shackle and then use a jack to compress the spring till it rides the frame back far enough? 

F08979B1-7819-476C-A5D8-35FE69904A32.jpeg

6CF23EF9-6A2C-440C-89BD-5AC4F47EBEA8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
After giving this a second look, maybe it’s ok? Here’s a video of me pumping the jack under the pumpkin. It appears to be traveling where I need it to go. The car is on jack stands right now so there is no weight on it at all. But I don’t want to tighten everything up if I have done something stupid here…

You should be fine.  With out the weight of the car on the springs the arch in the spring is going to pull the shackles forward.
That’s kinda what I suspected, it just looked weird to me and I wanted to verify. Thank you!

Check the Eaton videos posted before. Tighten and torque to spec with the full weight on the axle.
Correct.  Hand tighten leaf spring bolts, then drive slowly around the block or two; then tighten to spec.

Back