Leaf Spring Removal/Installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbstrong

Reaction score
My Car
1973 351C - 2V - Sportsroof
Seeking some help on process of removing and installing leaf springs. Can someone validate or tell me if I am missing something:

Removal

-Car on jack stands, remove tires

-Let differential hang

-Remove shocks

-Remove u-bolts

-Jack up differential and put on jack stands

-remove leaf springs

Installation

-Install leaf springs (do I leave hand tight for later, or torque down?)

-Remove jack stands from differential and lower differential

-Install u-bolts (been told to hand tighten)

-Install shocks

-Raise car and remove jack stands

-Lower car and torque u-bolts

-

Sounds good,just don't torque down your front and rear spring bolts till you let it down and get full weight of the car on them.You could also do one spring at a time if you don't have enough jack stands.
So basically hand-tighten everything until after the car is on the ground?

Ya,you might want to get your u bolt a little more than hand tight,but ya ,torque everything with weight on the springs.
Thanks, got my suspension kit in and am going to tackle the rear and finish my dual exhaust when I get the springs in.

doing the same thing in a little while. what springs did you go with?
I went with the Mustang Plus "Grab-a-Track" kit. I am keeping the original engine, tranny, etc. so I don't need anything above a good refresh. There are always opinions, good and bad, but overall believe it is a good kit, great prices. Better than my original worn out parts.

doing the same thing in a little while. what springs did you go with?
I went with the Mustang Plus "Grab-a-Track" kit. I am keeping the original engine, tranny, etc. so I don't need anything above a good refresh. There are always opinions, good and bad, but overall believe it is a good kit, great prices. Better than my original worn out parts.
Actually found a good article that outlines the replacement last night using the Mustang Plus stuff.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/suspension/mdmp_1103_1972_ford_mustang_mach_1_front_suspension_upgrade_part_2/photo_12.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope your bolts on the leaf springs to frame in the front mount come apart ok, mine were stuck bad on the passenger side, had to cut the passenger side bolt off, Get some real good penetrating oil and soak the nuts up good.

Back