Leaf springs from experience ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 460 crites headers,summit cam ,edelbrock dual plane hi-rise intake,edelbrock 780 carb,C-6 trans,Pertronix flamethrower 2 billet distributor & coil
I" ve seen the not too old threads about springs,looking for insight before I pull the trigger on a much needed replacement.I"ve got a 460 & C6 where a 351C & fmx was original.I"ve put 71 429 coils in to try to hold up the Crites long tube headers from beating themselves to death on front.2.75 standard rear ,no rear swaybar,which is going to trac loc someday.Ocasionally will have rear seat passengers,street cruising ,no racing ,but the roads in Maine are usually rough unless you're on the highway.I would like the rear to sit about an inch over stock to help on the bad roads & low exhaust without looking like a 4x4 or riding to hard.Trying to decide between 4.5 or 5 leaf & should I go with the 1 inch longer shackles,I realize new springs will raise the rear from what it is,but the rear always looked low to me even on some cars with new replacemant springs.Hoping for some advice from you guys with a few miles on your spring choices. :huh:

I bought whatever Don @ OMS sold me and it raised mine what I considered to be to high so I added lowering blocks to mine
That last pic of your car is my favorite,looks great in all though.Off topic ,but what are your exhaust tips ,nice? Just trying to get some preferences,it's hard though,1 guy likes 5, the next 4.5, ........4. I supose sometimes it just takes experimenting with what you want.How does yours ride ,no. of leafs ? :)

Eric

The tips are a little large for me but I have got used to them:s The guy that built my exhaust picked the size, I just told him I wanted stainless. It rides OK to me, maybe Mark will chime in he has ridden in it so he could give an outsiders opinion. You are right on the opinions, thats why I just built mine to make ME happy.

Ya know, I've always thought that the El Camino looked awesome lifted 4x4, and now that mustang is a competitor. I'd roll around in that anywhere!

Get some axle under leaf spring perches that will bring the car up a good amount

What's wrong with a 4x4 mustang I truly like the look
That would be a great car for tommorow,we're expecting 16 to 24 inches of snow Friday.Don't you miss shoveling snow Auron ?
:D

Get some axle under leaf spring perches that will bring the car up a good amount

What's wrong with a 4x4 mustang I truly like the look
That would be a great car for tommorow,we're expecting 16 to 24 inches of snow Friday.Don't you miss shoveling snow Auron ?
:D
I was just thinking the samething. Rhode Island is under the Blizzard Watch with expected amounts of 24"-30"!!!

I have 5 leaf 200 pound rate springs with a standard eye position.

I would buy fiberglass monoleafs if I were to do it again.

That being said, I would look at the 4 1/2 rather than the 5 as they will ride better. adjust the height with the spring eye selection first and fine tune with a 1" lowering block if too high and then an extended shackle if too low. I don't like extended shackles personally and I would not go over 1" with the lowering blocks.

Jeff something is not right with the 200 lb rating - might be 200 PSI ?

Stock spring for a 73 351 4 V 63R with handling is a 649 lb spring

The stock springs I carry are rated at 655 lb

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
200 lb Rate, not load.

a 200 lb rate means that the spring will deflect 1" for each 200 pound loading. For example at 3" of compression the rate is still 200#'s but the load is now 600 #s

I did not mean to confuse anyone. Thank you Don for straightening me out-I feel like an overloaded leaf spring now!

Jeff something is not right with the 200 lb rating - might be 200 PSI ?

Stock spring for a 73 351 4 V 63R with handling is a 649 lb spring

The stock springs I carry are rated at 655 lb

Don
Don ,

That's the hard part I"m trying to figure out .I"m hoping to get enough imput to do this once.I don"t want too firm a ride ,but want to handle a little extra weight occasionally(back seat pass.) With slight height over stock without looking like a highschool airshock job.But also handle the 460 that will go to trac-loc someday. :huh:

4-link w/ coil overs?
I know we have so many upgrades for our cars,but money limits me to the most econominal fix to get me cruising this spring.

Back