Leaf Springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mac 1
Look like I'm going to be doing a little work on the rear end and upgrading some components. I have a 73 Mach 1 Q code. Assuming I want a stock ride height and appearance of the springs would Eaton be a good company to go to for leaf springs and the associated hardware? Am I looking at a 4 or 5 spring set up? There appear to be 5 springs on there now.

I would not mind upgrading the handling a bit but I am not looking to make the ride overly harsh as I am just cruising on the street with this car.

Thanks.

Look like I'm going to be doing a little work on the rear end and upgrading some components. I have a 73 Mach 1 Q code. Assuming I want a stock ride height and appearance of the springs would Eaton be a good company to go to for leaf springs and the associated hardware? Am I looking at a 4 or 5 spring set up? There appear to be 5 springs on there now.

I would not mind upgrading the handling a bit but I am not looking to make the ride overly harsh as I am just cruising on the street with this car.

Thanks.
yes, eaton is good . . the boss 351 145 lb springs are a noticeable increase in firmness but not harsh or excessive . . the problem is that your car is probably over 1' lower than it was when it was new so the new springs will raise it up and make it look like a stink bug . . if you want it lower then it was when new than maybe eaton can do that too . . if they can't then check out mid eye springs in the 135 - 150 lb range from npd or mustangs unlimited etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
NPD has the best price on Eaton springs. They don't have a large selection but the 1" lowering are suppose to be compatible to the competition springs offered with our cars. I really like the hieght. Not sure about stiffness as 8 am still in restore mode.. Also you will have to detail them as the have a crapy paint on them from Eaton.

Eaton makes good springs

I've got the 5 leaf 200 lb/in rating springs They are harsh. They do however, do a good job of not allowing the tires to "hop" on acceleration.

You can accomplish much of the same thing with their 4 1/2 leaf springs that have a 1/2 leaf on the front of the spring to prevent axle wrap and the overall lower rating still allows a more pliable ride. I may be removing a leaf in the near future.

Hope this helps

Thanks guys. I was thinking that any standard spring is going to lift me up a bit as the current ones are shot.

Kind of annoys me that for all that money I'm going to have to paint them anyway!

I had some exhaust work done today and I am happy as the leak at the H pipe is gone now and the car sounds great.

Of course, while the car was in the air I saw some other issues towards the rear end so........

Thanks guys. I was thinking that any standard spring is going to lift me up a bit as the current ones are shot.

Kind of annoys me that for all that money I'm going to have to paint them anyway!

I had some exhaust work done today and I am happy as the leak at the H pipe is gone now and the car sounds great.

Of course, while the car was in the air I saw some other issues towards the rear end so........
Have you considered just replacing all the spring and shackle bushings? From what I've seen worn out bushings account for most, if not all, of the sag. Chuck

I have Eaton 2" lift rear springs, and Eaton stock-height front coils with a 1" spacer.

I absolutely HATE the stock set-up, especially the lower-in-the-rear set-up. It looks anemic to me that way.

The biggest stock-size tires (F-60-15) still look tiny in those cavernous wheel-well cavaties.

My car now sits level front-to-rear and I have 255/60/15s all around. These tires fill the wheel-wells nicely without looking too-obviously larger than stock.

No one has ever noticed or mentioned to me that they noticed how the car was jacked up and with bigger tires...it really just looks "right" this way.

However, on more than one occasion I have been parked next to other stock-suspensioned 71-73 Machs, and casual onlookers have asked what was wrong with the other car!

Last edited:
I have Eaton 2" lift rear springs, and Eaton stock-height front coils with a 1" spacer.

I absolutely HATE the stock set-up, especially the lower- the-rear set-up. It looks anemic to me that way.

The biggest stock-size tires (F-60-15) still look tiny in those cavernous wheel-well cavaties.

My now sits level front-to-rear and I have 255/60/15s all around. These tires fill the wheel-wells nicely without looking too-obviously larger than stock.

No one has ever noticed or mentioned to me that they noticed how the car was jacked up and with bigger tires...it really just looks "right" this way.

However, on more than one occasion I have been parked next to other stock-suspensioned 71-73 Machs, and casual onlookers have asked what was wrong with the other car!
I agree with you. I have the same tires as you. I like the car level which it is right now. Even with the worn springs. I'm thinking a stock spring size might keep me level or maybe a little high in the rear. Then, I can start with the front suspension!

Have you considered just replacing all the spring and shackle bushings? From what I've seen worn out bushings account for most, if not all, of the sag. Chuck
That s good to know. I was going to do the bushings. The springs look rather flat to me. Little arch to them. I have no idea how long they have been on the car. Do factory ones have any marks on them? If these are original are they worth at least storing?

I have a set of grab-a-trac 5 leaf mideyes like new you can have if you want came off my green 72..Depending on where u are in ny I may not be far from you. I'm close to Brewster Ny

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1965-1973-Mustang-Leaf-Springs-5-Leaf-Mid-Eye-Grab-A-Trak-R.html
Super offer. Thank you very much. I'm trying to figure out which way to go but that is generous of you. I'm about 75 miles from you. I could never take something of that value so we would have to work out a price. I hate to even ask but could someone explain what mid eyes are as opposed to the standard spring?

Super offer. Thank you very much. I'm trying to figure out which way to go but that is generous of you. I'm about 75 miles from you. I could never take something of that value so we would have to work out a price. I hate to even ask but could someone explain what mid eyes are as opposed to the standard spring?
Well what ever you feel you want to pay.. pm me if you decide you want them

WOW Q!! That's a great offer ... way to step up for a fellow member.

I have my car sitting slightly up in the ass end. I just prefer it that way compared to stock height or lowered. Just my preference. I think it looks more natural slightly sloping down in the front end. Not sure what springs are under mine....assuming they are stock. But someone added shackle extensions to get a little more height. I like the ride height so I have never changed any of the springs for fear of messing up my ride height and getting something I don't like. Also I have a good bit bigger tire in the rear now to take up the wheel well space in the pics

2jg6ys4.jpg

zx9mds.jpg

, on more than one occasion I have been parked next to other stock-suspensioned 71-73 Machs, and casual onlookers have asked what was wrong with the other car!
My car with worn out stock springs next to Jim and Jutta's with fresh suspension. Made mine look slammed.

Meet_zpsc558609f.jpg

With grab a track 5 leaf rears and a 2" drop in front. Might go back up another inch in front.

IMG_0932_zpseef73b16.jpg

IMG_0933_zps80df9b93.jpg

The original springs are stamped with a number and, in my opinion, worth keeping. Chuck

IMG_1778.JPG

The original springs are stamped with a number and, in my opinion, worth keeping. Chuck
thanks Chuck. I'll have to clean mine off over there to see if there is a number. Thanks for the image.

Now, there is one other issue. If I am doing the rear and the front suspension is a bit worn am I just asking for issues?

Am I better served buying a full suspension "pre packged" kit with front componets as well? I realize I can go on like this forever!

Returning the rear suspension to OEM condition should not impact the front suspension. The front suspension and steering is way more complicated, expensive and requires more home work before you buy. Some pieces are of higher quality and closer to stock appearance than others. It depends on what you want and the car habit budget. If you want near stock appearance and function, I'd contact Don at OMS and ask about a package deal if you want all the suspension/steering components. Just a suggestion. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. Chuck

Returning the rear suspension to OEM condition should not impact the front suspension. The front suspension and steering is way more complicated, expensive and requires more home work before you buy. Some pieces are of higher quality and closer to stock appearance than others. It depends on what you want and the car habit budget. If you want near stock appearance and function, I'd contact Don at OMS and ask about a package deal if you want all the suspension/steering components. Just a suggestion. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. Chuck
Thanks Chuck. Just picked up the car after having the exhaust done. Good to have it back and no more under car leak!

thanks Chuck. I'll have to clean mine off over there to see if there is a number. Thanks for the image.

Now, there is one other issue. If I am doing the rear and the front suspension is a bit worn am I just asking for issues?

Am I better served buying a full suspension "pre packged" kit with front componets as well? I realize I can go on like this forever!
the "kits" don't always have the spring rates you might want . . scott drake and moog premium line are good stock type replacements for linkage and suspension arms etc..

the "kits" don't always have the spring rates you might want . . scott drake and moog premium line are good stock type replacements for linkage and suspension arms etc..
I was thinking that. A kit not letting you customize what you might want. I'll check those two sources

Back